Hannant's got hacked!

Started by Cliffy B, October 26, 2010, 12:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliffy B

Hey guys, found this on another forum and thought I'd pass it along.  Apparently someone hacked into Hannant's and stole a bunch of credit cards and have been running amok with them.  If you've made a purchase there recently then you might want to check your card/bank account.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=218894&pid=2080790&mode=threaded&start=#entry2080790

-Mike
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Gondor

I found that out earlier tonight.... They have their web site down at the moment for "Maintenance"

Both of the Credit Cards I had listed with them had their details taken, not a major problem as I don't spend much on them so illegal use was easy to track and get stopped.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

The notice I just received from them says they were amongst a bunch of companies victimized as they all use the same system.  Also said anyone in the last two weeks should really check their CC statements for a small test charge ($5.00) and then some larger ones after it.  It also says that 3 people have been found who used the website were affected in September.  It's all affecting the new website and not the old one apparently so if anyone hasn't used it since the change-over then there's not much to worry about
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Roger the Cabin Boy

I'll let the folks at my club know.  But in a most smug kind of way, being as I stopped doing any business with those people some 12 years ago.
The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...

Slerski

I've been hacked... :-\ Very nice amount (around 420€). Never had problems with online shop, but today seems to be "Murphy's law day" with me... :banghead:
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Radish

Been done twice in the last two months on a card and its replacement.
Amazingly, one transaction was for a Dominos Pizza in Ipswich.
B*st*rds!!

I'll be tempted to visit the culprits if found
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Army of One

OMG!!!!!! If that don't teach them then I don't know what will.....!!!!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Roger the Cabin Boy

But even downmarket Pizza Parlours have dress codes...   ;D

Radish

And now....I have a new "stunning" costume as well...... ;) ;)
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Martin H

Heres what Hannants have to say on the matter so far

QuoteDear Customer

We are very sorry to have to tell you that a number of customers who have used our website have had their card details stolen and used by criminals.

ALL CUSTOMERS THAT HAVE ENTERED CARD NUMBERS ON OUR NEW WEBSITE PLEASE CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS FOR SUSPICIOUS CHARGES OR ATTEMPTED CHARGES.
If you see any please contact your company that issued your card.

At the moment no one is sure how this has happened. There are several internet security firms investigating everything and we will keep you all updated as soon as we can.

There is no sign of any intrusion into the server where the card number and expiry date information that we keep is encrypted*. The CVV number is not stored.

After looking at the information we have received we think this mainly affects some customers who have sent us an order in the last 2 weeks though there are 3 from September.

We have been contacted by about 40 customers so far but are not sure how many others have had their cards compromised but have not told us yet. If you know your card has been compromised PLEASE tell us. Please send us as much information as you can as soon as you can. We need as much information as soon as possible.

Please look out for small 'insignificant' test charges of under $5.00 followed by larger charges of varying amounts. Charges have originated from different countries and in different currencies.

Until we have found out what has caused this problem and it has been fixed we have closed the website. None of the experts can find any problems with it but until the problem is resolved we prefer not to take any risks.

We have deleted ALL card numbers from the website database. We are aware that a few of you wanted access so you could delete your details but we have done this for everyone.

Paypal. We have been asked why we do not accept it. There are 2 reasons. Firstly when we started work on the new website 4 (four) years ago we could not get it to work with the fully stock controlled warehouse that we wanted to run. We did some trials but it took too long for payments arrive in our bank account which would seriously have delayed the despatch of orders. Things have now improved. Secondly it was too expensive. 3 times the cost of handling Visa and Mastercard. All our payments are now handled by Sage pay, a large British firm. Recently they have started working with Paypal and our website designers had been doing some work to incorporate it into the website. We are going to speed up the work on this and try to get it incorporated quicker.

We will re-open the website as soon as we can but will not be rushing into it.

Thank you for your help and understanding.

ALL CUSTOMERS THAT HAVE ENTERED CARD NUMBERS ON OUR NEW WEBSITE PLEASE CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS FOR SUSPICIOUS CHARGES OR ATTEMPTED CHARGES.
If you see any please contact your company that issued your card.

* This data is stored so that customers do not have to enter it each time they order and so that we can run a back order service.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Martin H

And heres the follow up e mail that arrived shortly after the first

QuoteDear Customer,

Investigations are still on-going but so far no problem area or trace of illegal entry can be found anywhere. How the card numbers were taken is still a mystery. Two firms are still looking at everything and we hope to have their reports in soon. For now we are still not prepared to fully re-open the website.

We have PARTIALLY re-opened the website. We have done this so you can check that we are telling the truth that the card details have been removed and so that you can use all the other parts of the site. We suggest that while you are logged in you also check any items that are on back order and/or in your cart and adjust as required.

Currently you cannot enter new card details at this time or send orders to us but most other facilities are still operating as usual.

We have temporarily stopped sending out back orders just in case sending the data that goes with ordering is where the problem is. We have been told that it is encrypted everywhere and is not a problem area so now we do not think it is but we need to be certain.

TELFORD SHOW ORDERS. To send us an order for collection at the show please add a Collect from show address with your name on as usual, add what you want to buy to your cart as before BUT then email us to say it is there in your cart. We will then download it and have it ready for collection and payment at the show. You do not pay until you collect so we do not need any payment now.

MAILORDERS. WE CAN NOW ACCEPT ORDERS THIS WAY... Please put your order in the cart as normal then TELEPHONE or FAX us with your card details. We will then download your order and attach the card details to the order. We will then be able to process your order. Our email is not secure so we cannot recommend you send your card details that way.

Please be aware that the cart only 'remembers' items if they are actually saved in the cart. Items in the Quick Order only do not get saved.

We will email more information as soon as we can.  Quite a few customers have told us that they are on the emailing (Hot News) list but have not received an email from us. We think this is because they are being stopped as spam. Mostly the customers are with Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL and of course BT. If you can pass our emails to any of your modelling friends please do.

Everyone at Hannants would like to say a massive 'thank you' for the emails, and phone calls of support, help and encouragement you have sent us. With the exception of about 8 people your support has been fantastic.

Congratulations should also go to the worlds banking system who seem to have spotted and stopped the majority of the charges before they got to the customer.

Best regards

Hannants.
Unfortunately,

Roger the Cabin Boy

This just got discussed at our club meeting.  Suggest all should contact any likely Hannants customer modelling mates who may not yet be aware. 

Martin H

yep, spread the word boys and girls.
Unfortunately,

PR19_Kit

Odd, I got the first email but not the second......  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I got an email from them telling me what was going on, but I'd previously seen that the site was closed for maintainence.  There's a messag up at the moment that the site is open again if you want to browse, but that they're not accepting sales as they haven't found how the hackers got in yet.

Quote from: Radish on October 27, 2010, 02:35:43 PM
And now....I have a new "stunning" costume as well...... ;) ;)

Policeman's (or womans!) uniform???  The difference between a Magicians wand & a Policeman's truncheon being a Magician's wand is used for cunning stunts....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.