Lockheed/General Dynamics F-106 Next Gen

Started by scooter, November 29, 2010, 05:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

I had a fascinating "What-If" a few years ago.  What if a) the Cold War didn't end in 1991 but the stand-down of USAF/ANG alert missions were still occurred, and b) the F-22 Raptor failed during testing.

The result was General Dynamics making the suggestion to Lockheed and the Air Force to design and produce an updated F-106 variant, based on the Mach 3 F-106E/F and the F-16XL "Scamp", with updated avionics, weapons, engines, and advanced composite construction.

The model started life out as a 1/72 Hasegawa F-106A, the outer wing panels and camera pod came from a 1/72 Hasegawa F-16 kit, the new 2d inlets were scratchbuilt out of plastic sheet, and the missiles and decals came out of the Box o' Doom.  I tentatively call it the F-106G, although I was also thinking F-38 Phoenix

Yeah, I know the asphalt isn't the greatest for the photos, but the original model didn't fare well in my ex-wife's hands while I was deployed after construction.  :banghead:  Although, I do have a 48th scale on the bench, pending putty, sanding and paint

And just because I had a load of time while deployed to Iraq after I built it, here's the "official" AF Fact Sheet on it (and most of it..."borrowed" from the F-15 fact sheet):

Mission

The F-106G is an all weather maneuverable tactical fighter designed to permit the Air Force to defend installations and the CONUS at the farthest point possible, and achieve and maintain air superiority in aerial combat.

Features

The Delta Dart's air superiority is achieved through a mixture of maneuverability and acceleration, range, weapons and avionics. It can penetrate enemy defense and outperform and outfight any current enemy aircraft. The F-106G has electronic systems and weaponry to detect, acquire, track and attack enemy aircraft while operating in friendly or enemy-controlled airspace. The weapons and flight control systems are designed so that one person can safely and effectively perform air-to-air combat.

The F-106G's superior maneuverability and acceleration are achieved through high engine thrust-to-weight ratio, a "cranked arrow" double delta wing structure, and low wing loading. Low wing loading (the ratio of aircraft weight to its wing area) is a vital factor in maneuverability and, combined with the high thrust-to-weight ratio, enables the aircraft to turn tightly without losing airspeed.  The "cranked arrow" double delta was first tested on the F-16XL and increases the maneuverability and payload of the fighter.  Additional changes to the fighter, from its predecessor the F-106A/B, include removing the Semi-Automatic Ground Environment engagement system, the internal missile bay, and trapeze mounts.

The multimission avionics system places the F-106G in the same class as the F-15 Eagle in terms of combat capabilities and pilot workload. It includes a head-up display, advanced radar, inertial navigation system, flight instruments, very high and ultrahigh frequency communications, tactical navigation system and instrument landing system. It also has an internally mounted, tactical electronic-warfare system, "identification friend or foe" system, electronic countermeasures set and the new Boeing Advanced Display Core Processor.

The wide field-of-view heads-up display projects on the windscreen all essential flight information gathered by the integrated avionics system. This display, visible in any light condition, provides the pilot information necessary to track and destroy an enemy aircraft without having to look down at cockpit instruments.  Four Multi-Function Displays have replaced the traditional F-106 instrumentation, reducing pilot workload.  The Joint Helmet-Mounted Cueing System, or JHMCS, will augment those displays.

The lightweight JHMCS allows its user to aim weapons, radar and sensors by looking at a target and pressing a switch, making it unnecessary to maneuver the aircraft into line with the target. With JHMCS, targeting information and data, such as airspeed and altitude, are projected onto the pilot's visor so they are in view at all times. JHMCS allows the user to remain completely focused on what's happening around the aircraft.

The F-106G's advanced AN/APG-63(v)1 radar system can look up at high-flying targets and down at low-flying targets without being confused by ground clutter. It can detect and track aircraft and small high-speed targets at distances beyond visual range down to close range, and at altitudes down to treetop level. The radar feeds target information into the central computer for effective weapons delivery. For close-in dogfights, the radar automatically acquires enemy aircraft, and this information is projected on the head-up display. The advanced Lockheed-Martin ALR-56C(v)1 electronic warfare system and Northrop Grumman's improved ALQ-135M self-protection system provides both threat warning and automatic countermeasures against selected threats.  A Northrop Grumman video camera mounted next to the nose gear wheel well provides long-range identification of targets.

A variety of air-to-air weaponry can be carried by the F-106G. An automated weapon system enables the pilot to perform aerial combat safely and effectively, using the head-up display in conjunction with the JHMCS and the avionics and weapons controls located on the engine throttle or control stick. When the pilot changes from one weapon system to another, visual guidance for the required weapon automatically appears on the head-up display.

The Delta Dart can be armed with combinations of four different air-to-air weapons: AIM-7F/M Sparrow missiles, AIM-9L/M Sidewinder or AIM-120 missiles on pylons under the wings, and two additional AIM-9L/M Sidewinder or AIM-120 missiles on wingtip pylons, and an internal 20mm Gatling gun under the cockpit.

Background

The original F-106A had its first flight on December 26, 1956, entered service with the United States Air Force in July, 1960, and was retired from service in August of 1988.  The F-106G entered service on 4 July, 2000.

However, with the cancellation of the Raptor air superiority fighter program in early 1999, the Air Force was required to find an additional fighter to augment the F-15/F-16 fighters on alert.

The General Dynamics Division of Lockheed Martin had dusted off blueprints of the F-106E/F fighters and, using lessons learned from the F-16XL and F-22, redesigned the Delta Dart, to include a cranked-arrow double delta with wingtip pylons, 21st Century avionics, advanced afterburning turbofan engine, and modified bubble canopy when the YF-22 Raptor began testing as a feasibility study.  When the YF-22 was canceled, General Dynamics had a prototype ready to role out.  Testing and acceptance was accomplished in less than a year, with the first squadrons equipped at Luke AFB with F106H trainers.

The F-106H is the two-seat trainer version of the F-106G, and retains all the combat capabilities of the single-seat version.

The Block 30 variant incorporates the Raytheon Advanced Self-Protection Integrated Suite, originally developed for the Hellenic Air Force F-16 Block 50s and replaces both the Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman electronic warfare suites, an onboard oxygen generation system, and an AN/APX-113 advanced electronic interrogator/transponder system.

General Characteristics
Primary Function: Tactical Fighter
Contractor: General Dynamics
Power Plant: Pratt & Whitney F119
Thrust: 35,000 lbs
Wingspan: 48'0"
Length: 70.75 feet (21.56 meters)
Height: 20.33 feet  (6.2 meters)
Speed: 2,000 mph + (Mach 2.6 plus)
Ceiling: 68,000 feet (20,726 meters)
Range: Classified
Crew: F-106G: 1; F-106H: 2
Armament: One internally mounted M-61A1 20mm, six-barrel cannon with 940 rounds of ammunition; six AIM-9L/M Sidewinder and four AIM-7F/M Sparrow air-to-air missiles, or ten AIM-120 AMRAAMs, carried externally.
Date Deployed: 4 July 2000
Inventory: Active Force: 300; Reserves: 0; ANG: 100

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Cobra

Super Cool & Well Done! Sure you Didn't work for Derek Meddings? This looks like something you'd see from Stingray,Thunderbirds,or More likely,Joe 90! Great Work :thumbsup: :cheers:Dan

scooter

Quote from: Cobra on November 29, 2010, 05:44:34 PM
Super Cool & Well Done! Sure you Didn't work for Derek Meddings? This looks like something you'd see from Stingray,Thunderbirds,or More likely,Joe 90! Great Work :thumbsup: :cheers:Dan

Thanks.  It came purely out of the insanity I call my mind.  And the tail code, for anyone interested, is for Misawa AB, prior to their becoming a Wild Weasel wing.  And, in this case, assigned to the 14th FS.
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

anthonyp

WHIFGASM!!!!!!    :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Maybe re-designate it the F-24, since some test pilot had that on his resume until taken down on his web bio a few years back.  It's basically an all new AC from your write-up.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Great work,
My only concern is the air intakes, they look a bit out of place. Shock-cone i.e Mirage 2000 or even keeping the F-106 intakes, maybe the F-4 design.
:bow:

scooter

Quote from: McColm on November 30, 2010, 03:26:45 AM
Great work,
My only concern is the air intakes, they look a bit out of place. Shock-cone i.e Mirage 2000 or even keeping the F-106 intakes, maybe the F-4 design.
:bow:

The thing about two-dimensional intakes is you don't have to worry about high Alpha maneuvers cutting off the airflow to the engines, one reason why the F-14/15/18 have them.  And they were to have been used on the F-106X, had it gone into production, as evidenced by the conceptual photo below. 

The 106 is one of my favorite Century-series fighters, and I've done my homework, even into this variant/new airframe.
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

sideshowbob9

Great looking model! I particularly like the intakes.

McColm

sotoolslinger

Most excellent. Great design and execution :wub: :thumbsup:
Thank you for your service :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

chrisonord

Totally cool piece of kit there scooter :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

ysi_maniac

Beautiful! :wub: :wub:
Love this Ultra Delta Dart! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Highest level indeed. :bow: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.