O

Prototypical Piston Perfection: The Martin Baker M.B.5

Started by Overkiller, November 21, 2010, 02:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

Very nice! I wonder why there are no decent models of the M.B.5 on the market. I'm sure that would be a hit, especially in 1:48 scale!

PR19_Kit

That, Duncan (to quote the old Guiness advert...) is RUDDY MARVELLOUS!

Seriously well done there, I just have to see that for real some time, it's excellent!  :cheers: :bow: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Nice one Duncan.  :thumbsup: I was suprised how large it was as well when I finished mine.

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on February 16, 2011, 03:11:02 PM
Very nice! I wonder why there are no decent models of the M.B.5 on the market. I'm sure that would be a hit, especially in 1:48 scale!

The Planet 1/72 kit is very nice (if expensive).
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Stargazer

:o :o :o

I never realized there was such an overall difference in size. It's incredible!  :unsure: :rolleyes:

Mossie

Quote from: Overkiller on February 16, 2011, 11:14:40 PM

Quote from: Mossie on February 16, 2011, 03:01:08 PM
She's a grunty looking girl Dunc! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That she is Simon, one always has this impression that British prop fighters were daintly, pretty little things compared to their oversized, thuggish American counterparts.....  :wacko:

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on February 17, 2011, 01:04:50 AM
:o :o :o

I never realized there was such an overall difference in size. It's incredible!  :unsure: :rolleyes:

I guess it's mostly down to the Spitfire factor.  The Spit was certainly dainty & pretty, although it skews things a bit as apart from the Hornet & possibly the Whirlwind (if I stretch it, the Defiant is dainty-ish, at least for a turret fighter).  After that, there were all sorts of ugly & agricultural British fighters/fighter bombers & as development (mostly down to engines) moved on, they got very big.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

The thing that makes the MB5 LOOK small is its wings. The wings have such a low aspect ratio that you tend to apply 'Mustang scale' to the rest of the aircraft, as it looks so similar, resulting in a false impression of its size.

Kitnut617 and I had a few postings about this a while back and he listed the various dimensions proving the MB5's size compared to other types.

That's one WWII period aircraft I would LOVE to have seen and heard, it's got to have been incredible.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: Overkiller on February 16, 2011, 11:14:40 PM

Duncan

This pic illustrates what I've been trying to say for a while now.  There's a fellow down at Reno who's supposedly building a 1:1 MB5, but he's using P-51 wings and u/c.  If it is 1:1, then he's totally out to lunch.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

I guess like a lot of replicas, he's just going as close as he can.  It'd probably cost an arm, leg & most of the rest of the body to build a perfect MB5.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Doc Yo

I always thought of the MB 5 as smaller myself, but S* boy howdy, she was a beefy brute! ( In a good way )
Very nice looking build of a beautiful aircraft.

Stargazer

Just thinking... This topic on the M.B.5 seems like the perfect occasion to sort of promote my imaginary magazine article on the imaginary U.S. evaluation of the M.B.5 (under the designation XP-74) illustrated with doctored pics and a doctored three-view plan...

If you haven't read it yet, here it is: http://stargazer2006.online.fr/bonus/xp74article.pdf

I'd love to get your impressions some time!

kitnut617

Duncan,

if you have a Grumman Hellcat in the same scale handy, it would be neat to see them together.  Reason being is I found that the MB5 wing is almost a dead ringer to the Hellcat wing from the wingtip back towards the wing fold of the Hellcat.  The ailerons are just about the same size and in the same place, the flaps are the same size but of course the MB5's are split flaps whereas the Hellcats aren't.

Robert

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on February 17, 2011, 02:35:50 PM
If you haven't read it yet, here it is: http://stargazer2006.online.fr/bonus/xp74article.pdf

I'd love to get your impressions some time!

Stargazer, I just LOVE that story, it's so well presented that it's probably on file at CIA Langley!  ;D

An interesting link is that the piccies you used for the P-74 being assembled in the US are actually of John Marlin's Reno-based replica MB5 mentioned above, and it's just about noticable in those pics that although the basic structure of the wing and landing gear is P-51 based he's modified them to such an extent the origins are not obvious.

See another piccie below of the aircraft on display at the Reno races a year or so ago.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I had a link to John Marlin's website but I've seem to have lost it.  From what I understand the fuselage is 1:1 and he used a Shackleton engine, but if you thought before that the original wings were small Kit, the P-51 wings (even modified) are even smaller.  It looks like a real world egg-plane.

kitbasher

The title of this thread says it all.  What a stunning machine, up there with the Spitfire 19, the Hawker (Sabre) Fury, the Sea Fury, the FW190D-9 and the Bearcat.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter