Must be getting time to plan the GBs for 2011

Started by GTX, November 27, 2010, 02:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

I'm determined NOT to do GBs next year in order to get some of my personal projects done, but a) there are one or two exceptions, and b) some of those personal projects might fit into a GB anyway.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

JayBee

Quote from: beowulf on November 29, 2010, 12:32:58 AM
Quote from: Hobbes on November 29, 2010, 12:27:26 AM

We just did an air racers GB this year, so Reno Air Racer isn't likely.

bugger!......missed that somehow  :-\

No there wasn't. There was a lot of talk about it but no GB materialised.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

puddingwrestler

I assume we'll have the traditional permanent fixture GB - the One Week GB. The SSGB is a fixture as long as ten or more people sign up. And I have a tendency to run my cup day challenge no matter what.
Also there was some talk about running an annual 'cliche machine' GB in which we choose a particular subject which has become a modeling Cliche (the BF109, Sherman tank, X-Wing fighter etc. etc.) and do strange things to it. I'd love to see that happen once a year.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

pyro-manic

Air Racers
Tiger meet
Africa
Comic & Movies
Sci Fi
Steampunk
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

proditor

Air Racers
Africa
Comic & Movies
Sci Fi
Steampunk

GTX

Ok folks,

I'm putting together the poll.  I want to ensure nothing is missed though.  Here is my suggested list of candidates (note that standard ones like the 1 week GB are automatic):

An alternative Middle-East GB
James Bond GB
The cliché GB
Nightfighters GB
Africa GB
Retro Kit GB
Space... The Final Frontier...GB
Railway GB
Captured Enemy Equipment GB
A Whiffer's Tiger Meet GB
Super Scooters GB
The Aggressor and Adversary GB
Role Playing Games GB
Harrier GR9 GB...or perhaps a VTOL GB?
Demilitarise it GB
Spirit of Habbaniya GB
500 Phantom GB
The BFG, Baby! GB
The Dick Dastardly and Mutley GB
Lets go to the movies! GB
The '46 GB
McCoolness (i.e. McDonnell-Douglas) GB
Shark Mouth GB
In the other side GB
The Really Bad Idea GB
Scratch Build GB
Korean War GB
Never Retired GB
Ship GB
Automotive GB
Trimotor GB
Nuclear Bombers GB
Grumman GB
The teeny-weeny, yellow polka-dot GB
The Single Kit Kitbash GB
Ah, de Havilland GB
The Great War GB
The Punked (e.g. Steampunk) GB
Tank Hunters GB
Tony Buttler's Secret Projects GB

Please let me know if I have missed any or should not have included some.

Some other possible candidates, not already with a thread are:

The MiG GB
The Profiles (i.e. build a kit of a profile someone has done) GB
The Resin Kit GB

I'd like to get the poll up in the coming days, so please be prompt with your suggestions

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

puddingwrestler

You've missed 'With a Herring' and 'Landship'  and 'Figures.'
Landship got votes last time it was listed, so seems silly to ignore it this time.

PR19_Kit

Is that all?  ;D

I'd have thought we could manage one per week for the whole year at least...........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

GTX,

My fire fighter suggestion seems to be getting some interest.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

philp

Ok, counting the last couple mentioned plus the regular builds (1 week, Secret Santa, Profile - thought we agreed to do this one annually but I could be wrong, and the Pirate GB - well Talk like a Pirate Day is every year) we currently have 50 GB ideas.  From 2007 through 2010 we have done a total of 39 GBs (and that includes the 1 week and SS each year).  Obviously, we come up with ideas much faster than we get builds going.  If you submit them all out for a vote, many will get one, some will get 2 and a bunch won't get any.  We need a way to trim down the list to the more popular and then pick 12 or so for next year.  I would suggest everyone gets 5 votes to trim and then the top 20 or so get revoted with only 2-3 votes per person.  Course, the annual GBs are grandfathered in so does that mean 8 new builds on top of those? 10? or maybe the Pirate is not an annual build but a day to show off your pirate builds for the year. 

Just spit balling here.  Lots of ideas I would like to try but with my track record of only finishing 1 GB in the years I have been here, I am not the best voice on this.

(Note to self, start working on the Whiffies)
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

GTX

Quote from: philp on December 03, 2010, 05:27:12 PM
I would suggest everyone gets 5 votes to trim and then the top 20 or so get revoted with only 2-3 votes per person. 

Plan was for everyone to have 5 votes in the poll and be able to change votes (whilst it is open) so that if they note their choice has only say 1 vote (and thus not going to get chosen), they could change.  We can decide how many (and how long they go for) we do once the votes are in - I suspect there will be a couple of definites plus a whole set all about the same position.

Forgot about the Pirate Day...shiver me timbers, thar' be no rum for me tonight!!!!

Other ones noted - will be added to poll list. This was the reason I asked first.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Also,

what do people think of my suggestion for converting the Harrier GR.9 GB idea into a broader  "Straight Up VTOL" type GB?  This would then allow combining this and the various helicopter and similar GB ideas into one?

If not acceptable, we can have a GR9 one in the poll and a VTOL one as a separate choice.

Regards,

Greg

puddingwrestler

VTOL makes more sense by making it broader.
Didn't we have helicopters at one point? So maybe non-helicopter VTOL, including Harriers, the various Yaks, tail sitters etc. etc. etc.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Agreed. Single-type GBs are too narrow, really. VTOL is a better choice.