Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Traditional airship or dirigible layout is essentially a ventral cockpit.

I often fall asleep on the chiropractors couch because I find it so comfortable being prone.  It is designed so my arms are on rests below me (not beneath me - I am not lying on them) in a position which would be perfect to operate fly by wire fingertip controls.
The head position though is all wrong for piloting as it is face down supported by two padded rollers.  Lifting the head to face more forward would result in neck pain if done for any time.
I suppose the pilot could view a screen directly below their face.  No need for any glass at all then.

Thinking about it lying prone looking straight down would be an ideal position for a high altitude bomber or recce plane.  IN that case the object of the mission is directly below which is also where any threat will come from.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on February 23, 2020, 09:28:25 PM

Note that my general point about ventral cockpits doesn't neccessarily mean prone cockpits: you can be hanging out of the bottom of the plane in a 'glass bubble' or sitting in the bottom half of the nose instead of the top half, and still be in a comfy chair.

Some of the more extreme Blochs and Amiots just prior to WWII would fulfil those criteria well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 23, 2020, 11:53:18 PM
Quote from: Weaver on February 23, 2020, 09:28:25 PM

Note that my general point about ventral cockpits doesn't neccessarily mean prone cockpits: you can be hanging out of the bottom of the plane in a 'glass bubble' or sitting in the bottom half of the nose instead of the top half, and still be in a comfy chair.

Some of the more extreme Blochs and Amiots just prior to WWII would fulfil those criteria well.

Very much so.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Joe C-P

(Desperately stifling the urge to make a comment about the chosen call sign...   :-X  Knowing you lot have all had the same thought.   :wacko: )

Is that street legal, what with the giant vision block ahead of the driver?
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

PR19_Kit

I doubt it.

The prop blades are nowhere near the minimum radius allowed for pedestrian protection.

He/she'd only be allowed to run it inside a showground, and even that would have to confirm to their H&S regulations, if they bothered to think about it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Joe C-P

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 29, 2020, 02:25:42 PM
I doubt it.

The prop blades are nowhere near the minimum radius allowed for pedestrian protection.

He/she'd only be allowed to run it inside a showground, and even that would have to confirm to their H&S regulations, if they bothered to think about it.

Ah, yes, I can imagine the prop would need to be bigger to protect the car from pedestrians.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Weaver

'Very Gerry' Soviet rocketship from 1962, posted on Twitter by Nick Stevens Graphics here:
https://twitter.com/Nick_Stevens_Gr/status/1239868946209259522?s=20

Nick's well worth a follow in general:

Twitter: @Nick_Stevens_Gr
Website: https://nick-stevens.com/the-artist/professional-work/

Edit: He also just posted this equally old Soviet graphic about space applications for nuclear propulsion:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Looks like the Russians had an 'L Ashwell Wood-alike'!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 17, 2020, 11:25:46 AM
Looks like the Russians had an 'L Ashwell Wood-alike'!  :thumbsup:

Indeed they did, and published in орлиный;  комикс для мальчиков   
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Posted on Twitter by Trev Clarke here: https://twitter.com/TrevClark1958/status/1242131477057470466?s=20

Trev's a former curator of Tangmere museum, and his feed is well worth a look if you're on Twitter - endless stream of aviation pics of all sorts: @TrevClark1958

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

I daw that on Facebook  last night, very interesting  reading.  I am just glad  nobody decided to  build anything like that.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

It has bits of XB-70 about it, the underfuselage engine pod, and the canards as well as the overall shape of the thing.

Not quite sure why it would need triple nosewheels though.

Regards
Kit