''A'' is for Arado (Bf110 N pics added 11/12)

Started by matrixone, November 10, 2010, 06:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

This is my latest what-if, the Arado Ar 240C-2 nightfighter built O.O.B. from the 1/72 scale Revell kit I bought twelve years ago. Markings came from my spares box, the kits decals were starting to look really old so I only used some of the stencil markings from the Revell sheet because I had no choice.
This was a very good fitting kit that was a breeze to put together and most of my time spent on this model was done during the painting/weathering phase.

On to the pics...

Matrixone

beowulf

impressive squiggle work  :thumbsup: :wub: :wub: nice one
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

NARSES2

I've that kit in the stash, if it comes out as 1/4 as well as that I'll be happy  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Time well spent too, 'cos that camo is lovely! :wub: :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dumaniac

Blo....y beautiful camo - veeerrrrrrrryy nice

matrixone

Thanks guys! :cheers:

NARSES2,
You will really like this kit, for a 1/72 scale kit it has good detail and fits together almost as well as a Tamiya kit except for the radar antenna. My kit was very old and the decals were not very safe looking to use so I again raided my spares box, if your kit is one of the newer ones the decals should be good to go.

The camouflage started out as RLM 76 with RLM 75 large mottles, after the decals were on I sprayed the green squiggle camo. A number of German nightfighters late in the war had their 76/75 painted planes oversprayed in the field with green or gray paint for a better camouflage effect, I wanted to add this effect on this model but it was a little tense, one mistake with the airbrush could have meant a total repaint! Failure was not an option. ;)

Matrixone

GTX

Nice....now about that Bf110 in the third shot.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

matrixone

Thanks Greg,
The two other aircraft in some of the shots are a 1/72 scale Revell Bf 110G-4 and a conversion of another Revell Bf 110G into a light night attack bomber (this aircraft was to replace the older Ju 87 for nightime raids on Allied frontline airfields). ;D
I wanted the other models in the background to give the illusion it was an active airfield for nightfighters.

Another pic of the Arado...

I have one more Ar 240 kit in the stash and plan to make that one a Zerstorer, but that won't be built anytime soon because of so many other projects in the works.

Matrixone

GTX

Quote from: matrixone on November 11, 2010, 12:18:32 PM

a conversion of another Revell Bf 110G into a light night attack bomber (this aircraft was to replace the older Ju 87 for nightime raids on Allied frontline airfields).

Can we also have some more photos of this please - don't believe I have seen before.

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Glenn Gilbertson

matrixone

Thanks guys!
Watch this thread, I will post some pics of the night attack bomber here a little later.

Matrixone

lancer

Oh beauty!! I've got that kit in my stash as well. One of my favourite nightfighter job. Hope I can do as good a job as you Matrix! Lovely job as usual
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

matrixone

Thanks lancer!

Here are some pics of the Br 110 N/a4 night attack bomber.
After the entire Bf 110G and Me 410 production was halted due to the great success of the Ar 240 in combat what was left of the 110 and 410 airframes on the assembly lines of the Messerschmitt factories were converted to the Bf 110N/a4 light attack bomber, an aircraft that was urgently needed to replace the Ju 87's that were being used for night attack missions late in the war.
The Bf 110 N/a4 was used to attack forward Allied airfields at night, it was the intention to disrupt Allied fighterbomber operations to prevent high losses of war equipment during the day on the German front lines from constant attack from the sky. The Bf 110 N/a4 would fly low level for much of its mission to avoid attacks from Allied nightfighters and detection from ground based radar. The pilots of the Bf 110 N/a4 were the best bomber pilots Germany had left, the night attack missions required very high skill levels.

Matrixone