The mysterious Manta

Started by Weaver, November 22, 2010, 04:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Does anyone know if there is a model kit available of the Manta?  I'm thinking not (based upon searches to date).  Might be a good candidate for a scratch build.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Stargazer

Quote from: GTX on October 11, 2011, 04:09:22 AM
Might be a good candidate for a scratch build.

Certainly WOULD BE... but BOY! that wing must be a nightmare to shape and adjust to the specs of the real one!

GTX

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on October 11, 2011, 04:21:25 AM
Quote from: GTX on October 11, 2011, 04:09:22 AM
Might be a good candidate for a scratch build.

Certainly WOULD BE... but BOY! that wing must be a nightmare to shape and adjust to the specs of the real one!

so long as it looks close enough...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

KJ_Lesnick

I'm actually thinking of basing a jet-powered WHIF on this, though the wing-span is substantial; the overall length is about 40-feet which isn't much larger than the P-59 and FH-1. 

The problem I'm having with the concept is determining roughly how much the real Davis Manta weighed, I've guesstimated the weight based on power-loading figures from the P-47 and P-51, but these estimates yielded weight-loads from 14,450 to 21,450 pounds.  Does anybody have more detailed estimates, or know where I could find details of this?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

KJ_Lesnick

Was the Davis Manta and the McDonnell Model 1 the same aircraft?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

jcf

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on November 24, 2011, 10:49:45 AM
Was the Davis Manta and the McDonnell Model 1 the same aircraft?

No.

KJ_Lesnick

joncarrfarrelly

How big was Davis' Manta Aircraft Corporation?

jcf

Based on photos of the mockup, which was only half the airframe BTW, three people
and a small hangar.

KJ_Lesnick

JCF,

I assume more than three were required to build the model ;-)

jcf

Not really, I built a full flight deck and avionics bay mockup of an S-61 by myself, basically the whole front end.
The custom wooden boatbuilder I worked for never had any more than four employees at a time, even on the largest 38' footer.
Building a wooden mockup is actually easier than you realize, in some ways it's simper than building
a scale model.

Anyhow anybody can 'incorporate' a company and there are no requirements as to number of employees
or physical plant.