Airbus WHIF Ideas

Started by P1127, May 07, 2004, 04:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

The cargo variant of the 747 has a moveable (hinged ?) nose similar to the An-124 or C-5, not the A380 (IMHK) which has a lateral cargo door.
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Hobbes

Still, the 747 cargo floor is several meters off the ground, unlike the An-124 which has a ramp on both ends. This is a huge advantage in tactical situations. Also, the An-124 has its entire cargo volume in one big space, unlike the 747 and A-380 which have a floor almost halfway up the fuselage (and the A-380 has a second floor as well).  

Mossie

No reason why you couldn't scribe a line on the nose of the A380 to suggest a cargo variant, maybe even a rear cargo ramp.  Retractable nose wheel to lower the nose for loading?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

Mossire, that's the difference between the 747 and A380 : the former has a cockpit on top of the fuselage (thus allowing its nose to hung) the latter has its cockpit a mid-level.
But why not a Conroy / Guppy A380 similar to what they did to the Britannia ?

First step, a moveable tail (to the side).

Second step, a ballooned fuselage
(similar to what Boeing did to its 747 "dreamlifter").

A 6*GE-90 A380 (or brand new aircraft!) would be nice, too. Such power (300 tons of thrust  :blink: ) would allowed huge cargo loads, to say the least!
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

B777LR

I think this A-380 AF1 proposal has more to do with the contest having to be "fair". Sorta the same as the KC-330 vs KC-767, C-130J vs A-400M vs C-17, etc.

QuoteThe USAF should be buying An-124 instead.

Launch customer for the An-124-300 perhaps :wub:

QuoteFirst step, a moveable tail (to the side).

Not so practical, since the dreamlifter needs ground equipment to support the tail when it moves :(

Quoteon another note, If the Americans wouldn't buy a French airliner, i guess they wouldn't buy an Anglo/Italian Merlin Helicopter either for Marine 1

On hte otherhand, britain will buy a ton of F-35s ;) (france, germany and spain wont :ph34r: )

Spey_Phantom

BUMP:

i just found a Revell Airbus A340-300 in my stash storageboxes in the attic.
i was originally planning to convert it into an Airbus A330,
but since i bought a new A330, i have no need for it but want to build it as a whiff anyway.

i know the most obvious choices would de a tanker (being the same size as the A330) or AWACS, but i would like to build something else with it.

i was thinking of a proposed freighter version Airbus was offering as a conversion for secondhand A340's after the production shut down.
but im not sure what markings, however, ive been playing with the idea of a PLAAF Freighter  :rolleyes:

according to what i found, an A340-LCF (Low Cost Freighter) would be able to transport about 60 tons of freight.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/low-cost-a340-freighter-scheme-seeks-launch-customer-370156/
http://www.lcfconversions.com/a340.html

however, there is also the Super Beluga plan that never was built  :lol:
from what ive seen and heared, the A300 Beluga is a B*tch to control, perhaps thats why the project never seen the light of day.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

kitnut617

I'm in the process of building this:

It's an A310 with an A400M wing.

I've got another A310 which I'm converting into this, a BAe 844 FASS:

I'm going to use the cockpit area from the A400M for this project and then I'm going to build a stretched A400M using the left-over parts from the A400 I've use for these two project and add them to the second A400M I have.

These are 1/72 scale BTW -----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

The A340-300ST looks eminently modellable with the aid of an A340 and a couple of Beluga kits. The MEGA one would be very difficult to model though, but it would be seriously impressive!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DarrenP

always wondered if the RAF should have looked at the possibilities of the "Rivet Joint" ELINT fit going into the A330? or an A330 sentry replacement for the French/UK AWACS fleet.
But would have been nice to see the A310-MRTT in UK colours instead of the delays and PFI mess of the Airtanker deal.

pyro-manic

Cost. Of course it could be done (or better yet, Nimrod R.1's "Helix" systems!) but there's no money to pay for it. The Sentries were modernised fairly recently in line with US standards IIRC. Not sure about the French E-3s.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

marko dash

has anybody ever given the A380 the guppy treatment?  :wacko:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: marko dash on January 18, 2014, 03:45:52 AM
has anybody ever given the A380 the guppy treatment?  :wacko:

Not quite but I got close with my 'A390' some years back.

It's a stretched, de-snooted Beluga (or rather two of them) with A340 wings, 4 x A330 engines, a stretched 747 fin and a DC10 tailplane.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

the Belgian Air Force's new Airbus A321 was revealed today.
the grey color scheme looks similar to that of the RAF's Voyager and BAe146 fleet, but i realy hate the tail design.
a low-vis defence logo and a full-color Belgian flag? what were they thinking.
a angled Belgian tricolor fin-flash would have been great, but this?  :-\

would have looked good if it was a refueling-tanker though  :rolleyes:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Why does it have an IRISH civvie registration???

Regards
Kit

major

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 23, 2014, 03:04:54 PM
Why does it have an IRISH civvie registration???

Apparently, a former turkish, ONUR AIR, airliner. Must be a temp reg. No sign of that reg no. listed on the Irish aircraft register though.
Must have been in storage here, before being flown out to the midlands!
And to be operated by Portuguese airline HiFly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi_Fly_(airline)
The line between reality and WHIF is getting blurred, or is it me?
Cheers... Ray