Alternate F4D WHIF

Started by KJ_Lesnick, October 21, 2010, 10:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Apophenia,

QuoteKJ: the F5D had area-ruling (I've exaggerated it into more of a Kuchemann-like shape).

True, but the F5D was first flown 5 years after the F4D did.  My WHIF idea calls for a design built and flown around the same time-frame as the Douglas F4D.  It's possible that Wallace D. Hayes PhD dissertation didn't get the attention it should because it was entirely listed as mathematical formulae and not drawings.  Still, you'd think there would be some aerospace engineers who would realize the significance of the document (and would have been able to have interpreted the numbers to a design shape).

QuoteThe low-wing delta you suggest would probably be structurally simpler.

I don't know what the USN's attitude on canards would be though.  While a canard can be a perfectly safe, and practical concept, so long as the canard is used as a trimming device, and not a pitch control device (I'm guessing that's because in order to be a pitch control device, the maximum angle of attack of the canard would have to be greater than the wing's), and it stalls before the wing does.  Technically the vortices off the tips of the canards can be used to assist the main wing -- such as a configuration used on the Saab Viggen (though I don't know if the technological know-how existed to do this last part).  Regardless, the USN tended sometimes to be quick to weed out designs that they were not highly confident of.

QuoteBut, my premise for the 'F6D Skylancer II' was starting from the F4D lineage ... which, of course, the real-life F5D did as well.

I know what you were trying to do (and it's actually quite a nice looking aircraft); it simply isn't exactly what I was going for (no offense of course)

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

KJ_Lesnick

JCF,

QuoteEvidently the old, non-afterburning CJ805 equipped XF4D-1 regularly waxed service USAF and USN fighters
in un-official dogfights.  Much to the enjoyment of the GE test pilots and embarrassment of the service pilots. ;D

The Gunter book relates that a clean F-100 was the only aircraft able to give a good account of itself against GE Ford,
"other than this, nothing could stay with the Skyray in a turn."

I'm surprised the F4D-1 with a non-afterburning J79 would have the same sustained agility as an F-100 with an afterburner.  

Out of curiosity, what other USN and USAF aircraft were put up against the F4D-1?

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on November 16, 2010, 05:30:52 PM
I'm surprised the F4D-1 with a non-afterburning J79 would have the same sustained agility as an F-100 with an afterburner.  

Backtracking on this, it was probably because the Ford had a much lower wing loading, as do most deltas, and could thus turn tighter and for longer.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 14, 2010, 02:54:34 AM
Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on November 16, 2010, 05:30:52 PM

Backtracking on this, it was probably because the Ford had a much lower wing loading, as do most deltas, and could thus turn tighter and for longer.

... and that the particular Ford in question was stripped of all non-essential equipment when it was converted to an engine test-bed.
It had no guns, radars etc., just the basic equipment required for flight and the test instrumentation for the J79/CJ805.

In other words, it's a bit like a stock sedan going up against a similar car that has been hot-rodded.  ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 14, 2010, 01:43:04 PM
... and that the particular Ford in question was stripped of all non-essential equipment when it was converted to an engine test-bed.
It had no guns, radars etc., just the basic equipment required for flight and the test instrumentation for the J79/CJ805.

In other words, it's a bit like a stock sedan going up against a similar car that has been hot-rodded.  ;)

So why did they bother to test it against an F-100? The test was meaningless...........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 14, 2010, 02:33:10 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 14, 2010, 01:43:04 PM

So why did they bother to test it against an F-100? The test was meaningless...........

Because the 'tests' were completely ad-hoc and unofficial. It was simply a matter of the USAF and USN service
pilots trying it on against the CJ805 powered XF4D-1 when it was in their neighborhood, as it was on a regular
basis. The CJ805 test-program lasted for two years and the aircraft ranged all over the Southern half of
California and into Arizona and Nevada during that period.

Also it was a relief from the boredom of boring holes in the sky all day at 35,000 ft for the GE test-pilots.  ;D

KJ_Lesnick

PR19_Kit,

QuoteBacktracking on this, it was probably because the Ford had a much lower wing loading, as do most deltas, and could thus turn tighter and for longer.

True, but isn't there a point where a wing-loading figure can become so low that it actually hurts you in turns at certain airspeeds?

QuoteSo why did they bother to test it against an F-100? The test was meaningless...........

Of course it was meaningless, but for GE it would make them look good, for the US Navy, it would make them look good.

joncarrfarrelly,

Quote... and that the particular Ford in question was stripped of all non-essential equipment when it was converted to an engine test-bed.

So it had a higher T/W ratio than a traditional F4D regardless of what engine was fitted to it. 

KJ Lesnick

KJ_Lesnick

As for a F4D WHIF design, I'm thinking about something like the McDonnell's Model 60.  That supposedly had a good low-speed handling, at least the same supersonic performance...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 27, 2010, 07:03:19 PM
PR19_Kit,
QuoteBacktracking on this, it was probably because the Ford had a much lower wing loading, as do most deltas, and could thus turn tighter and for longer.

True, but isn't there a point where a wing-loading figure can become so low that it actually hurts you in turns at certain airspeeds?

I don't think so, not in the turning mode anyway.

Where an ultra-low wing loading hurts is the low level, high speed penetration task, where the gust response becomes so violent that the crew and the airframe suffer. That's why the Buccaneer and A-6 Intruder both had high wing loading for low gust response and blown flaps so they could land at a sensible speed.

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

PR19_Kit,

QuoteI don't think so, not in the turning mode anyway.

Wait, then why do some modern aircraft have aeroelastic tailoring... I thought that was to reduce the effects of air speed bleed-off when maneuvering at high speeds (basically the wing would twist down disproportionately in response to g-loads at higher airspeeds which would reduce the overall lift, and thus the drag that goes with it)