Armed maritime patrol Beriev Be-200

Started by chrisonord, October 31, 2010, 06:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Tonight, after getting annoyed with my Leoman SU-11 and putting it back in its box, I decided to get my BE-200 down and start some work on it.
I want to make it as an armed maritime patrol aircraft, with cannon, rocket pods and some anti ship missiles. The one thing that is making my scratch the swede is what missiles could I use for this purpose, and what are available for this model wise. I have a fair few types of russian air to Surface missiles in the stash, but the net didn't really come up with any suitable candidates other than the  Amodel KH-35, which I don't have and don't want to fork out the cash on. Any ideas would be very helpful, as I am sure there is something out there I can use.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Green Dragon

Not sure what the missiles designations are but the Zvezda Su30 KN has some anti ship ones in it.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Maverick

G'day Chris,

Depending on the time frame of the weapons, there are quite a number of Russian AShMs out there either in individual kits or as part of an aircraft's armament.

For the comparative newness of the Beriev, I'd recommend the Kh-31 'Krypton' which can be found in the Revell or Italeri Su-34 'Fullback', IIRC.  It is, however, 1m (scale) or so larger than the Kh-35 (4.7 to 3.8).  

Another option could be the use of a Western weapon like the Skua, Penguin or Harpoon.  Give the Beriev markings other than Russian or thereabouts and you could justify the inclusion of Western weapons, which also tend to be a bit more available modelwise.

HTH,

Mav

GTX

What country are you thinking of doing it for?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

chrisonord

Quote from: GTX on November 01, 2010, 12:41:02 AM
What country are you thinking of doing it for?

Regards,

Greg
Hya Greg, I am going to do the plane as a Russian navy patrol aircraft, as I think it would be a rather expensive acquisition for my Cartel forces.
Cheers
Chris.

anthonyp

AS-20/SS-N-25/Kh-35 Kayak (aka, Harpoonski) missiles would be good fixtures for ASM's.

This is the 1/144 version, right?  You'd probably have to scratch any missiles you put on it.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

rickshaw

Quote from: anthonyp on November 01, 2010, 06:47:00 PM
AS-20/SS-N-25/Kh-35 Kayak (aka, Harpoonski) missiles would be good fixtures for ASM's.

This is the 1/144 version, right?  You'd probably have to scratch any missiles you put on it.

Not necessarily.  Ozmods does a nice range of 1/144 missiles (both West and Soviet/Russian).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

chrisonord

This is the Amodel 1/72nd scale kit I am building. Thing is I wasn't going to start it yet as I don't have any room for it to live once finished :unsure:
Cheers,
Chris.

anthonyp

Oh, frak, you have all SORTS of stuff to play with in 1/72.  Have fun!

chrisonord

Well, so far I have narrowed it down to a pair of KH-59's which I have a pair of in the new ICM kit, or a pair of KH-31's. I have a few pairs of these,from different manufactures, problem is the ones I have spare from an Italeri SU-34, are considerably bigger than the other ones I have. Is this an inaccuracy issue or is there 2 different versions of the same missile. Hmm? weird one that!! ;D
Chris.

pyro-manic

Didn't I send you a load of Russian AGMs from a Su-24 a while back? I'm sure there'd be something suitable on there. Or have you used 'em all? :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

ChernayaAkula

You cut-up and whif a 200 bucks kit?  :o More power to you! :bow:  :cheers:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

chrisonord

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 03, 2010, 06:11:59 PM
You cut-up and whif a 200 bucks kit?  :o More power to you! :bow:  :cheers:
Hya Moritz
Crikey no, or words to that effect :lol:
I am not going to carve any of it up, just add a few bits and pieces to it here and there :wacko:
Alun, I don't think there were any anti ship missiles in that lot you sent to me, but there were some rocket pods and gun pods that will get used on the Be-200. I also have 2 more Be-6's in the stash that will get made all offensive in the maritime department  ;D......and turbo propped (of course ;))
Chris.

Maverick

Chris,

Wiki states that the baseline Kh-31A is 4.7m long, whilst the 'Mod 2' Kh-31AD is 5.23m.  Altho the A is the AShM and the P is the ARM, there's no mention of dimensional differences between the two versions beyond the ER type 'Mod 2'.  I'd hazard a guess that the differences in the various plastic representations could be errors on the part of the manufacturers.  That being said, if the Italeri kit is based on the Zvezda kit (these companies sharing a lot of their moulds), I'd be surprised if the Italeri isn't the most accurate with Zvezda's Russian background.

Regarding the Kh-59, be aware that only the MK is specified as an Anti-Shipping variant.

HTH,

Mav

anthonyp

I'd still look at the Kayak.  The Harpoonski is a nice weapon.