Technicals and Guntrucks

Started by philp, October 20, 2010, 12:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

They're German soldiers with a captured weapon (& probably pre-1917, from the look of them). <_<
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 18, 2011, 08:22:06 AM
I don't think Gatlings were fired from the camels Mossie but that camel mounted heavy "musket" in Jaipur definately was. Of course there were also Elephant mounted guns.

Quote from: Weaver on March 18, 2011, 02:28:37 AM
It's a Russian "Tachanka", captured by the Germans (same pic in the link below). They were allegedly invented by the Ukrainian Anarchist commander Nestor Makhno during the Russian Civil War, but whether he invented them or not, he was certainly an enthusiastic and skilful user of them, to the point where they became his "signature" weapon.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachanka

Only problem I have with that is that the uniforms look "classic" WWI to me. They could be "Frei Korps" circa 1918/1920 but look far to smart for that (the braiding in particular).  Just looks to early for Russian Civil War ??

Well maybe it is WWI and there's the proof that Makhno didn't invent them (he just used them to great effect). The caption on the picture is ambiguous. In any case, since Gatling guns had been mounted on wagons MUCH earlier than that, it's all a bit cheeky anyway.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Anyway, weren't we talking gun-trucks here; not gun-wagons, gun-carriages or gun-carts. :unsure:

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 18, 2011, 08:55:45 AM
They're German soldiers with a captured weapon (& probably pre-1917, from the look of them). <_<

Thank you  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 20, 2011, 01:49:49 AM
Anyway, weren't we talking gun-trucks here; not gun-wagons, gun-carriages or gun-carts. :unsure:

Yes but you know what we're like when we get started  :blink: :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Yup! ;D

... but the discussion was getting a little warm about, well, something slightly off-topic. :rolleyes:

Mossie

Not really, just historic equivalents.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 20, 2011, 07:26:21 AM
Yup! ;D

... but the discussion was getting a little warm about, well, something slightly off-topic. :rolleyes:

Sorry,  I'm probably the guilty party this time, I was the bloke who introduced  Leonardo !! Mea Culpa.......but it was interesting none the less
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

Oh, it was interesting, right enough! :thumbsup:
... and it wasn't the "off topic" part that worried me.

However, some people (me included) tend to get a bit uptight about some pretty nit-picky trivia, sometimes. :rolleyes:

raafif

There was another guntruck thread on here a few months ago but I'll post this again ....

Tatra SOT guntruck - Afghanistan -- model kit by MMK
http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=1118&osCsid=28179fce8160d4e6436951f29b91e591
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Old Wombat

$238...Is that all? :blink:

If I had the cash lying around, I'd buy it but I'd prefer it to come out in mass-produced styrene.

That & an ASASR 110 LandRover & the new(ish) HobbyBoss Defender XD "Wolf" WMIK.

Ah, money.... What I wouldn't do to have bucket loads more of it. (OK, I've come up with a list long enough to remove this... starting with Radish :P)

:bow: MONEY :bow:

rickshaw

I suppose I should make a useful contribution.  :lol:   Armory, a Ukrainian model company makes this:

described as a "Ural-4320 armoured guntruck PE set" Apparently used in Chechyna.  Their website is: http://armory.in.ua/index.php.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Thiel

The V3.
It was build by the Danish resistance towards the end of WWII.
Unlike many resistance projects it actually saw service when the Germans surrendered.

raafif

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 21, 2011, 08:04:49 PM
$238...Is that all? :blink:

Well, yes, if I could afford it, I'd definately buy it too  :lol:
But it does offer more ideas for a more up-to-date version on a modern chassis -- the US 5ton etc trucks are quite dated looking with no styling.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

It appears that some people took offence to my indirect reference to the Seinfeld character of the "Soup-N*zi".  I have amended my post and hereby apologise to them.  No offence was intended.  It was a tongue-in-cheek reference and nothing more.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Not me!

Here's a German gun truck;

Aussie (ASASR?) LandRover "gun truck"

A link to a Sci-Fi gun truck (sorta)

http://cghub.com/images/view/77936/