Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Scotaidh on July 06, 2019, 07:57:26 AM
Very trusting officer, on that last truck.  :)

It's OK, he's the commissar...
:wacko:
...and you can take that either way.  ;)

I agree that all those vehicles are eminently Hot Roddable (especially the Traction Avant) and weapons would be available in those scales, but you would not have any Hot Rod wheels or wider tyres or engine tuning parts.  Unless you scaleoramaed them of course.

ICM have take the very sensible step of producing a number of their 1/35 cars in 1/24 as well.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on July 07, 2019, 05:40:31 AM
I agree that all those vehicles are eminently Hot Roddable (especially the Traction Avant) and weapons would be available in those scales, but you would not have any Hot Rod wheels or wider tyres or engine tuning parts.  Unless you scaleoramaed them of course.

That's what I was thinking: you could scaleorama wheels from small 1/24th cars, or, since the original inspiration was armed rat-rods, you could use military tires from bigger vehicles, either in the same scale or a larger one.

Some of these have detailed engines and some of them don't (the Citroen 11CV doesn't). If they do, then you can always 'tune up' the original engine. If they don't, then either fit one from another source (there are lots of resin aircraft engines available in all sorts of scales) or leave the hood in place and just fit fancy pipes and intake gear. Yes, you are probably going to have to scratchbuild at least some of that.

Hmmm - having a scout through Hannants, there isn't much that comes out at a sensible size, even going from 1/72nd to 1/35th:

A 27-litre Merlin in 1/72nd scale scaleoramas out to 13.125 litres in 1/35th scale.
CMK make an Argus As-410 V-12 in 1/72nd scale, which scaleoramas out to 5.8 litres in 1/35th scale.
Karaya make an Argus As-10c V-8 in 1/72nd scale,  which scaleoramas out to 6.16 litres in 1/35th scale.

You can get various military vehicle engines in 1/35th, but they're mostly tank engines. There are a few truck engines, however.
CMK make a Steyr 1500 engine set which is a 3.5 litre V-8 (I think).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Scotaidh

The very first car model I ever built was scratched from a box o' parts given to me by a college room-mate.  I used semi (HGV) duallies at the rear and slingshot dragster wheels at the front.
The chassis was made of sprue, IIRC - that was in 1977, ye ken, so my memory's a bit fuzzy on the details.

My tools consisted of a pocket knife and a tube of tangerine-scented glue ...

My point being that any car/truck parts can pretty much be used with any other car/truck parts.  We see this in the real world, too - the monster truck Bearclaw is a pickup truck attached to the top of an M5 Stuart chassis .
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

TheChronicOne

What was/is up with that citrus-ey smell anyway?  Nothing brings on nostalgia of childhood like the smell of Testors tube glue and enamels...
-Sprues McDuck-

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Weaver on July 07, 2019, 06:30:05 AM
<...>
A 27-litre Merlin in 1/72nd scale scaleoramas out to 13.125 litres in 1/35th scale. <...>

Does it work that way with volumes?  :-\ Okay, 1/72 is roughly half of 1/35. So, wouldn't a single "1/35 litre" have space for eight "1/72 litres"? Twice as long, but also twice as wide and twice as high? Wouldn't a 1/72 Merlin then have a displacement of just 27/8= 3.375 litres when used on a 1/35 build?
Actually just 3.101 litres (when figuring actual 35/72=0.486 and not for simplicity's sake 35/72=0.5).
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Old Wombat

Displacement is a cubed-variable - &, "No!", I'm not going to try & work it out - ChernayaAkula's on the money.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Scotaidh

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 07, 2019, 10:01:04 AM
What was/is up with that citrus-ey smell anyway?  Nothing brings on nostalgia of childhood like the smell of Testors tube glue and enamels...

The citrus scent did two things.  It indicated that there was no toluene in the glue (which is why, as a glue, it sucked ditch-water sideways), and it was an attempt to soothe non-modelers with a "non-chemically (nasty) smell" to increase popular (ie, non-modeler) tolerance for modeling and thus increase their customer base.  Not really a bad idea - if only the glue had actually worked.

<end of hijack>

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Weaver

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on July 07, 2019, 06:27:09 PM
<...>
A 27-litre Merlin in 1/72nd scale scaleoramas out to 13.125 litres in 1/35th scale. <...>

Does it work that way with volumes?  :-\ Okay, 1/72 is roughly half of 1/35. So, wouldn't a single "1/35 litre" have space for eight "1/72 litres"? Twice as long, but also twice as wide and twice as high? Wouldn't a 1/72 Merlin then have a displacement of just 27/8= 3.375 litres when used on a 1/35 build?
Actually just 3.101 litres (when figuring actual 35/72=0.486 and not for simplicity's sake 35/72=0.5).

Doh! Yes, you're right of course... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I suspect it's more complicated than that, because we're dealing with the volume of cylinders. The piston stroke is a straight dimension which scales linearly, but the bore of the piston has to be converted into an area to get the volume and that makes it a square function. I've run a few examples where I've taken cylinders of the same volume but different proportions, scaled them linearly, and worked out the new volume, and it comes out different. The conversion factor between the volumes comes out as anything from x 8.5 to x 8.75.

Having said that, that isn't a big range of conversion factors when you consider that engines can be bored out in the original block without changing their outward appearance. And all of this is, of course, good news for Zenrat, since it means he can use a much wider range of sub-scale aircraft engines (including 1/48th) to make 1/35th hotrods.  :thumbsup:

Conversion factor for 1/48th to 1/35th = 2.58

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Benelli make a 1 litre V-8 engine for one of their motorcycles, why not a 3 litre V-12
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on July 08, 2019, 01:21:42 AM

The citrus scent did two things.  It indicated that there was no toluene in the glue (which is why, as a glue, it sucked ditch-water sideways), and it was an attempt to soothe non-modelers with a "non-chemically (nasty) smell" to increase popular (ie, non-modeler) tolerance for modeling and thus increase their customer base.  Not really a bad idea - if only the glue had actually worked.

There's a styrene glue about now that smells of citrus too, it's called 'Limon-something or other' and it's meant to be wholly natural in content. I've got some (but can't find it to get the correct name  :banghead:) and I use it mainly for gluing paper and card onto styrene, not sure how well it works with styrene-styrene joints though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on July 08, 2019, 02:40:49 AM
<...>

Doh! Yes, you're right of course... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I suspect it's more complicated than that, because we're dealing with the volume of cylinders. The piston stroke is a straight dimension which scales linearly, but the bore of the piston has to be converted into an area to get the volume and that makes it a square function. I've run a few examples where I've taken cylinders of the same volume but different proportions, scaled them linearly, and worked out the new volume, and it comes out different. The conversion factor between the volumes comes out as anything from x 8.5 to x 8.75.

Having said that, that isn't a big range of conversion factors when you consider that engines can be bored out in the original block without changing their outward appearance. And all of this is, of course, good news for Zenrat, since it means he can use a much wider range of sub-scale aircraft engines (including 1/48th) to make 1/35th hotrods.  :thumbsup:

Conversion factor for 1/48th to 1/35th = 2.58

One of the tricks I use when I can't get off to sleep is to try to calculate this sort of thing in my head.

If I was hot rodding 1/35 vehicles i'd use the smaller 1/25 V8 engines, wheels and tyres.  They might be a bit on the large size but that would give a suitable cartoony look.
Speaking of which, Speedy here has 1/24 rear wheels and 1/32 front wheels - both Hawker Typhoon.
Speed Buggy 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

Quote from: zenrat on July 09, 2019, 04:35:50 AM
Quote from: Weaver on July 08, 2019, 02:40:49 AM
<...>
snip

One of the tricks I use when I can't get off to sleep is to try to calculate this sort of thing in my head.

If I was hot rodding 1/35 vehicles i'd use the smaller 1/25 V8 engines, wheels and tyres.  They might be a bit on the large size but that would give a suitable cartoony look.
Speaking of which, Speedy here has 1/24 rear wheels and 1/32 front wheels - both Hawker Typhoon.
Speed Buggy 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Brilliant!   :thumbsup:

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 08, 2019, 07:07:25 AM
Benelli make a 1 litre V-8 engine for one of their motorcycles, why not a 3 litre V-12

Ferrari made V-12s ranging from 1.5 to 5 litres. 3 litre V-12s were not uncommon.

BRM made a 1.5L V-16 and a 3L H-16.

jcf

Going the other way from the 1/25th to 1/35th, the 136 in3 Ford V-8/60 flathead that comes in
one of the versions of the Revell Kurtis Midget racer kit scales roughly to a 373 in3/6.2L engine.

The engine measures about 1.5" from the front to the end of the gearbox, and the oil pan is about the
same length as the one moulded to the frame of the Bronco Kfz. 13 kit, which I bought some time back
with hot-rodding in mind.
;D

https://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/kurtis-midget-racer-edelbrock-equipped-v-860-trailer

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=4724

A good series of articles on the little flathead:
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-the-small-flathead-v8-part-one-the-pre-war-years/
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-the-small-flathead-v8-v8-60-part-deux-the-post-war-fords/
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-european/automotive-history-the-small-ford-flathead-v8-v8-60-part-three-the-simca-years/

:thumbsup:

Snowtrooper

Regarding small V-8/V-12 engines, back when I was a kid, a local car magazine had an article how some local gearhead had modified a VW Beetle with a selfmade V-8 made from two Škoda 120 inline-4 cylinder blocks. Amazingly, the article claimed the contraption even worked and moved rather swiftly (apparently the builder had tuned the engine to produce more HP than two stock engines would have; can't remember if there was a blower or turbo and/or had he raised the compression ratio and/or lenghtened the stroke).