Convair Kingfish the daddy of the F-117?

Started by McColm, October 25, 2010, 11:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi,
Back in the days of the "Oxcart" project, the forerunner to the SR-71 Blackbird. Convair had placed an idea for the B-58B Hustler this was cancelled in 1959, or Super Hustler to replace the U-2.
The Kingfish used the tried and tested design of the F-106 Delta Dart. Using a large delta, twin fins and the engines buried within the fuselage-very similar to the F-117.
Lockheed had its Skunk Works, whilst Convair had run up huge debts in the B-58 programme.
the A-12 was built and used by the CIA. Funding for the Kingfish continued as an alternative to the A-12 in case any problems. None occurred, funding ended.
The CIA proposed the blending of the F-111 and the Kingfish. General Dynamics moved the project to their facilities at Fort Worth.

McColm

Donor aircraft:
F-117- adding a delta wing-rearranging the tail section (to include two tail fins).
Tu-22M -removing the swing-wings and adding the Avro  Vulcan delta

McColm

Bagera3005
Has already submitted his/her designs on what the Super Hustler/Kingfish looks like Oct 20 2008 07:04 52pm.

anthonyp

I seriously want a kit of this in either 1/72 or 1/144.  A future spaceplane is in the works!!!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man