''B'' is for Blohm und Voss (new pic added 11/12)

Started by matrixone, November 10, 2010, 07:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Here is my other 1/72 scale what-if that I had been working on the last two weeks, the Special Hobby Blohm und Voss BV 212. This is one of Special Hobby's early kits and was not a very easy model to build but it turned out okay with a little extra work, the parts on the sprues had to sawn off instead clipped off like most other kits and then a lot of carving/sanding needed to get the parts to fit. But these early S.H. kits are still fun to make and I enjoyed building this one even though I needed to do a lot of PSR work on it.
The camouflage scheme took a little time to decide on what I wanted with this aircraft but since it was a Blohm und Voss design I figured they would have used a splinter pattern like many of their other designs had. Colors are 76/81/82 I mixed from Model Master enamels.

On to the pics...

Matrixone

Cobra

Well Done,matrixone :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This has a feel like Someone set the plane up for Luftwaffe Brass to see it! Hope to see More Great Work like this :cheers: Dan

Gondor

I can see this series of posts getting interesting as Matrixone precedes through the alphabet letter by letter.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

A magnificent model of a bonkers aeroplane, superbly done!  :thumbsup:

And 'C' is for.......?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Always liked the looks of that one. Great model and photography there! :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dumaniac

Sturmbock

matrixone

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments!

The ''C'' will not make anybody happy, its going to be a 1/48 scale Focke-Wulf Ta 152''C'' from the Dragon kit. :-\
For anybody thinking about building the Dragon Ta 152C be warned: some of the illustrations on the instructions do not match the parts, also you must cut off the nose of the supplied Ta 152H fuselage halves and glue the DB engined power egg onto the fuselage. Cutting off the old Jumo engined power egg was easy to do but the Dragon instructions do not make it clear exactly where to cut...it would be easy to get this wrong. Another complaint is the new mold Ta 152C wings, the leading edge is rather blunt looking and the ailerons don't look right either. Dragon took many short cuts with this kit, they just threw in new mold Ta 152C wings and a DB power egg with their older Ta 152H kit. :banghead:
But its better than no Ta 152C kit at all.

The pics of this BV 212 were not what as good as I wanted but this time of year at my home the sunlight filters through all the trees giving me only a few minutes of good light per day, as you can see in the pics there were shadows from the tree leaves making some dark areas in the photobase and backdrop.

Matrixone

Gondor

Sorry to hear about the problems with the 1/48 version of the Ta 152C kit. Fortunately for me I build in 1/72 and Dragon made the fuselages without the engines on them and simply had a different tree for the new engine cowling. Both versions use the same main spar so I am not sure how that will work with the different wings but I suppose in time I will find out.

Great modelling and photography Matrixone as always.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pablo1965

sotoolslinger

That is one nifty looking little plane right there :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

matrixone

Thank you Gondor, Pablo1965, and sotoolslinger!

Gondor,
This 1/48 scale Ta 152C is not that bad to put together compared to their 1/72 version of that airplane, the Dragon 1/72 scale Ta 152C was the worst fitting kit I have ever built! NOTHING went smoothly on that build...it looked great in the box but building it was another matter. Below is a pic of that finished Ta 152C.

The only reason I finished the model was I simply wanted a Ta 152C in my collection no matter how bad the kit was.
My complaint against the 1/48 scale version is if Dragon went through the trouble to make a new mold wing for a Ta 152C version why could they have not made the wing correct in shape in the first place...its not like they did not know how the wing actually looked, they could have just as easily made the wing correct if they wanted to. The instruction sheet also could have been improved to better show the exact places to make the cut for removing the Jumo power egg and the placement of some of the other parts. There are other problem areas with this 1/48 scale Ta 152C that can be fixed but the wing is so bad it would need to be replaced and that would not be easy to do.

Matrixone

lancer

Damm fine looking 212 Matrix, looks way smarter than mine! Lovely job
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

dumaniac

like the Ta 152 C - very nice work