Project '46

Started by grumpybadger, November 28, 2010, 12:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

My goodness.  What a big errr, muzzle brake.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

philp

Not too far off the right size for a Super Sherman.  This is a 72nd scale conversion.

Another from the same site.  Must be a kit of this somewhere.  Or is this the finished version of the one posted earlier?

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

grumpybadger

Quote from: philp on December 01, 2010, 09:36:35 PM
Not too far off the right size for a Super Sherman.  This is a 72nd scale conversion.

Another from the same site.  Must be a kit of this somewhere.  Or is this the finished version of the one posted earlier?

I believe that is the finished version

raafif

yes, that is the finalised model of that Pz-4 -- tho I prefer the straight panzer-grey colour -- may do the same mods to my 1/35th sclae kit.

A year or so back I found those Nashorn / Hummel apcs both with similar decals.

Great concepts
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

ChernayaAkula

Diggin' the Nashorn/Hummel APCs!  :thumbsup:

That Pz. IV looks very much like the W1466 proposal for a sloped armour (CLICKY! (the turret is a different proposal, though)).

Looks like a Panther was the donor kit for this whif, though. Would've thought that some cutting would be involved to get a Panther hull top on a Pz. IV chassis, but a quick check of a 1/35 Panther Ausf. G and Pz. IV Ausf. J revealed that it's actually a pretty straight-forward swap. The 1/35 Pz. IV hull is even a single mm wider than the Panther's!  :o
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Jacques Deguerre

For some reason, when I saw that British-marked Isherman, it made me think of the "panzers" from the movie The Big Red One (which were repainted Isherman, IIRC).

The thing that always disappoints me a bit with these "Alt WW2" projects is that, while the Germans get all kinds of imaginative, snazzy stuff, the Allies usually seem to plod along with the same old under-armored and under-gunned mid-war vehicles. It's a shame because there's some much WhIf-ing potential, much of it based on real vehicles that were designed and built as prototypes or even deployed in combat. A '46 WW2 scenario would likely include vehicles like the M26 Pershing and early marks of the Centurion, the first fully tracked and enclosed APC, not to mention possibly items like the US M20-series medium tanks (depending on which suspension/transmission/turret/gun combo was ultimately chosen). There's tons of ideas out there, many with real-world prototypes sitting in museums and private collections to this day.

It's not that I mind the paper-uber-panzers but I would just like to see the Allied armor they would have actually faced rather than the "E-100 faces off against 75mm gunned M4" scenario.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

philp

You mean, stuff like this (by the same guy who did the Sherman and Panzer)?

Aircraft wise you can do the F-80, F-84, B-35, B-36, etc.

Big Red One did use Israeli Ishermans but about the only repainting was the cross of iron on them.  Kind of ironic to see an Israeli vehicle wearing those markings.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

ChernayaAkula

Damnnnnnn, but that tank looks AWESOME!:bow:  :bow:  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

bluedonkey99

Quote from: Jacques Deguerre on December 02, 2010, 08:00:17 PM

The thing that always disappoints me a bit with these "Alt WW2" projects is that, while the Germans get all kinds of imaginative, snazzy stuff, the Allies usually seem to plod along with the same old under-armored and under-gunned mid-war vehicles.

Agreed, not enough A-39 Tortoise vs King Tiger III scenarios etc out there! ;)

Mike Wren

I'm currently working out my GI '46 & Tommy '46 line-ups, so we have such things in the US Army as M26 mediums, M29/M30 heavies (like the one pictured above, it's a Cromwell 1/72 resin kit BTW), M36 tank destroyers with HVSS, by this time the Sherman would only be used as a converted APC - mid engined with HVSS (a bit like the Israeli ambulance ones), SPGs like the M39, M40 & M41 would be in service. You'd have developed LVTs too (for the 2nd Rhine crossing?).

for the Brits you'd have Lend lease versions of most of the above, plus Comets, Centurions, 20 pdr Charioteer maybe? Oxford Carriers, turretless recce Chaffees, Cromwell kangaroo APCs, Sextons with HVSS, then there's all the ARVs, AVREs, DDs etc...

and as for night vision equipment, it wasn't just the German who had this, the Brits had been using 'Tabby' for much of the war already... do a Google for 'Tabby night vision'  ;)

:tank:

Radish

WOW!!!!!

Loving the Sherman......must get back into 1/72nd armour!! :thumbsup:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

NARSES2

Quote from: Mike Wren on December 16, 2010, 05:28:46 AM

for the Brits you'd have Lend lease versions of most of the above, plus Comets, Centurions, 20 pdr Charioteer maybe? Oxford Carriers, turretless recce Chaffees, Cromwell kangaroo APCs, Sextons with HVSS, then there's all the ARVs, AVREs, DDs etc...

I like the sound of this Mike  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on December 02, 2010, 09:03:25 PM
Damnnnnnn, but that tank looks AWESOME!:bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Agreed! Eight road wheels?! Awesome!!  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Martin H

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 16, 2010, 07:33:16 AM
Quote from: Mike Wren on December 16, 2010, 05:28:46 AM

I like the sound of this Mike  :thumbsup:

so do I

I am hoping to do a 72nd scale Northamptonshire Yeomanry  M4E8 with a 17pounder some time in the new year. They had Sherman fireflys IRL and are credited with taking down Wittmann.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Mossie

Something I mentioned on the Saladin/Saracen/Stolly thread but how about the Saladin as a '46 type?  It was originally meant to have a 2 pounder with Littlejohn adapter, but it was held back until the 76mm gun was ready.  If the war was still going on, it would almost certainly have been brought forward.  AFAIK the prototype hulls were ready fairly quickly & it was the gun that held it back from entering service.

On a very similar note the M38 Wolfhound would have been available if the war had carried on.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.