Martin Baker Fighters

Started by GTX, November 16, 2010, 11:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I called my models Monsoons, on the grounds that M-B just didn't have the production capacity to make them and they sub-contracted them to Hawkers.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Hmm... Martin-Baker Musketeer sounds quite good.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Matador? 

Mauler?  The MB5 beat the Martin Mauler into the air by 3 months, so.....

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 26, 2024, 12:41:23 PMI called my models Monsoons, on the grounds that M-B just didn't have the production capacity to make them and they sub-contracted them to Hawkers.
That'd be a bit more than subcontracting. ;)

I could see the government ordering the design transferred to Hawker Siddeley and HS management assigning
actual production to Armstrong Whitworth. 

AW's last named fighter was the A.W.35 Scimitar so a sword name wouldn't be outside of the realm of possibility.

perttime

Spitfires and Lancasters were called Spitfires and Lancasters, regardless of who built them???

Old Wombat

Quote from: perttime on January 30, 2024, 09:14:41 PMSpitfires and Lancasters were called Spitfires and Lancasters, regardless of who built them???

Yes.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

Quote from: perttime on January 30, 2024, 09:14:41 PMSpitfires and Lancasters were called Spitfires and Lancasters, regardless of who built them???
That's because they'd already been named and assigned designations before being put into production. Castle
Bromwich was put under Vickers Armstrong management so for all intents and purposes those Spitfires were as
much Vickers built as the Southampton machines, ditto the rest of the dispersed production Spitfires.

The MB.5 never received a name and designation so it's pretty much wide open as to both, but Rapier is unlikely
as Napier already used it for an engine. 

The reason I mentioned the A.W.35 Scimitar is that if the MB.5 was produced by AW then a sword related name
would tie the other guys' design they were building back to AW heritage, morale boosting internal propaganda.
;)