Technicals and Guntrucks

Started by philp, October 20, 2010, 12:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

I think what troubles me is the idea of them "sorting themselves out", as if they're running on parrallel courses like a spread of torpedoes. They're not: they only "sort themselves out" to the extent of travelling in a straightish line (subject to gravity and cross-winds, of course), but if the straight line of one of them is different to the straight line of the others due to collisions or interference, them nothing will correct it, and the further it goes, the more off-boresight it will get.

Of course, you're right that whether the resultant dispersion is acceptable or not is a matter of expectation, and expectations shouldn't be too high for an improvised mounting, plus there's the fact that the Soviet 57mm rocket is an indifferent performer even in ideal circumstances. Of course we never actually see the results of these shots on TV, so whether the results really satisfy the users is rather a moot point, indeed, being basically a bunch of optimistic amateurs (bless 'em for it mind) they may not see the results themselves!

As to their faith in firing so few at a time, I suspect this comes from three factors:

a) Optimism: they may honestly believe that if they fire half-a-dozen rockets, at least one of them should hit the target. Remember, these are the same people who will hold an AK over their heads and fire it with their eyes shut...

b) Reloads: the logistics train that provides them with new rockets is probably highly shaky and unreliable, so they may want to husband what they've got with them.

c) Collateral damage: these guys are fighting in their own county and have no particular ethnic/religious beef with the majority of innocents in the middle that might lead to the latter being dehumanised in their eyes. They are mostly trying to show considerable restraint, and a lot of the "fighting" strikes me as a game of bluff and bluster: scaring the enemy into surrendering, retreating or just putting their guns down and stopping is preferable to actually killing them. Massed indiscriminate rocket barrages have no place in this: it's not Russia in 1944....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Ha!  I think ol' Joe had the answer to that - "quantity has a quality all its own...."  ;D

More seriously, I accept your points.  They are more than likely true.  Considering how long this Revolution is taking and from what I've seen on the screen, this is more a case of demonstration/counter-demonstration than anything else.  Not meaning to detract from the fact they've shown a willingness to take up arms against their oppressors but it appears many are willing to fight for their cause but few really seem willing to die for it.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Arc3371

Would this qualify as a technical? ;D

pyro-manic

It needs another wheel and some pedals first. ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

ChernayaAkula

That set-up lendsthe term "self-propelled" a totally new meaning !  :thumbsup:

It has its benefits, though. One wheel and two legs probably provide a more stable firing platform than the rickety suspension on some shagged-out Land Cruiser.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

rickshaw

Quote from: Arc3371 on October 12, 2011, 05:42:29 PM

Clearly it is a Gun Wheelbarrow, Mk.I.  After mixed user comments, these were quickly superseded by the Mk.II and then by the Tricycle Mk.I in service.   ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Scooterman

Better chock that wheel to meet OSHA and/or HSE requirements before operating!

Rheged

Quote from: rickshaw on October 12, 2011, 07:30:36 PM

Clearly it is a Gun Wheelbarrow, Mk.I.  After mixed user comments, these were quickly superseded by the Mk.II and then by the Tricycle Mk.I in service.   ;D

What the photograph does not show are the unicycle mounted dragoons  who accompany this wondrous device into battle............ I understand that  the original idea was developed by  Mr Mac Gregor, a wheelbarrow pushing gardener,  as a means of quelling the  Peter Rabbit battalion of  General  Beatrix Potter's  forces.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Maverick

On a mildly serious note, how the hey is the Duskha not tipping the contraption over? 

I mean it's a 'heavy' machine gun balanced on a pintle on a dinky wheelbarrow..

Regards,

Mav

Old Wombat

Well, so far, because it's quite well balanced ....

..... but mostly .....

...... 'Coz no sod's loaded it & pulled the trigger, mate! :cheers:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 13, 2011, 02:31:43 AM
Well, so far, because it's quite well balanced ....

..... but mostly .....

...... 'Coz no sod's loaded it & pulled the trigger, mate! :cheers:

Feh, it's a rolling tripod. The legs'll dig in and help stabilize the recoil. 
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on October 13, 2011, 01:44:13 AM
What the photograph does not show are the unicycle mounted dragoons  who accompany this wondrous device into battle............ I understand that  the original idea was developed by  Mr Mac Gregor, a wheelbarrow pushing gardener,  as a means of quelling the  Peter Rabbit battalion of  General  Beatrix Potter's  forces.

Quite right too: that Peter Rabbit's a little sod: http://www.strategypage.com/humor/articles/military_jokes_200691721.asp

(somewhat not work-safe for language: it's NOT the video version though)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Caveman

Anyone else imagining it being pushed by a guy on a segway?
secretprojects forum migrant

Martin H

Quote from: Caveman on October 13, 2011, 10:21:02 AM

Anyone else imagining it being pushed by a guy on a segway?
Hmmm a segway gun tractor.............................
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Arc3371

Heh, yeah someone should really do a PS of that ;D