Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 25, 2019, 08:00:25 AM
A bi-plane, tilt wing, double deck VTOL airliner with no fin at all?  :o

That's some 'advanced technology' alright.  :thumbsup:

From the first drawing, it seems to have a swing-nose too.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

But fins that rotate WITH the wings?  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 25, 2019, 11:25:50 AM

Don't really need 'em in vertical flight up or down ... probably.  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 25, 2019, 11:25:50 AM

Well as long as you ALWAYS land vertically, then you can rotate the wings/fins/engines to stop the ventral fins from hitting the ground. That removes the rote-clearance limit on the size of the ventral fins, and, indeed, the four on this bird seem to be all the same size. Four small fins should be structurally lighter than one big one, since each will exert much less bending force on it's root. Of course the flip side is that four fins complicate the rudder control system too, but there's no sign of rudders on this one... :unsure:

I'd love to tell you the terribly good reason for mounting the fins on the engine nacelles, but it escapes me for the moment, as does the knowledge of what exactly is holding the front of the fuselage up when it's in VTOL mode... :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Crystal Palace Aerodrome would be dead handy for Chris.

Quote from: Weaver on June 25, 2019, 10:44:56 PM
...what exactly is holding the front of the fuselage up when it's in VTOL mode... :o

Art.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

zenrat industries  bootstrapium bladders in the forward fuselage, astern of the glazing. ;)

Awesome tech for 1898! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Scotaidh

Quote from: zenrat on June 26, 2019, 01:45:29 AM

Quote from: Weaver on June 25, 2019, 10:44:56 PM
...what exactly is holding the front of the fuselage up when it's in VTOL mode... :o

Art.

Oh - is that the invisible man's name?  He's very strong.  ;)

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Weaver

This is why it made me think of Ministry Of Space: the artist has done a splendid job of capturing the visual style of the era, without letting the fact that he has absolutely no idea how things actually work hold him back...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 26, 2019, 01:45:29 AM

That was my very first thought on seeing the illustration  ;D

Was just wondering if it was in addition to, or instead of Croydon Airport ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Technicalized street rods, posted on Twitter by Hobby Dude ( @BigHobbyDude ) here: https://twitter.com/BigHobbyDude/status/1147287111835328512

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

First one looks like it has two engines (possibly big block Chevys).  Could work for the current GB...
The problem with building such things in 1/24 or 1/25 is the scarcity of weapons in that scale.  Although that may change with the advent of 3d printing and shapeways..
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

The weapons on those do look a bit 'interesting': close to real ones but not quite.

This is also, of course, why outfits like Meng have started doing generic definitely-not-Landcruisers in 1/35th.

There are quite a few staff cars and pre-war supply trucks in 1/35th that would look good hot-rodded...

These look hot-roddable (all 1/35th):

(ICM 1/35th scale Benz top G4 (W31) )

(Just for a laugh...)

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

1/48th hot-rodder-fodder:

This one even comes with it's own guns!

- Indiana Jones

Scotaidh

Very trusting officer, on that last truck.  :)

Weaver

1/35th choppable trucks:

Hobby Boss GAZ AA:

Hobby Boss GAZ AAA:

There are loads more in the ICM range, plus Mini-Art do all the GAZ-AA/AAA/MMs as well. Zvezda do a GAZ-AA too.
My understanding is that the GAZ-AA truck is basically an early Ford design built under licence.

- Indiana Jones