Best type of model threads/posts?

Started by John Howling Mouse, November 20, 2010, 06:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When displaying a What If model, which type of thread do you prefer?

Chronological showing progress and how-to
40 (78.4%)
Just the finished product (no construction)
6 (11.8%)
Finished end result followed by construction steps
5 (9.8%)
I don't like photos of models
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 48

John Howling Mouse

I've been wondering if people enjoy seeing how a model comes to fruition or if they prefer to simply be hit with the final effect of the completed project.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

AeroplaneDriver

Definitely the first one...thats all the fun of it!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Cliffy B

Ditto!  Especially if there's been a bunch of scratch building, kit bashing, super-detailing, etc...  Everyone learns so much more when seeing well built models step-by-step.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

AeroplaneDriver

Yep, I've learned so much and become a much better modeler just from watching the 'in progress' pics on this forum.

philp

I actually like to open the thread and see the finished product.  Then have all the build photos explaining how you got there.  Too many build threads never get to the finished product (and not just mine :banghead:).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

AeroplaneDriver

You're right that many build threads never get finished...Lord knows I've had my fair share, but I still like to see the progress...I dont need to see a finished build all the time to get some inspiration for a build of my own or to pick up a new technique or a tip...But I can also understand the WOW! factor of opening the thread for the first time and seeing a cool build.  I love that too, just PREFER to see the WIP thread.

apophenia

I like the suspense of watching it unfold. If it doesn't get finished, so be it (the vicarious thrill's been achieved and it becomes a what-if whif   ;) ). Besides, many is the time when dropped projects get resurrected after a hiatus. The modeler's glory at finally reaching that finishing line seems somehow increased.

ChernayaAkula

First one for me, too!  :thumbsup:

Especially in whiffing. When modelling real world subjects, it may not be necessary to show in-progress steps when the subject is a well-known type (F-16s, for instance). On a little more obscure types, in-progress threads can be very interesting. In whiffing, in-progress threads can show what parts from other kits where used to create what effect or what was scratch-built.
On the other hand, it can be entertaining to see the finished result first and guess what types the donor bits came from. :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

anthonyp

I'd like to post in-prog pics of each individual build I do, but sometimes, especially after a winter of me being a technological sociopath, I usually take batches of bandwidth assaulting pics, thus declaring war on modems around the globe.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Tophe

I voted for the first way, which I do, but I do not pretend this is the best. That is just my way and I am satisfied with it.
The final result is in my gallery, which directs (link) to the forum for each model. So from this source, the situation is "finished aspect, then steps".
When I am building a model, I enjoy reaching a step deserving a picture, and receiving comments or suggestions. This is part of the enjoyment I feel in (what-if) modelling. If I should silently spend so many hours PSR without receiving support, maybe I would give up, finding boring this activity, prefering minute-made drawing. When I came in this what-if site, I had been a modeller long time ago but I was just drawing, many ones encouraged me to go back to modelling, they were right: this is very pleasant, this is a hard way but with support every week, it is nice. Thanks again.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

I personally only (I think there was one exception) post pics of completed models. Ideally I should take pics of the construction stages as well but never ger around to it.

I love the photo's of work in progress especially by some of the "masters" it's just I can get a little frustrated when projects I'm watching in awe sometimes drop off the radar. Whence my vote for completed models followed by the work in progress
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

thedarkmaster

Personally i only do the completed model photos, but that's just me.

I do like the whole build in progress thing but i do get annoyed when people take pictures of the box and the sprues before any work is done, that's not work in progress it's opening the box!

So many great build threads have just died and it's such a shame that these huge amounts of great work never get finished
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Weaver

Quote from: thedarkmaster on November 21, 2010, 02:06:18 AM
I do like the whole build in progress thing but i do get annoyed when people take pictures of the box and the sprues before any work is done, that's not work in progress it's opening the box!

In all fairness, one valid reason for doing that is in GB threads: it "proves" that the model wasn't worked on before the official start date.

I like in-progress threads and try to do them myself, but I entirely understand people not wanting to, because taking all the photos and posting them up takes a significant amount of time and effort. I tend to do fewer pics these days and think harder about whether they're showing anything significant or interesting, rather than just "Look I glued the wings on".

There are also some models where their impact is as a joke or a surprise, and in those cases, an in-progress thread would "give the punchline away". Nothing to stop the builder from posting the build shots afterwards though.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I used to be a Type 1 poster, showing the project step by step until I got to the finished article, but.....

In recent months/years I've ended up with SO many projects stalling for one reason after another, and not all for modelling related reasons either, that I switched to a Type 3 for my latest model, posting the finished article with the build story posted at the same time. I always take the piccies as I go anyway, just in case it all goes TU and I have to re-build it later!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sotoolslinger

Definitely #1 I have learned so much from watching other builders. Now I enjoy seeing a nice model posted completely finished but I always would perfer to see the in progress shots.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland