Fairey Swordfish

Started by Daryl J., October 29, 2010, 02:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

The TSR II/Swordfish was preceded by the Fairey S.9/30 which was Kestrel IIM powered.
S.9/30 was originally flown as a landplane with a split landing gear. 

BTW a Merlin doesn't have to have a belly or chin mounted radiator.  ;)

In terms of modelling, a Battle nose would give it more of a Fairey look.

Captain Canada

Found this great pic of the Canadian greenhouse mod

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

NARSES2

Now that is interesting, well done Capt'  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Nice pic Todd  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  and a Happy New Year to you.

Some years ago when I visited the Calgary Aerospace Museum one day, there was an aircraft loaded on a 'low-boy' semi trailer parked in amongst the displayed aircraft. All it was, was the tubular frame with some sheet metal around the front end where the engine would hang. It had a canopy too ---- When I first saw it I immediately thought 'they have a Swordfish' but then thought 'no, it can't be, it's got a canopy'.

Asking one of the curator' what it was he confirmed it was a Canadian built Swordfish.  Apparently, the canopies were fitted because of the extreme winter conditions  -------   
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Removed the black borders, made it a bit larger, and played with levels a bit.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 01, 2018, 07:51:21 AM

Asking one of the curator' what it was he confirmed it was a Canadian built Swordfish.  Apparently, the canopies were fitted because of the extreme winter conditions  -------

I'd read that before but this is the first photo I've seen of this particular style of canopy
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dogsbody

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 02, 2018, 01:34:33 AM

I'd read that before but this is the first photo I've seen of this particular style of canopy

Fairey Swordfish were not built in Canada. They were used here and were modified with the canopy, but they were not manufactured here.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

kitnut617

Quote from: dogsbody on January 02, 2018, 11:39:24 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 02, 2018, 01:34:33 AM

Fairey Swordfish were not built in Canada. They were used here and were modified with the canopy, but they were not manufactured here.

Chris

Maybe that was what the curator meant then and I took it the wrong way.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

tigercat

How about a Swordfish Triplane for when you have a really short deck to get on and off of

Old Wombat

Quote from: tigercat on January 10, 2018, 12:12:59 AM
How about a Swordfish Triplane for when you have a really short deck to get on and off of

What? Across a piece of 2x4? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

tigercat

for the Flower class aircraft carrier conversions.  ;D

Rheged

Quote from: tigercat on January 10, 2018, 04:40:37 AM
for the Flower class aircraft carrier conversions.  ;D

Rheged and son collapse on the floor chuckling at the concept!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

tigercat

It's ok it's just the cover story for the cross channel paddle steamer conversions :angel:

Rheged

Quote from: tigercat on January 10, 2018, 10:54:35 AM
It's ok it's just the cover story for the cross channel paddle steamer conversions :angel:

Like these two? We've been here before!

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=42429.0

The carriers, the USS Sable (IX-81) and USS Wolverine (IX-64), were converted Great Lakes paddle steamers. They had shorter flights decks, no hangar bays, and required enough lake wind for operations.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet