Main Menu

Alphan Stingray

Started by sotoolslinger, October 26, 2010, 09:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Oh  yeah I got holes drilled for little antenna deallies that I won't add till after paint :thumbsup: :rolleyes:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Old Wombat

Yup, this is one cool build, all right!

The extra detailing may not be exactly as per the illustration but I'm guessing the dimensions aren't either; that they are, rather, a composite of the several images I have noticed in the photo's.

Painting is painting; sculpting is sculpting. You're doing a good job of bringing them together.

:thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sotoolslinger

Thanks 'bat :wub: The frikken Hornet is givin me fits right now ...I hate artists :o ;) :blink:
I amuse me.

anthonyp

I like the shape, please, please, PLEASE don't go with the rainbow paint scheme.

If you do, I'll feel the need to build it as it "should be," ie, I'll spend more money on my stash than I logically should   ;D ;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Weaver

Well I say DO go with the original colour scheme!  :wacko:

The wild colours are one of the things that distinguish this genre of artwork from the endless parade of battleship grey and climical white that's dominated the movie sci-fi world.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Oh Anthony :blink: I'm sorry bubba but Weaver is right I frikken Hate :angry: white ,silver or grey craft. I also note almost none of these craft have windows/canopies. It actually mentions that space combat takes place so fast that you don't use mk 1 eyeballs to doo your shootin :rolleyes:
Also it specifically mentions that Alphans incorporate art into their engineering :lol:
Plus I already bought turquoise, mystic emerald ,and yellow zinc chromate :wacko:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Hey check out this pic

The original book jacket artwork ;D Not only is it reversed from what appears in Spacecraft 2000 TO 2100 but there is a side view of the Stingray that they cut off
I amuse me.

Doc Yo

There is a website out there ( somewhere. for some reason I never bookmarked it ) that gives the original
appearances of the various TTA ships. The only ones I remember offhand is for the shark, which was
first used used as the cover for a Perry Rhodan novel, and the 'Interstellar Queen' which was Brian Stableford's
Hooded Swan( And both by Angus McKie. ) I'll do some looking and see if I can find the site.

sotoolslinger

I would really like to see that site :thumbsup: Look back further in my thread to see where I got the pics from :wub:
I amuse me.

Weaver

The CAM117 Gunship (Angus McKie) is from Again, Dangerous Visions Book 2: a short story collection edited by Harlan Ellison (Pan, 1977)

The ACM 122 Behemoth (Colin Hay) is from The War Against the Rull by A.E.van Vogt (Panther)

Object #1 Barnard's Star (Tony Roberts) is from A Hole in Space by Larry Niven (Orbit)

Object #4 Proxima Centauri (Tony Roberts) is from Double Star by Robert A.Heinlein (Pan, 1974)

All info from Sci-Fi Art - A Graphic History by Steve Holland (Ilex 2009). As luck would have it, he picked the first three of those as examples of the 1970s "Foss School" and mentioned the fourth one in the text.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Doc Yo

'ere we go-came up first on a Goggle search:

http://www.khantazi.org/Rec/TTABooks/ImageRef.html

This is just the art sources page-there is a wealth of information, and the author does keep it updated.

Interestingly enough, I was surprised to see my name pop up in the third link in the search. Good lord! (choke)

sotoolslinger

And you deserve it Doc :wub: :thumbsup: Allright this sucker is about ready for paint. Final weapons config

I have a little tiny bit o putty around the nose gun that needs to dry , one more shot o primer then paint begins
I amuse me.

Eddie M.

Absolutely incredible! My mind bows to your limitless imagination!! ;D
Look behind you!

sotoolslinger

My imagination is only limited to the designs I can steal :blink: ;) ;D :-\ :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Paint begins  :thumbsup: 1 of 3 or 4 colors of blue Silver Blue Metallic

I amuse me.