Swept-Wing Ryan Fireball

Started by kitnut617, February 06, 2010, 04:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

So another project has come to mind last night.  Since I've got all my reference books back on shelves now, I was having a browse through the stack of Ginter books I have, one in particular I started to re-read was about the Ryan Fireball and Darkshark.  It struck me that maybe the USAF used the wrong aircraft to test slow speed flight charateristics with the Bell L-39 (P-63), after studying pictures of the Fireball and also finding one of my L-39 kits a few days ago, I think this would be a fairly good conversion, the wing of the L-39 has the leading edge radiator intakes which are remarkable similar to the Fireball's air intakes.  Plus lengthening the rear fuselage would be a snap, it being practically round from just behind the cockpit to the front of the jet engine.  The u/c seem to be in the right place too and the only other thing I think I will change is the piston engine and cowling to an R-2800 from a Bearcat.  It could lead to an in-service type -------
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 06, 2010, 04:53:38 PM
So another project has come to mind last night.  Since I've got all my reference books back on shelves now, I was having a browse through the stack of Ginter books I have, one in particular I started to re-read was about the Ryan Fireball and Darkshark.  It struck me that maybe the USAF used the wrong aircraft to test slow speed flight charateristics with the Bell L-39 (P-63), after studying pictures of the Fireball and also finding one of my L-39 kits a few days ago, I think this would be a fairly good conversion, the wing of the L-39 has the leading edge radiator intakes which are remarkable similar to the Fireball's air intakes.  Plus lengthening the rear fuselage would be a snap, it being practically round from just behind the cockpit to the front of the jet engine.  The u/c seem to be in the right place too and the only other thing I think I will change is the piston engine and cowling to an R-2800 from a Bearcat.  It could lead to an in-service type -------

Well after getting a Fireball in the mail a couple of days ago, I've done some trial fit-up.  I don't think it's going to work how I envisioned it, it's a lot bigger than the L-39/P-63 to start with and maybe I'm looking at the wrong wings.  I think I'll have to use some F-86 wings instead.  I've looked at a P-61 cowling just to see how an R-2800 would fit too, might be on to something here.  Going back to the Ginter book I see that the Darkshark had an 11 foot diameter prop --- so did a late Spitfire --- so now it's going to get a contra-prop as we know that prop was good for 550 mph   :wacko:

kitnut617

Thanks for that Jon   :thumbsup:

Extending the rear fuselage was in the plan from the start, just trying to determine how much.  The Ginter book reveals that to get at the jet engine, the rear fuselage was detached at a point just behind the wing like the F-86 did, the difference being the engine went with the rear fuselage instead of remaing attached to the forward fuselage.  This would suggest that the tail wouldn't have to be extended too much like on the L-39 (which had a four foot plug inserted just behind it's engine) because of the weight factor being moved back too.  But because the R-2800 weighs almost double the original R-1820 plus I'm going to put the Spitfire contra-prop on too, maybe it still has to go that far.  Think on it, I will (in my best Yoda accent)   :lol:

jcf

Here is the comparative profile of the FR-1 and stretched XFR-4 from the Squadron Mini In-Action on the Fireball.

Jet engine specifications for FR-1 and XFR-4:
GE I-16
Length: 1.83 m (72.05 in)
Diameter: 1.05 m (41.34 in)
Weight: 360 kg (793.67 lbs)

Westinghouse J-34
Length: 3.1 m (122.05 in)
Diameter: .61 m (24.05 in)
Weight: 570 kg (1256.64 lbs)

Just for fun I did a  quickie profile of the kitnut special FR-1 with the XFR-4 extended tail, a stretched cowling for an R-2800 and contra-props. Sorry, but you'll have to add your own swept wings and spinner. ;)

Cheers

kitnut617

kitnut617

I think I'll add the enlarged dorsal fillet that the Darkshark got too.