Project '46

Started by grumpybadger, November 28, 2010, 12:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wren

Quote from: Martin H on December 17, 2010, 02:43:47 PM
I am hoping to do a 72nd scale Northamptonshire Yeomanry  M4E8 with a 17pounder some time in the new year. They had Sherman fireflys IRL and are credited with taking down Wittmann.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,19068.0.html here's one I started earlier...

Martin H

yep I like that a lot. Great minds thinking alike eh Mike :)

Turns out the gunner who is often credited with the shot that bagged Wittmann lives quite close to me. I may just see if its possible to arrange a meeting with him.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on December 17, 2010, 02:43:47 PM
They had Sherman fireflys IRL and are credited with taking down Wittmann.

Along with a few other claiments as well, as I recall?   ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Mossie on December 17, 2010, 04:02:08 PM
<...> how about the Saladin as a '46 type? <...>

Eight wheels and a Firefly turret!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

wandering enginner

Take one M10/M36 chassis (love those well sloped surfaces), up armour to the level of a M4A3 Jumbo Sherman, take the Jumbo sherman turret and install that lovely british 17 pdr gun and you have a vehicle ready in 1944 instead of 1946.

Madoc

Philip,

Quote from: philp on December 02, 2010, 08:52:16 PM
You mean, stuff like this (by the same guy who did the Sherman and Panzer)

Any more word on the "Super Pershing?"
Wherever you go, there you are!

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

TheSybarite

I wonder what the future of APCs would have been. The Germans had the Kätzchen on the drawing board; would fully-tracked vehicles have been the way forward? Had half-tracks had their day?

Jacques Deguerre

Quote from: TheSybarite on August 27, 2012, 07:45:53 AM
I wonder what the future of APCs would have been. The Germans had the Kätzchen on the drawing board; would fully-tracked vehicles have been the way forward? Had half-tracks had their day?
Basically, yes.... There's a reason the M2/M3 series halftracks were (allegedly) called "Purple Heart Boxes". By the end of WW2, the fully tracked, fully enclosed APC was already becoming a reality. Most people forget the M44 APC that was part of the M24 light tank based "Combat Team" family of vehicles. Of course, the M44 was just *a bit* impractical in terms of size and weight, so the halftrack soldiered on along with the fully tracked but still opened top M39 (a converted M18 Hellcat TD) until the introduction of the M41 based M75 APC in the early 1950s.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

rickshaw

Quote from: TheSybarite on August 27, 2012, 07:45:53 AM

Basically, yes.  The Ram Kangaroo had shown that for the British Army and so the Saracen was born post war (although they still stuck with open-topped carriers for a while).   For the Americans, the M44 and T39 "utility' vehicles had done that for them and led to the M59.  The Soviets were also thinking hard about it, hence the widespread introduction of the BTR series of wheeled APCs for them, post war.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mike Wren

as mentioned previously (a couple of years ago!) in this thread I've finally got round to starting my Sherman APC, so it's a Dragon M4A3 HVSS with the engine moved to the centre and a big box at the back. Idea goes that redundant Sherman gun tanks were rebuilt as pershings came into service. Will take some pics when I get chance. Hopefuuly I'll do it so I can cast some copies as it's pretty universal for adding bits and pieces to as a '46 half track substitute.

BTW here is a new blog site for Queeg and his rather nice work...  http://houseofqueeg.wordpress.com/

Mike Wren

just a quick pic, will start a proper thread for this when I get chance... the one at the back is a card test I did based on a Dragon pre-built

jcf

Cool Mike.

Here's the big version of yer photo, you linked the thumbnail. :thumbsup:

Mike Wren

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.