Store identification

Started by pyro-manic, October 26, 2010, 06:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

OK, I have looked and looked, but I cannot identify the centreline store on this Italeri 1:72 F-15E I picked up recently. I thought maybe the datalink pod for the GBU-15s, but it's got all those weird intakes/vents on the front, which the DLP doesn't have. I thought maybe a recce pack or some sort of gun pod, but AFAIK the Mudhen hasn't ever carried either of those. See pic below for the offending item.

Any help would be much appreciated. :banghead:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

It's a gun pod, the kit of the F-15 I have (which I think is a Monogram kit) has one too which you can just make out in the photo below.  Also I think you'll find a couple of them in one of the Hasegawa Weapons Sets.  IIRC the gun pod holds the 30mm Vulcan cannon
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Green Dragon

It's a Gun Pod Pyro, think it's a GPU 5/A 30mm cannon based on the GAU-8 from the A-10 but with four barrels. Pretty sure it doesn't get used because of vibration problems. I could be wrong though!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Weaver

It looks like the GPU-5/A gunpod. It holds a GPU-13, which is a four-barrelled version of the A-10's GAU-8A 30mm cannon, and has been trialled on the A-4, A-7, F-4, F-5E, F-16, F-20 and F-15E. The USAF bought some as part of their scheme to have CAS-tasked F-16s to take over from A-10s, however, when used in the 1991 Gulf War it was taken out of service after one day because of vibration and poor accuracy due to mounting distortion. Thai F-5Es still use it, but it's nowout of USAF service.

Loads of info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-13_cannon Interesting bit at the end about the USMC proposing to use four or them on an LCAC for suppressive fire! :blink:

GD's data sheet: http://www.gdatp.com/files/PDF/A015_GPU-5A.pdf

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

Ahh, thanks gents. :cheers: Now to find something fun to hang it from!

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on October 26, 2010, 07:01:22 PM

My model if of this F-15E, which is actually a F-15B converted to an E and used as the prototype for the E program
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

I have 2 of those pods hanging from the wings of my Maritime Patrol MRB-57 Canberra that I did a while back, there are a couple in one of the Hasegawa weapons kits too, as I have a few left over. What ever aircraft you put it on Alun, make sure you make some scale gaffer tape to put on the parts of the plane that has been vibrated apart by the gun :wacko:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

pyro-manic

Heheh, maybe some bits of welded-on scaffold pole as extra bracing. ;D We shall see. Thanks again gents.