The BAe Nimrod Tanker/Cargo version

Started by McColm, November 11, 2010, 11:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Forget the Nimrod, I've always liked the idea of the Comet as a Tanker (ala 707) - would love a Comet 4 model to do it as a diorama with aircraft on boom/hose.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Hobbes

GTX

GTX

Cool - 1:144 I could possibly manage.  Not preferred, but hey, who does 1:48 airliner models?

Regards,

Greg

Aircav

Wonder how she'd look as a water bomber.  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

McColm

would she look good, back in airline colours?
add a few more windows, remove the ESM housing, MAD boom, replace the searchlight with another tank. Not quite a Comet, but close!

PR19_Kit

Even Airfix do a Comet 4 in 1/144!  :o

Ok, it's a 4B without the pinion tanks, but they are available as resin add-ons (I have perhaps five sets.......) so you can make a 4, a 4B or a 4C. And no, BOAC DIDN'T operate 4Cs, despite the beliefs of some people......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Have they re-issued this kit? what about their VC-10? I know that they've released a few civilian airliners in 1/144.

Hobbes

I don't think either of them have been reissued.

I found just one Airfix Comet on ebay, asking price the same as the Welsh Models one.

PR19_Kit

The VC-10 was last available as a K2 tanker some years ago, and as they re-worked the moulds to do it there's almost no chance the civvie one will re-appear sadly. It's quite a job to convert it back, I've done it twice and it was no fun.

As for Airfix Comets, the last issue was in their Classic series, in a socking great box MUCH larger than the model! They did the Trident, Caravelle, BAC 1-11 and Vanguard in the same series. I have one or two them in The Loft, but not sure if I want to get rid of them just now.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

What did they change to make the K.2 version? The hose pods are obvious, and the one under the fuselage is a bit of work to remove. Is there more? (asking because I'm working on a civilian VC-10, and those were the only items I changed)

McColm

Me thinks that they stretched the fuselage.

kitnut617

K.3's and K.4's had the fuselage extention, they're basically Super VC-10's converted to tankers.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

I was referring to changes Airfix made to the kit. According to this post, Airfix added the refueling bits and changed the window layout. They didn't change the fuselage length.