Hannant's got hacked!

Started by Cliffy B, October 26, 2010, 12:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The little ratbags just had a go at me as well!  :banghead:

My bank phoned me here at home and asked if I'd authorise a payment of over £500 for clothes in a DUBLIN shop! How could I be there and here at the same time? Needless to say I told them no way, and I hope the little gits get arrested by the Guarda!

So now I have the rigmarole of changing over card payments on my new card, that will ariive in '...5 to 7 working days', which means 2 weeks of course! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 03, 2010, 03:42:01 AM
So now I have the rigmarole of changing over card payments on my new card, that will ariive in '...5 to 7 working days', which means 2 weeks of course! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........!

My new Egg card arrived the next day, but when I tried to activate it the website wouldn't have it, and when I rang up they said "Yes - about 5 working days"..... :rolleyes:

A rare case of the Royal Mail beating the internet.... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Martin H

Hmm Ive been lucky so far. But just in case Ive canceled my old debit card anyway. There just no point taking the risk.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

thedarkmaster

Well just had mine attacked, aparantly I'm paying off a Mortgauge in the USA....must be a small one as it was only £2.32
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

lenny100

well i just found that i payed Vodafone pre pay top ups £80 
the bank is sending me a new card and will refund the money in 3 days , but for me thats a lot of money
seriously keep a eye on your accounts
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Nick

Right now I feel very glad I haven't bought from Hannants by card for a very long time. But I have checked my cards to be sure.

kevincallahan

I too get to join the (apparently not very exclusive) credit card details hijack. My bank caught it, thankfully, and denied the transaction, then put a security hold on the card. Unfortunately I found out about it all when my card was declined at a restaurant! A bit embarrassing, that. It took my new card a week to arrive, and now I get to try to remember all the places that use a debit for recurring auto payments. Life in the electronic age, I guess...

Kevin C
Visit the 72 Land blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/

PR19_Kit

It occured to me last night that I'd not registered my card with the new Hannants site. Indeed I hadn't bought anything via their site since it was 'upgraded'.......

So how did my card details get on there? Because when I was there in person a few weeks ago the sales assistant used THEIR web site on her PC to price my stuff and sort out the payment from my card!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Geoff

So does that mean anyone who has delt with Hannants is at risk?

lenny100

yes i only had one purchase since the new site opened way back in January, and i was got at
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

kitnut617

The new site went on line around March 23rd
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Glenn Gilbertson

Hadn't ordered anything from Hannants since Telford 2009, so didn't worry. Capital One unexpectedly sent me a new card two weeks ago quoting "a security issue" that they could not discuss. Registered new card, cut up old one. Had a phone call today from them to see if I had used the old card today to buy nearly £500 worth of computer equipment - NO! Now have had to set up new account & must wait a week for yet another card - but at least they seem to have been on top of the problem, and there should be time to sort it out before payment becomes due. May the sensitive parts of the culprits be assaulted by the fleas of a thousand camels.

thedarkmaster

As i understand it the problem is not with Hannants but with the company that handles their "secure" payments, this company has been hacked and that is how details are out, other companys have had their details taken I am surprised it's not made the news as i am led to believe its quite a BIG  story.
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Martin H

Quote from: Geoff on November 04, 2010, 12:26:08 PM

as lenny has already said.  YES.  As far as I know I've been lucky and not been hit, but canceled my old card just to be on the safe side.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Geoff

Quote from: Martin H on November 06, 2010, 04:31:42 AM
Quote from: Geoff on November 04, 2010, 12:26:08 PM

as lenny has already said.  YES.  As far as I know I've been lucky and not been hit, but canceled my old card just to be on the safe side.

Yep - just blocked mine on spec. Not been hit fortunatly.