TTA Avery Hornet

Started by sotoolslinger, November 12, 2010, 06:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

It depends which one of the images you compare it to Ron: it's definately too thin for the main, right hand image, but seems about right for the left hand one. Artists are not engineers! :rolleyes:

Here's a discussion about this very subject which features two profile views and a model, none of which match each other:

http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/7/1722.html#000000
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Yeah I agree Gondor I was gonna add that later.
Weaver I have noticed that a lot of the illustrations from this book that supposedly show 2 or more of the same craft often don't really look like the exact same models of the same ship . :blink: :unsure:
That's kinda what you get when you try to turn someone elses original artwork into a 3D model.
Off to grind more wood :wacko:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

frank2056

Ron,
It does look closer to the heads on view, but it looks too thin at the bottom compared to the other views.
Not to deny you your most excellent putty-fu, but you can reduce the amount of putty by making the side intakes (when you carve them) thicker and extended forward a bit, then blend in the extra wood with the existing fuselage. Same with the streamlined gunpod below.
Or just leave it as is - it's a variant from the Texas STS shipyards...

Frank

sotoolslinger

Good idea Frank  :thumbsup: I definitely have to fatten her up. I have done all the roundification I can on the existing stock and she is too skinny. I need to build the lower gun "wings" first so I can get all the countours to blend correctly.

I amuse me.

bobbo

I stand in awe . . . I would never have the cojones to try something like this from scratch!   :bow: :bow:

bobbo

Weaver

Quote from: sotoolslinger on November 13, 2010, 10:57:11 AM
Yeah I agree Gondor I was gonna add that later.
Weaver I have noticed that a lot of the illustrations from this book that supposedly show 2 or more of the same craft often don't really look like the exact same models of the same ship . :blink: :unsure:
That's kinda what you get when you try to turn someone elses original artwork into a 3D model.
Off to grind more wood :wacko:

Indeed  - the Fatboy is a classic example. On the new-edition equivalent artwork, they've kept the style of the original picture but changed the foreground ship to be more like the background ones, thus making it match the line drawing in the original book.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Bobbo,it is nothing awesome I do .I just happen to be able to breakdown complex designs into component shapes. I just look at small individual details and break them down into little bits then figure out what parts I need to put together to make that shape.
Here is an example look at how I built up the wing guns.

It basically comes down to make the flat parts out of sheet plastic , make the tubular parts out of plastic tube and do the complex curves out of putty. :blink: Oh yeah and build models for about 35 years first ;D :o :lol: :rolleyes:
Weaver I have not seen the new Fatboy artwork ,got a linky ;) :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

Weaver

That laserlance wing looks excellent Ron!  :thumbsup:

Fatboy link:

http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/fatboy.html

This is the site associated with the attempted TTA RPG. They couldn't get the rights for the original artwork, so they had digital near-copies of them produced. General opinion seems to be that the digital versions are inferior to the originals.

The digital versions of the Hornet: different again!

http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/tta/hornet.html

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Thanks Weav I like the Fatboy absolutely HATE the Hornet :angry: :banghead:
I hope I can do a more faithful rendering.
She was too skinny like Paris Hilton  ;) ;D so I did this
Contour

Then to save putty fill in with all my scrap plastic

Then putty

Now she is voluptuous like Kim Kardashian ;) ;D :wub:
Of course I still need to sand :thumbsup:
I amuse me.

Weaver

Yeah that's better: it's more of a rounded cross-section. :thumbsup:

I just realied what else the Hornet reminds me of: front end of a HP Victor bomber.

- Indiana Jones

Arc3371

Old Wombat

We-ell, to me the slimmer version looked more true to the pictures... but I'm old & wear spec's.

Plus, I don't have the testes to try scratch-scratch building (yet) so what does my opinion mean?... Nada!

Looks good, anyway. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

Love this Chris Foss type stuff.

Great to see some "from the wood" building as well

Weaver

Quote from: buzzbomb on November 14, 2010, 08:40:57 PM
Love this Chris Foss type stuff.

Great to see some "from the wood" building as well

It's perfectly correct to call this Chris Foss type stuff because he was the most prominent of that generation of artists, but in fact, he had no specific involvement with the TTA books at all. Mind you, that doesn't stop any number of armchair experts from swearing blind they're full of his stuff: I've had that argument several times over the years..... :rolleyes:

- Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Thanks all y'all  :wub: Old Wombat good to see you over here :thumbsup: Remember she ain't sanded down yet. I try to leave myself plenty of stoc k to sand into shape
I amuse me.