Main Menu

Alphan Stingray

Started by sotoolslinger, October 26, 2010, 09:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

I have a skylight over my modeling area so I will have to wait for dark to get shadow shots

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

Now that's a lot better, if I do say so myself:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

Just wondering if a picture could be produced of the model placed on the original picture?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

John Howling Mouse

Ha, Weaver beat me to it...outstanding!  Ron, as mentioned in my e-mail, a single (distant) light source will likely make the model look more like a "real" spacecraft in the NASA sense but, as you know, that was not usually the graphics style of the original TTA, anyhow.  The original art was often exceedingly luminescent, on purpose.  Because of the purposely wild color scheme, I don't know if the more authentic lighting would make it look any more realistic.  If you notice Weaver's background interpretation, there would be so much ambient luminescence from nearby nebulae and such that a model shot with singular lighting might actually look out of place.  All a question of aesthetics, in the end.

Still, worth experimenting with, anyhow.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Here is my take on one of your first images, Ron.  I tried to balance making the background interesting while still retaining focus on your model as the primary subject.  The starfield and nebula is just my own, home-drawn but the planet is borrowed (and modified) from someone else's artwork, got that from the TTA RPG, in fact.
Just one possible perception of countless others out there.  Hope some of our bonafide graphics gurus will show us how the pro's do it!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

bobbo

^^^^^What he said.^^^^^

bobinleipsic

sotoolslinger

Those are freaking awesome dudes :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
I am very proud that you think highly enough of my build to create those :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.

Weaver

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on December 11, 2010, 10:47:55 AM
Ha, Weaver beat me to it...outstanding!  Ron, as mentioned in my e-mail, a single (distant) light source will likely make the model look more like a "real" spacecraft in the NASA sense but, as you know, that was not usually the graphics style of the original TTA, anyhow.  The original art was often exceedingly luminescent, on purpose.  Because of the purposely wild color scheme, I don't know if the more authentic lighting would make it look any more realistic.  If you notice Weaver's background interpretation, there would be so much ambient luminescence from nearby nebulae and such that a model shot with singular lighting might actually look out of place.  All a question of aesthetics, in the end.

Still, worth experimenting with, anyhow.

Cheers!  Yours is excellent!  :thumbsup:

In the interests of clarity, let me point out that "Weaver's background interpretation" is just a straight Hubble shot of the Orion Nebula, nicked off the web, with no more modification than flipping it left to right.

You're absolutely right about the ambient lighting in the books: alternatives to black starfields are part of the "Foss Schoo" style to which these artists belonged*. When I suggested "single source lighting", I didn't mean realistic, ultra-contrasty light like you get in real space photography, but just something that created some light and shadow so that you could make it look more like it "belonged" in the background.

* Of course, the little detail that most of these artists missed (or ignored) is that these beautiful nebula pics mostly have greatly enhanced false colour, and if you were really flying that close to them, you still wouldn't see anything like that with the naked eye. I still like their version better though....;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Weaver on December 11, 2010, 02:40:07 PM
When I suggested "single source lighting", I didn't mean realistic, ultra-contrasty light like you get in real space photography, but just something that created some light and shadow so that you could make it look more like it "belonged" in the background.

* Of course, the little detail that most of these artists missed (or ignored) is that these beautiful nebula pics mostly have greatly enhanced false colour, and if you were really flying that close to them, you still wouldn't see anything like that with the naked eye. I still like their version better though....;)

I might still try to play with some "Star Wars" style stark shading using Ron's single-source lighting just to see what his creation would look like in that very different milieu.  And yeah, don't ever make the mistake of pointing out to your kid that the "National Geographic" style astronomy pics are digitally enhanced (or airbrushed as they used to be in the old days).

Weaver

Just found another digital artist working on TTA-style designs:

http://www.digitalwaterfalls.co.uk/dwsteve6.html

Note that this guy is NOT linked to the folk doing the updated books or RPG as far as I can tell.

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Thanks y'all :wub: It's getting dark now so I should have some better shadowy pics up later.
Weaver I have that dudes site bookmarked and I would contact him but his last update was 2009 :blink:
By the way. It is my intention (READ DREAM) to design or build models as a profession.
How does one go about copywriting ones work?
I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

Here are a mess o single point lighting pics :wacko:

There are more here
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh50/sotoolslinger/Alphan/
Let me know if there are any specific angles or different lighting you would like to see ;D :wub:
I amuse me.

Weaver

Quote from: sotoolslinger on December 11, 2010, 03:28:23 PM
Thanks y'all :wub: It's getting dark now so I should have some better shadowy pics up later.
Weaver I have that dudes site bookmarked and I would contact him but his last update was 2009 :blink:
By the way. It is my intention (READ DREAM) to design or build models as a profession.
How does one go about copywriting ones work?

Honestly havn't a clue. I know that for music or prose in the UK, there's some process whereby you post it to yourself, thereby establishing the date it was made, but what the equivalent is for models I really don't know. I suppose that on the one hand, you could go down the artistic route, define it as "sculpture" and use whatever process they use, but on the other hand, if you were doing work for film/TV companies, then they'd own the copyright by contract anyway.

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Well if someday, someone wants to use my stuff commercially I would look into it. I just notice that the dude in your last link purports to sell prints of his work. It just occurred to me that I would be really miffed if one of my models got used in a photoshop and sold as a print :blink: Not that that would ever happen ..... ;D I'm just sayin.... :-\ :unsure: :wacko: :thumbsup: :party:
I amuse me.