Sea Vixen PR3

Started by PR19_Kit, November 22, 2010, 01:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

And so it begins..... again  :wacko:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sandiego89

Great idea.

Agree on the wing and center of gravity comments above, and think you could go with less wing and less sweep.  Wing length should be dictated by what you want it to do. If you want lower level strike type recon go with something close to the original wing.  If you want high altitude, go with more wing, but a reduced sweep.  Everything is a compromise.

A Gannet type fold would be great, or a grumman type sweep would also work (ala' wildcat, avenger, E2-C...) 

Build it! 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sideshowbob9

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 23, 2010, 09:02:52 AM
Actually they're not '....that highly swept'.
The sweep angle is exactly the same as the standard FAW2, 36 deg, it's just the ultra-long aspect ratio that makes them look more swept. And who said the nose didn't fold anyway? 

Really? Oh. Never mind then!  ;D

James

I was thinking of doing a VG, supersonic, Skyflash armed development of the Sea Vixen. I think I will wait and see how this comes on first.

Howard of Effingham

hmm, a good idea.

just one thing kit, i can see the nose would fold but wot about the wings and the size of aircraft elevators?
Keeper of George the Cat.

pyro-manic

The Sea Vixen wings fold just outside the booms anyway, so the new wings would just replace the outer sections. They might need another fold towards the tips, a la Gannet, to clear the hangar roof though.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 24, 2010, 05:54:37 AM
The Sea Vixen wings fold just outside the booms anyway, so the new wings would just replace the outer sections. They might need another fold towards the tips, a la Gannet, to clear the hangar roof though.

Exactly.  ;D

And please read the penultimate sentence in post #1............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

General Melchet

Nice idea Kit...swing wing would solve most of your problems, including stowage, blown flaps, high lift devices and uprated engines, (to get the thing off the deck ;))...
Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.

rickshaw

Two questions.

1) What is its wingspan?
2) What was the flight deck widths on British carriers of the period (with deck park)?

Interesting concept but if it can't actually be flown on or off a working carrier without serious changes to how that carrier operates (ie do they need to move the whole deck park to provide clearance?) it may be a bit tricky.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on November 25, 2010, 09:13:41 PM
1) What is its wingspan?
2) What was the flight deck widths on British carriers of the period (with deck park)?

Interesting concept but if it can't actually be flown on or off a working carrier without serious changes to how that carrier operates (ie do they need to move the whole deck park to provide clearance?) it may be a bit tricky.

1) It's written on the plan drawing in post #1................... 66.5 ft

2) To quote Rolls-Royce when asked how much horsepower their car engines produced, 'sufficient'...........  ;D

In any case if I can get Hawker-Siddley to build the PR3 getting the Navy to re-fit the Ark and the Eagle with wider decks will be no porblem if need be.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Nice idea! :thumbsup:
Thinks.... (Bother that means I can put the Xtrakit Sea Vixen back in the stash)
And as for it not fitting on a British Carriers Flt. Deck, Surely it would be flying from one of the "Malta" class Carriers anyway? :party:
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on November 26, 2010, 05:26:00 AM
And as for it not fitting on a British Carriers Flt. Deck, Surely it would be flying from one of the "Malta" class Carriers anyway? :party:

Or CVA-01, that was going to be wide enough for a Victor!

I was astonished at the size of Thorvic's 1/700 scale CVA-01 at Telford, it was GINORMOUS!

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Thanks for this wonderful unknown drawing :thumbsup:
but... should I save it in my directory "what-if fantasy" or else "unbuilt actual projects" (of aircraft manufacturers of those times, I mean, not of modelers today)?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]