Technicals and Guntrucks

Started by philp, October 20, 2010, 12:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Interesting photo.

Do you know if it's a captured Russian weapon ? I ask because I've not seen German Maxim's mounted on that type of small wheeled carriage before
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 17, 2011, 04:09:18 AM
Interesting photo.

Do you know if it's a captured Russian weapon ? I ask because I've not seen German Maxim's mounted on that type of small wheeled carriage before

Most armies of the period wore similar uniforms with that style of forage cap - even the British had them for a while.  Could be Russian, could be German, could be Austro-Hungarian.   The weapon does look Russian, with that wheeled carriage.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Preaty sure the troops are German from the uniforms. Thats why I was wondering if it was a captured weapon
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Probably - off the top of my head I can't remember if that predates the Hussite war wagons. They carried hand gunners and sometimes small bombards

Someone does a resin kit of that Leonardo machine and it might be in the range Italeri have/are bringing out

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 17, 2011, 07:52:27 AM
Probably - off the top of my head I can't remember if that predates the Hussite war wagons. They carried hand gunners and sometimes small bombards

I salaam to your encyclopaedaic knowledge !    Hussites were about 1420 to 1435, as I recall, and Leonardo wasn't born until 1452.   Anyone care to offer an earlier  war wagon than 1420?

rickshaw

IIRC various ancient peoples utilise different types of war wagons to varying degrees of success.  The Persians and the Indians are two which spring to mind.   One could suppose that you could include chariots in this classification and if that is allowed, then the field is open from ancient China through to ancient Briton via Egypt and Northern Africa.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Well I would only include vehicles that carried a weapon rather then being a vehicle from which troops fight with their normal weapons or dismount and fight.

In that case I go for the Romans possibly. Somewhere I have a reference to a waggon carrying a small Ballista which was used in combat mounted. I've seen reference to small Onagers mounted on waggons as well but if that's true, and it's harder to believe, then that would probably get classed as the earliest SPG  ;D

Weaver

Quote from: Thiel on March 17, 2011, 12:47:50 AM

Just in case you though gun-trucks were a new idea.

It's a Russian "Tachanka", captured by the Germans (same pic in the link below). They were allegedly invented by the Ukrainian Anarchist commander Nestor Makhno during the Russian Civil War, but whether he invented them or not, he was certainly an enthusiastic and skilful user of them, to the point where they became his "signature" weapon.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachanka
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 18, 2011, 01:49:29 AM
Well I would only include vehicles that carried a weapon rather then being a vehicle from which troops fight with their normal weapons or dismount and fight.

In that case I go for the Romans possibly. Somewhere I have a reference to a waggon carrying a small Ballista which was used in combat mounted. I've seen reference to small Onagers mounted on waggons as well but if that's true, and it's harder to believe, then that would probably get classed as the earliest SPG  ;D

I seem to have instigated another bout of thread drift.    Apologies!  What started out as a sensible contemporary question   has wandered off into the mediaeval realm............but I'm impressed with the scolarship being revealed.

Weaver

Oh I dunno - you could do a "timeslip" diorama with a technical full of Arab guys with AK-47s and a DShK driving past a horse-drawn wagon full of Arab guys with spears and bows. Use the same figures in both vehicles to make the point that nothing ever changes.... ;D

(Sure I've seen "Arab Warriors" figure packs somewhere....)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

There's a few, just do a search on Hannants for Arab under All Figures, ignore the French Carabiniers.  There's camel sets too that might be useful.

Talking of Camels, do these count as gun 'trucks'?  The weapons are mounted on the beasts....

Going a step further.... :o

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Old Wombat

Nah, they're a sub-division of Horse Artillery.

Why has the Arab in the bottom picture got PIAT's? :blink:

Nobody uses PIAT's...

... Well, not if they can get a decent blow-pipe, anyway.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

I don't think Gatlings were fired from the camels Mossie but that camel mounted heavy "musket" in Jaipur definately was. Of course there were also Elephant mounted guns.

Quote from: Weaver on March 18, 2011, 02:28:37 AM
It's a Russian "Tachanka", captured by the Germans (same pic in the link below). They were allegedly invented by the Ukrainian Anarchist commander Nestor Makhno during the Russian Civil War, but whether he invented them or not, he was certainly an enthusiastic and skilful user of them, to the point where they became his "signature" weapon.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachanka

Only problem I have with that is that the uniforms look "classic" WWI to me. They could be "Frei Korps" circa 1918/1920 but look far to smart for that (the braiding in particular).  Just looks to early for Russian Civil War ??