Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on August 22, 2013, 07:14:16 PM
Steam punk awesomeness!
Where are the airship kits?.........

(from here: http://www.hawkmodels.com/zeppelin70816.html)

(from the Captain Harlock / Queen Esmereldas anime)

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

IF you can find them, apart from the two Revell Zeppelins.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 23, 2013, 02:24:09 PM

A few of the other ones are reasonably findable:

The Hawk Zeppelin was reintroduced in 2007, is in their current catalogue and can be found new on US retail sites, though how many they've actually sold and where you can get them over here is anyone's guess. It's fairly pricey.

The USN Blimp was reissued by Glencoe in 2007 and there are a few about if you keep your eye on ebay.

The Revell Goodyear blimp turns up on ebay from time to time, but it's expensive because of the lighting kit.

The Bandai Capt Harlock ship can be had from international sellers on ebay.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

ericr

Quote from: Weaver on August 23, 2013, 04:48:28 PM

The Hawk Zeppelin was reintroduced in 2007, is in their current catalogue and can be found new on US retail sites, though how many they've actually sold and where you can get them over here is anyone's guess. It's fairly pricey.

The USN Blimp was reissued by Glencoe in 2007 and there are a few about if you keep your eye on ebay.

The Revell Goodyear blimp turns up on ebay from time to time, but it's expensive because of the lighting kit.

I think they are still findable : apart the GoodYear and Bandai, I could find them all;
The R100 comes with a lovely ground building.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: ericr on August 23, 2013, 11:56:56 PM

I think they are still findable : apart the GoodYear and Bandai, I could find them all;

There's the Aerobase 1/1000th Graf Zeppelin in photo-etch too, if you're feeling brave....

http://www.aerobase.de/e_c001.html

- Indiana Jones

Madoc

Rickshaw,

My oh, my!  Those are beauties!  And, of course, rather hard to get these days.  That 299A seems the thing of legend now and the VB 10-01 seems almost at the same level.

Wherever you go, there you are!

philp

Quote from: ericr on August 23, 2013, 11:56:56 PM

There was a R100 at the US Nats this year.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Madoc

Philip,

That R-100 was very nicely done.  From the write-up of it there on the table, its maker did a lot of scratching on that tower to make it better than blob of plastic that was the original kit.  It really showed.

And that image also captures another kit I have - the 12 Squared RB-1 Dayton-Wright Racer there in the lower left.  In 72nd scale that thing is TINY and it was really done up nice.  Rather inspiring so I got a whole buncha photos for my eventual effort with it.
Wherever you go, there you are!

PR19_Kit

The Frog built versions of the R-100 kit had the tower moulded quite crisply, I've had one built up for many years being a big fan of the R-100.

But the later Novo and Maquette moulded versions seem to lack something in crispness and are usually neck deep in flash as well. Trying to carve all the flash out of the girders of tower can be a major job with some mouldings.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lenny100

ok i in, i make the royal navy SAR from a zeppelin nt i have in the stash
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: lenny100 on August 25, 2013, 09:09:32 AM
ok i in, i make the royal navy SAR from a zeppelin nt i have in the stash

good idea lenny. it can do some maritime patrol while its at it too.
Keeper of George the Cat.

NARSES2

OGL of the UK SIG has a rather tasty R-100 in his care I think, it managed an Atlantic crossing no problem  ;D.

Interesting programme on TV last night about the Zeppelin threat

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lenny100

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 27, 2013, 07:36:34 AM
OGL of the UK SIG has a rather tasty R-100 in his care I think, it managed an Atlantic crossing no problem  ;D.

saw that also thought it was a nice starter but needed a bit more
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

NARSES2

Quote from: lenny100 on August 27, 2013, 07:39:12 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 27, 2013, 07:36:34 AM

saw that also thought it was a nice starter but needed a bit more

Very much so Lenny, but at least Ch 4 do these things to "tickle the taste buds". As far as I can tell a lot of it was from a book I have "First Blitz"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.