Fokker D.XXIIIM, Netherlands East Indies, 1942

Started by kitbasher, November 12, 2010, 02:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: kitbasher on November 16, 2010, 06:13:15 AM
Quote from: Weaver on November 16, 2010, 04:09:42 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but why wouldn't it use the orange triangle markings?

On the prototype, the two 7.9mm guns were in the lower engine cowling with ammo in the inner wing leading edges. If those guns were eliminated in an up-engined version, then it could be fitted with wing leading-edge radiators for the front engine inboard of the booms.

The cannon remained in the booms - don't know how they were fed, so perhaps wing radiators could be a possibility (like the Whirlwind and Mosquito) were the nose MGs moved to the wing.

As far as the markings are concerned, the NEIAF existed throughout WW2.  Originally its aircraft wore the inverted orange triangle as worn by Dutch aircraft in Europe until the German occupation.  Following the outbreak of war with Japan, the triangle was deemed too similar to the Japanese hinomaru (and I think this occurred pretty soon after war boke out in the Pacific), therefore the tricolour (a representation of the Dutch flag) was adopted and carried by NEIAF aircraft for the remainder of the war (and for some time afterwards) - plenty of pics of B-25s and P-40s on the web to indicate this.

Glad everyone likes the model - thanks for the generous comments.
;D ;D

Ah, more meatball problems then! Cheers! :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Doc Yo

Great build! I've like the D-XXIII since I read about it in Air International back in the 'seventies.

Sturmbock

Like the Merlin engines on this bird. The D XXIII was always a model I wanted to add to my 1940-LvA 'squadron', but never got around doing. Excellent build.

Draken35

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.