DH Vampire possibilities

Started by Nick, November 19, 2010, 03:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Reading an old edition of Aircraft Illustrated (Feb 1975) I found mention of potential de Havilland Vampire operators. Exact types are not stated but I'm sure a DH expert knows the full details.

Japan evaluated a Trainer version in late 1955 but went with the US option. I suspect having the US as occupiers had some influence.

Syria ordered 2 T.55s in early 1956 but an arms embargo got in the way before delivery. The aircraft were stuck in the UK and scrapped in 1960 at Hatfield.

Ceylon had 5 delivered in 1951 but their government changed their mind and the aircraft were returned to the UK before they got taken out of their packing cases.

Mossie

Nick, I mentioned the Japan & Ceylon Vampires in the Vampire/Venom/Swallow thread.  They were all T.55's.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22690.45.html

Extras:
Saudi Arabia:  Took a several FB.52's as a goodwill gesture from Egypt but retired them less than a year afterwards when they took T-33's.
Portugal:  Evaulated a pair of T.55's, again, they took T-33's instead.
Katanga:  The Portuguese passed the T.55's to Katanga, but were in such a poor state that they never flew & were strafed by Indian Canberras.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on November 19, 2010, 08:50:31 AM
Katanga:  The Portuguese passed the T.55's to Katanga, but were in such a poor state that they never flew & were strafed by Indian Canberras.

Er, what were the Indian Canberras doings strafing Katangese Vampire T55s? Katanga is in Africa.........  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Geoff

The Congo in 63 or there abouts had the IAF as part of the UN forces along with Sweden Ethiopia and Iran IIRC.

Daryl J.

Didn't the Montana Air National Guard have a number of them in Arctic markings stationed at Malmstrom and Glasgow AFB's?  It seems as though they had the blue shag carpet inside them, the idea of which continued in the MANG F-106A's.   

FYI, some of the F-106A in Montana really did have blue shag carpet in the cockpit.   

NARSES2

Quote from: Geoff on November 19, 2010, 03:31:21 PM
The Congo in 63 or there abouts had the IAF as part of the UN forces along with Sweden Ethiopia and Iran IIRC.

Correct Geoff and as far as I know they flew in IAF markings rather then in UN markings
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Yes, IAF Canberras flew in National markings in the Congo.
Meanwhile.....

the French re-engined the Vampire to create the Mistral with a slightly more powerful engine.

But without letting reality get in the way of whatiffery, a Vampire with a highly improbable weapons load would look cool!!
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Mossie

Did Biggles fly Vampires???

A simple conversion would a Nene powered version.  The testbed had no external mods except for a couple of ear intakes for the increased airflow requirements, I'll see if I can dig out a pic.  Maybe a production version would have the wing intakes redesigned slightly?

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

As promised!  These are the details on TG726, there were at least three others fitted with Nene's, TG725, TG280 & TX207.

GTX

How about a crude swept wing Vampire:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Daryl J.

^
|
|
|

Oh that is good.     Not to hijack the thread but something like that would be fun for a Shooting Star as well as the D.H. Vampire/Venom machines.

Geoff

IIRC the Swedish SIG did a pusher prop version with extended wingtips as an April Fool a decade or so ago.

Mossie

It's a shame the Operation Downfall build has finished, the Vampire would have fit in nicely.  The Vampire is a perfect candiate for 'allied '46', it was almost ready to go at the wars end.  The Vampire was seen in wartime colours since it entered service soon after, Dark Green/Ocean Grey over Medium Sea Grey with squadron codes & Type C Roundels.  It wouldn't be much of a stretch though to put it in desert or SEAC colours, snow camouflage even.

kitbasher

Quote from: GTX on November 20, 2010, 11:25:17 AM
How about a crude swept wing Vampire:

Regards,

Greg

You mean the Venom?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on November 21, 2010, 02:46:59 PM
You mean the Venom?

Erm............ does a Venom count as 'swept'? The leading edge sloped back a tad more than the Vampire, but the trailing edge was almost straight. Still looks good though.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit