Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

We'll be shouting encouragement if you do! :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

This one found from the C4 open 2016, no credit given:

This here by user Rattlesnake on "Wargaming in Sverige!" on Blogspot:

"Hello all!
Here is the latest addition to my collection of 1/300 scale aircraft for CY6. It is an Me-262 and I decided to use some creativity and give it a Red Barron paint job. This is not historical but I wanted something a little different for the Luftwaffe.
"

More, here: http://wargameinsvergie.blogspot.com/2014/09/me-262-for-cy6.html

All kinds of other stuff is popping up but I want to look at it more to determine if the stuff is actually whif or not.
-Sprues McDuck-

RAFF-35

Nowadays it's not often that I come across a plane that I've never heard of or seen before, but I found this fantastic German project the other day which I'm now drawing up how I'm going to scratch build it  ;D should be simple enough...

It had performance figures to rival the untouchable U-2 as well  :o

It also reminds me of a plane I saw from a link I found on here somewhere the other day.....

Which makes me consider whether to use a hybrid power source of a rocket motor and a jet so that the aircraft doesn't need to piggyback up to altitude but that then reduces speed, range and altitude or just use the rocket and accept the associated flaws with that method?  :o
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

Captain Canada

Cool stuff. Love the long winged spy planes !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

A WWII U-2 even.  :thumbsup:

It seems that Huma even made a kit of it too.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Apologies if this has been posted in the past, only came across it tonight (which is weird as I'm familiar with Bjorn's pages).

http://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/gig/f1-17.html

Lockheed F1/17 Formula 1 car.

1/144 F-117 becomes 1/43rd Formula 1 car.

;D

TheChronicOne

Wooo... yeah.. wow, have a go at that!  Talk about re-purposing.. that is really cool!! Knowing what it is, I can start to spot the parts...  ;D

Coincidentally, I've had my eye on an F-1 car model kit on ebay for some time.  I'm planning to dispense with the wheels 'n all that and put a glass canopy on it,  add some wings and nose and such.
-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 18, 2016, 07:59:23 PM
A WWII U-2 even.  :thumbsup:

It seems that Huma even made a kit of it too.

You just need two of them for a bash, and maybe the engine nacelle(s) from He 162 or Me 262. Should look interesting.  :thumbsup:

Nice find in the comic!

perttime

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 24, 2016, 07:47:11 PM
...I've had my eye on an F-1 car model kit on ebay for some time.  I'm planning to dispense with the wheels 'n all that and put a glass canopy on it,  add some wings and nose and such.
Lots of F-1 car noses would do fine as-is. Just use the front wing as a canard. The air intakes would be fine for feeding a jet engine.
That would make a nice small airplane for some purpose or another...

TheChronicOne

Quote from: perttime on November 26, 2016, 01:33:01 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 24, 2016, 07:47:11 PM
...I've had my eye on an F-1 car model kit on ebay for some time.  I'm planning to dispense with the wheels 'n all that and put a glass canopy on it,  add some wings and nose and such.
Lots of F-1 car noses would do fine as-is. Just use the front wing as a canard. The air intakes would be fine for feeding a jet engine.
That would make a nice small airplane for some purpose or another...
Officer thinking!  I like that, you're right.  In my mind I see it taking shape and has the potential to look really cool.. the shape of the cars is as aerodynamic as any aircraft. 
-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

That stealth car is a cool idea !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 26, 2016, 09:21:04 AM

the shape of the cars is as aerodynamic as any aircraft.

The only problem is the aerodynamics are upside down. The cars are designed to stick DOWN onto the road, whereas the aircraft are supposed to go up.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 26, 2016, 05:09:58 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 26, 2016, 09:21:04 AM

the shape of the cars is as aerodynamic as any aircraft.

The only problem is the aerodynamics are upside down. The cars are designed to stick DOWN onto the road, whereas the aircraft are supposed to go up.....

Very true, this is where the new wings and stuff would come into play. The front canards and the spoiler are what does all the downforce action, and would either be modified or removed completely for new parts (spoiler definitely gone).  I was speaking more of the car body itself. Take the wheels, canards, and spoiler off and we're left with a decent "body" that could accept new stuff that works like planes are supposed to instead of 200+ MPH cars.   ;D

I wish I were better at drawing and using MSpaint..  I'd like to get an F1 car and "strip" that stuff off and see what's left. I can "see" it in my mind but it's sort of hard to put into words, try as I might..  :-\  I also wish I were better at articulating my thoughts.  I'll try to whip something up in MS Paint if I can.  :) 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I shouldn't be so hard on myself.. I think I managed to actually get this drawn up pretty much like I imagined... 

First, take all the "mess" off:

Then make a plane :lol:  :

Once one dispenses with the superfluous bits the core body of an F1 car looks undeniably like a twin engine fighter jet or something. 
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

You'd need to do something about the shape of the floor of the car's body.

That provides a significant amount of the downforce due to it's reverse airfoil shape. Admittedly, for an aircraft it would have a major effect only when it was accelerating along the runway, as soon as it lifted off the downforce would decrease rapidly, but it might make control a little dicey during take-off and landing.

Regards
Kit