Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

Quote from: perttime on July 14, 2012, 10:51:16 AM
Quote from: Caveman on July 14, 2012, 08:00:13 AMWhat makes you think that the engines are going to be mounted on their sides?
The exhausts that I see are pointing UP, not to the side as they usually are with conventionally mounted engines.

The "spinner-looking" thing in the nose is the only evidence I have that there is an engine in the nose... except that SOMETHING roughly the size of an engine is taking up space there. Maybe the artist forgot to draw props (  :unsure: ). The front engine could have turbochargers with the ducting running inside the cowl.

Ok. I guess we will never know with just that picture and without the original aritist's input. But my interpretations is single engine, twin pusher and how the hell am I going to model it! (other than with a p40 nose and vert stab...)
secretprojects forum migrant

kerick

I swear I've seen this somewere and its driving me nuts! It was a very early take on a Colonial Viper but I may be wrong.
Update... Its from the TV series Caprica. Some sort of reference to earlier time on Caprica, airships launching P-40 style Vipers attacking the city.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on July 14, 2012, 04:48:34 PM
I swear I've seen this somewere and its driving me nuts! It was a very early take on a Colonial Viper but I may be wrong.
Update... Its from the TV series Caprica. Some sort of reference to earlier time on Caprica, airships launching P-40 style Vipers attacking the city.

Kind of makes sense, since several of Will Adama's personal photos on nBSG show him in F-16-esque cockpits.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

Like I need another project.... I have a P-51 derelic that is now calling me. It could be a late war development to replace the P-40 style one.  Hey, it could happen!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

perttime

Quote from: kerick on July 14, 2012, 04:48:34 PM
"Vintage Viper"
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=41024

"""""""""""""""""
Many in this industry and art form know Michael Reis for his fantastic contributions to the digital realm that is used for creating fantastic kits in today' technology. Today we get to show you a design he sent of this beautiful VINTAGE Viper... based off the old P-40 fighters of WWII! Very much Caprica-like! Fantastic! Could there be Caprica Kits coming?!! We shall see!
"""""""""""""""""

"Careening through the noir canyons of New Cap City ..."

I still don't know what exactly is in the nose. I saw another "pre-Viper" that had a nose intake below a spinner-shaped nose (radar?) but no propellers.
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=20449

scooter

Quote from: perttime on July 16, 2012, 09:00:04 AM
"Careening through the noir canyons of New Cap City ..."

I still don't know what exactly is in the nose. I saw another "pre-Viper" that had a nose intake below a spinner-shaped nose (radar?) but no propellers.
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=20449

These are almost like "takes a box of your favorite kits, throw 'em in a blender and go"
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

perttime

Vintage Viper:

"""""""""""""""""""""
The Viper is a 'pusher' configured twin engined fighter with forward swept wings that is used exclusively by Colonial pilots. It is long nosed, with the foreward fuselage having air intakes and a pair of cannons with significant ammunition stores, a wireless set, gun camera and rudimentary DRADIS. The rear has two powerful Voram direct injection engines, armoured fuel tanks, the wings and a vertical stabaliser. The wings have two machine guns fitted in them.

It is an extremely maneuvreable design at fighting speed
"""""""""""""""""""""
http://galacticafanon.wikia.com/wiki/Vintage_Viper_%28D21%29

More Vipers:
http://galacticafanon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Colonial_Fighters

kerick

I've seen the jet Vipers before, They are awesome. Trying to count how many kits and how much putty to make one of these.
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on July 16, 2012, 03:13:07 PM
I've seen the jet Vipers before, They are awesome. Trying to count how many kits and how much putty to make one of these.

Maybe we'll get lucky (but not holding my breath), and someone'll release a kit of them
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

kerick

Another case of not enough sale potential to warrent injection molding. Resin would be nice but $$$$. Kit bash I say!
Tophe the Wise

pyro-manic

Looks like you could get most of it from an F-86D and an F-18A/C?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

scooter

Quote from: pyro-manic on July 17, 2012, 07:51:57 AM
Looks like you could get most of it from an F-86D and an F-18A/C?

And probably a bit of Phantom thrown in for good measure
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

Cliffy B

Looks like a Dog Sabre nose/body with Phantom intakes and Hornet canopy, vertical tails, centerline drop tank, and wings mounted backwards with the outer section hinged downward (like a Phantom's wing but in reverse).  Probably Hornet engines too (maybe Tomcat?) along with some sheet styrene and generous putty to blend it all together.  Idgit who made it forgot to put the control surfaces on the rear edge of the wings after they flipped them... :banghead:  If you look at the underside shots there's even a tail hook!  Wonder what the carrier looks like.

Has anyone tried making one yet?
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

kerick

Definitly some P-40 in the nose. Looks like original spinner with the carberator intake above and most of the cooling intake below. Even has the engine cowl flaps on the underside. Phantom intakes and F-18 engine exhausts. Might be worth a try.
Tophe the Wise

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies