The BAe Nimrod Tanker/Cargo version

Started by McColm, November 11, 2010, 11:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

I might be wrong here, but I think I've read that the standard VC-10 Airfix made was actually of the prototype
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on November 30, 2010, 05:10:24 AM
What did they change to make the K.2 version? The hose pods are obvious, and the one under the fuselage is a bit of work to remove. Is there more? (asking because I'm working on a civilian VC-10, and those were the only items I changed)

Those are the only changes to you need to make the Airfix K2 into an Airfix civvie VC10, but........

As Robert says, the Airfix kit is of the prototype, so the fuselage length is correct but there are various subtle differences in the wing shape, not the least of which being the position of the wing fences. In production the fences were moved much closer to the root than the position in the kit. Take a look at the myriad piccies available on airliners.net, but in the meanwhile see the one below that I selected.

You can see the inboard fence and the fact that the front 2 ft of it are bent outward! Also note the shape of the engine pylons, they are LOADS more complex than the basic shape that Airfix, or indeed anyone else, provide. The one in the piccie is a C1K, but you can't see any 'K' bits in the piccie. The 'towel rails' on the roof were unique to the C1Ks, and have now been removed.

K3s and K4s all started off as Super VC10s and have different fuel tankage arrangements, K3s having the entire cabin filled with tanks, whereas the K4s only have the standard fuselage and wing tanks, and could carry freight or pax in the cabin, but rarely did.

[This thread is now an officially drifted thread, as it's NOTHING to do with Nimrods any more........  ;D]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Magna Models do a 1/72 VC-10 C1K, check at Hannants website.
Getting back to the Nimrod, I've checked many sites and can't find any data on any testing to see if the Nimrod was suitable in the tanker role.
India has bought the P-8, I'd have thought someone would have bought the nine prototypes of the MR4.

McColm

Just thought of a new thread: The Nimmet
You've heard of The Comrod.
Commets used during the testing phase and Nimrod prototypes.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on December 05, 2010, 08:58:28 AM
India has bought the P-8, I'd have thought someone would have bought the nine prototypes of the MR4.

They never got the chance, MoD scrapped them so fast they nearly flew themselves into the bin!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Yes,
I saw the end clip where they were dismantling them on the Jeremy Mar programme.

McColm

Finally got my hands on the 1/72 Formaplane HS Nimrod MR1/MR2P with Historic Wings conversion kit.
Big box for a big kit, will get a few parts from the Airfix kit, Nothing to radical!

Captain Canada

Pics ! Pics ! lol Somat I defo wont to look into in the near futre, as well as the Cammet set.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Might surprise you,
Got an idea to use the Cammet with a P-3C/CP-140 Aurora.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Got the flying boom in the 1/72 EC-135E/N kit and the KC-97. I'll see which one is the better fit, as I'll use the other on the Lockheed Super Constellation.
I will fit two hose and drogue pods under the wings.

McColm

Bought the Airfix 1/72 Vickers Valiant additional parts and decals kit A65000.
The Airfix B-29 will get the cameras fitted in the weapons bays, may have to rename it an ERB-29 Wyton.
Thought of using the hose and drogue on the HS Nimrod Mad Hatter-3 point tanker.

DarrenP2

what could the AEW 3 airframes have been converted into?

McColm

BAe Woodford proposed converting the type to anti-ship missile role. The Marconi AEW was to be removed and a Searchwater antenna fitted in the nose radome, with the armament comprising of six BAe Dynamics Sea Eagles in the weapons bay. The type could also have doubled as a deterrent carrier had the P4T cruise missile been developed.
However the Nimrod MR.2s were equipped with the AGM 84 Harpoon.