Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 11, 2024, 04:21:29 AM
Quote from: perttime on March 11, 2024, 04:18:02 AMWilliam Conrad fat?
Back in 1976, he fit in a PIK-20 glider.

You cannot view this attachment.

... there were rumours, though, that it took some effort to get him out???

Hmmm, I've been in one too, and I can imagine they'd have needed a giant shoehorn to lever him out! It's a pretty slim aeroplane!

I have a few hour's on some Pik-20's myself. Magnificient gliders. The coupled flaperons made them surprisingly agile (for a glider) and when pushing a few degrees negative flap, they ran away like rockets. Ah, the memories..  :wub:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

CammNut

How Tophe would have loved this one! From a press release by the University of New South Wales

https://www.unsw.edu.au/science/about-us/creating-impact/decarbonising-flight

You cannot view this attachment.

jcf

Oi vey, not only crap AI, but crap AI they bought from Adobe.
:rolleyes:   
What gormless eejit do they have handling their website?
:banghead:

kerick

They always forget about where does the hydrogen come from. The most common way is from methane, a petroleum product. This uses a lot of energy that has to be produced from something. The other way is splitting water molecules, which also uses a lot of energy. So where does this energy come from? A nuke plant? Burning coal? If you consider the energy lost to inefficiencies these plans tend to make the overall situation worse instead of better. Baffles me to no end.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

The direct byproducts of steam reformation to split methane to produce hydrogen are themselves very problematic and it's how
over 98% of the current hydrogen supply is produced.
Burning hydrogen is incredibly inefficient, not only the costs of production but those of storage and transport have to be factored
in, the tiny H2 molecule is very difficult to corral, it can creep through or react with, so many materials that loss is a major problem.
Adding as little as 10% to the natural gas supply to a gas turbine used to generate electricity increases NOX emissions 15 fold.

kerick

I'm so fed up with these "solutions" to environmental problems that are not thought out and would make things worse. Get the amateurs and politicians out of the way and let the engineers solve the problems.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Rat

Quote from: jcf on September 02, 2024, 06:45:19 PMThe direct byproducts of steam reformation to split methane to produce hydrogen are themselves very problematic and it's how
over 98% of the current hydrogen supply is produced.
Burning hydrogen is incredibly inefficient, not only the costs of production but those of storage and transport have to be factored
in, the tiny H2 molecule is very difficult to corral, it can creep through or react with, so many materials that loss is a major problem.
Adding as little as 10% to the natural gas supply to a gas turbine used to generate electricity increases NOX emissions 15 fold.

So here's what we do: Use solar panels to generate electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, which is then combusted to produce water. That water goes back into the tank to be split again, and the whole process repeats. This way, society gets a perpetual motion machine, and I get a Nobel Prize. And groupies, don't forget the groupies.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on September 03, 2024, 09:56:16 AMI'm so fed up with these "solutions" to environmental problems that are not thought out and would make things worse. Get the amateurs and politicians out of the way and let the engineers solve the problems.

You need a small number of politicians to set the framework of the projects and provide and keep an eye on funding, but other than that I agree with you.

Quote from: The Rat on September 03, 2024, 10:53:22 AMSo here's what we do: Use solar panels to generate electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, which is then combusted to produce water. That water goes back into the tank to be split again, and the whole process repeats. This way, society gets a perpetual motion machine, and I get a Nobel Prize. And groupies, don't forget the groupies.  ;D

;D  ;D

Interestingly within the steel industriy's heavy end, coke ovens, sinter plants, blast furnaces etc, all of the by product gases (coke oven and blast furnace gas) were used to provide fuel for the underfiring of the heavy end processes and also re-heating of primary products before re-rolling. Was no way near perfect because of differences in timing between production/consumption etc, but was better than nothing. If the engineers had been allowed to put their minds and our money to it they could have made the whole thing far more efficient and greener. There was just no need to in the recent past.

Increasingly with the move to "greener" production methods electricity is used to provide primary energy and I won't even discuss what is used to produce that  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Careful now, lads. Renewables is my home turf, and regardless of what you think you know, electricity and hydrogen is the way forward. As for hydrogen, there are, as has been touched slightly upon, different ways to produce it, but some of them are, actually, very, very clean. One should also keep in mind that the only electricity that'll be used for hydrogen production will be the electricity that can't be sold to something more efficient, I.e where you can produce the power dead cheap or where it occasionally will be free for grabs, like overproduction hours.

But let's not get too deep into it. That'll eventually violate our no politics policy and I really like Chris too much to upset him unnecessarily.  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Rick Lowe

Rheged

Remember, people, that a gentleman is never  ever  accidentally impolite!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rheged on September 05, 2024, 12:12:18 AMRemember, people, that a gentleman is never  ever  accidentally impolite!

Quite, quite. Just so, good sir.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on September 04, 2024, 03:18:51 PMand I really like Chris too much to upset him unnecessarily.  ;)

Noted  ;)

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: Rheged on September 05, 2024, 12:12:18 AMRemember, people, that a gentleman is never  ever  accidentally impolite!
Nope..it's a 100% deliberate 😆 🤣
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones