Where are the SMW pictures?

Started by philp, November 13, 2010, 04:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 15, 2010, 09:23:31 AM
More than once it was mentioned that the place is now SO big that you can't get round to see all of it in two days. And next year they're talking about making it even BIGGER, extending into the new Hall 4. I'll have to bring a skateboard, it'll be the only way to get around then........  :-\

Have they ever thought of extending the show for a day or two?  The US Nationals runs Wednesday afternoon through Saturday which gives enough time to view the 1500-2000 models and vendors.  I could see spending at least a day in each Hall at Telford.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Also really appreciate all the photos.  For those of us on the other side of the pond, it is the only way to enjoy a bit of SMW.  But, 60, 120, 200 pictures?  Don't you guys have digital cameras?  I took almost 1100 shots at the US Nats and another 340 from the tour I took.  Maybe we need a camera guy or two posted in each hall just to document the whole thing.  Does IPMS/UK have a photo team?

Some great whiffs being shown, several ideas brewing (like I don't have enough ideas already).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Martin H

well when theres around 10-20'000 models on display across three very large halls. You would need at least a month to photograph every thing. so we have to be picky with what we take pics of.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: philp on November 15, 2010, 10:30:43 AM
Have they ever thought of extending the show for a day or two?  The US Nationals runs Wednesday afternoon through Saturday which gives enough time to view the 1500-2000 models and vendors.  I could see spending at least a day in each Hall at Telford.
[/quote]

It's been a two day event for years, since the early 70s as I recall, and the issue of extending it has always been that many people would not be able to get there on Fridays or Mondays because they have work to go to. For the relatively small number of organisers that HAVE to take these days off it's not too much of a problem, but the visitors number in thousands. As IPMS members get in for free, they'd have to rely on the non-IPMS visitor's entrance fees to fund an extension, and there probably wouldn't be enough around to do that.

And yes, we do have digital cameras, that's how I managed to post my pics within an hour or so of getting back to my hotel, but personally I prefer to spend time looking at the models, chatting to friends and buying stuff, rather than spend ALL my time taking piccies!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RotorheadTX

Quote from: Aircav on November 15, 2010, 08:50:30 AM
Hi Hawk
the RN Helo is Lenny's Sikorsky S-67 Blackhawk.
Steve
And STUNNING it is!! Looks SO right with the BERP blades!

Army of One

Lenny.......whoever you are....awesome build n paint there....the sort of quality I would want to replicate....no disrespect to others as I have stated....some awesome building and painting going on.....but I got a 'thing' going again for attack/armed helo's.....well....never really went away actually.... ;D
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

JayBee

Monday evening and getting late.
Photobucket is running slOOOOOOW
and I am knackered.
So, I will try and post my photos over the next few days.

G.night everyone,

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Quote from: philp on November 15, 2010, 10:36:27 AM
Also really appreciate all the photos.  For those of us on the other side of the pond, it is the only way to enjoy a bit of SMW.  But, 60, 120, 200 pictures?  Don't you guys have digital cameras? 

Yes I do but I also have a life. Photography is not my favourite way of passing time at a model show. I'd rather have a chat with friends and the general public, browse the stands, look at the models (although I tend to miss half of them) and drink malt whisky  ;D When I get home there are a lot of things that need to be caught up on. I'm very sorry if this offends but modelling (especially the photographing of such) is not my only interest in life, and I don't like being chivvied.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lenny100

Quote from: Overkiller on November 15, 2010, 01:03:20 PM
Quote from: RotorheadTX on November 15, 2010, 12:57:09 PM
Quote from: Aircav on November 15, 2010, 08:50:30 AM
Hi Hawk
the RN Helo is Lenny's Sikorsky S-67 Blackhawk.
Steve
And STUNNING it is!! Looks SO right with the BERP blades!

I second that motion!  :thumbsup:

Lenny, I never got the opportunity to tell you in person, but that helo is a stunningly good build, seriously top banana  :ph34r:

:cheers:

Duncan

thanks lads, got to admit that that is the only time i have ever been alble to paint anything like a good model as most of the time i brush paint, but i did use my airbrush on that one as its a part of my type 26 static display, it will be inside a removeable hanger, on the ship, and i payed for some good paint for it, i will do a photo shoot of it and paste it up with the full backstory for the mag. befor i start the conversion to a "hanger queen"
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

philp

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 15, 2010, 12:39:03 PM
And yes, we do have digital cameras, that's how I managed to post my pics within an hour or so of getting back to my hotel, but personally I prefer to spend time looking at the models, chatting to friends and buying stuff, rather than spend ALL my time taking piccies!  ;D

OK guys, I understand.  Just giving you lot a hard time.   :wacko:

I didn't know IPMS members got in free.  We pay a bundle to attend the US show and pretty sure that is where most of the funds come from.  Walk ins do make a bit but you have to remember we don't have a group of non members who are waiting for the show to come see what is going on.  It is a different city every year. 

I appreciate all the shots you got and especially fun seeing pics of the guys themselves (with or without rubber chicken/duck).  Just a shame that you even seem to not get a chance to take it all in.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Radish

There's a whole bundle (500+) photos over on the IPMS Netherlands site....but not a single one of Biggles. Bastards!! ;D
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Geoff

There were a few of the Keidthly stand with Eddies' Stukas and Daves Biafran Connie.

philp

Seen the ones from IPMS Netherlands.

Also found this with 900 pics (including a couple of the Biggles stand Radish, in the Club Stands link)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/message/1289841757/Telford+SMW+2010+Pics......
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

NARSES2

Right here we go. I'll start with the What If SIG stand. I think I got everything over the 2 days EXCEPT David's (Kitbasher) excellent Fokker DXXIII  :banghead: :banghead: Many apologies Dave I've know idea how I missed it. Hope someone else got it ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.