Retro Kit GB (aka the 'Make the box frothers cry GB')

Started by puddingwrestler, November 29, 2010, 02:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

How about this - build anything you want, but it needs to be a kit of great and startling antiquity. Or a re-issue of a kit of great and startling antiquity. I'm talking buildin' up old 1960s Famous Fighters, or even those 1940s solid wood kits. That kinda thing.
I was going to call it the 'Build something older than you' GB, but then a lot of you chaps were kids at the time. 'Build something from your childhood' doesn't seem fair really, mine was mostly in the 90s so I'd get much better engineering on my kits :thumbsup:
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

JayBee

Quote from: puddingwrestler on November 29, 2010, 02:25:58 AM

I was going to call it the 'Build something older than you' GB,

Sorry PW but Frog Penguin kits are just too expensive to get nowadays :rolleyes:

Jimb
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: puddingwrestler on November 29, 2010, 02:25:58 AM
I was going to call it the 'Build something older than you' GB, but then a lot of you chaps were kids at the time. 'Build something from your childhood' doesn't seem fair really, mine was mostly in the 90s so I'd get much better engineering on my kits :thumbsup:

There are NO kits that are older than me!

But I do have a fair pile of stuff that came from the 50s and 60s still, the Lindberg XF-91 Thunderceptor for example. Mind you it's 1/48 scale so it'll probably appear in a 'stash reduction near you' before much longer!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

ive got a 70's era revell box of the 1/72 F-102 (without decals) in the stash witch is screaming for attention.
would make for a nice RAF or SAAF bird  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

beowulf

lol...a lot of airfixs range are pre1970s!...................i picked up a revel p39 the other day..........found out the moulds are from the 60's!...must be plenty of others like that which are still available
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

pyro-manic

My two "current" builds are the Airfix SB2C Helldiver and the Revell A-1E, 1968 and 1967 respectively. I was born in '85. ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

I've got the Revell re-issue of the box-scale B-47 (the one with moulded-on stars and bars... :rolleyes:) which is destined to get a 1/72nd IL-28 nose and box-scale Skywarrior engines grafted onto it..... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

James

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 29, 2010, 09:06:05 AM
My two "current" builds are the Airfix SB2C Helldiver and the Revell A-1E, 1968 and 1967 respectively. I was born in '85. ;D

So was I! I've got an old Airfix Beagle Bassett in the stash (late 60s).

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Mossie

Hmmm, might give me the kick up the backside I need to do the Revell Boeing SST or Airfix Rotodyne.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Rather than limit it by age of the builder, just define a year as a cut off.  Say 1965.  Anything after that is too modern a tool to count.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

proditor

Might tempt me to finally finish the Cheyenne update I had planned.

Doc Yo

Pretty sure I've got something unbuilt in the stash that would qualify...

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 29, 2010, 03:20:30 AM
There are NO kits that are older than me!

Hmm!, my PAK-20 book says the first plastic models began appearing in the mid-30's ------  :lol:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike