Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

Are those to scale :blink:. Never thought anything could make a B-52 look small.

Acree

The day we parked our B-52G next to a C-5 at the McGuire AFB airshow made me feel pretty small!

Librarian

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2014, 10:05:25 AM
Found this on flightsim.com during my daily trawl through their new files.

It's a UAV version of a B-52 re-engined with 777 engines!  :o

I've got a project I'm sorting out along those lines, only I'm re-winging the B-52 with 767 wings, then using two GE90 engines. I'm going to also have the u/c mounted in sponsons down each lower side of the fuselage which allows for a much bigger bomb bay, and the u/c will have three wheels per leg
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on October 24, 2014, 10:11:04 AM
Are those to scale :blink:. Never thought anything could make a B-52 look small.

I think they are, yes.

While the B-52 is long and wide it's pretty low as well, and a GE-90 is the same diameter as a 737 fuselage. Quite how the designer has managed to lengthen the landing gear to keep the engines off the ground I'm not sure as it's an X-Plane model and I fly FS9 myself.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2014, 12:15:57 PM
Quite how the designer has managed to lengthen the landing gear to keep the engines off the ground I'm not sure as it's an X-Plane model and I fly FS9 myself.

My idea for my project is that the pylon would be similar in looks as to the CFM-56 on a 737 (just bigger), not on a pylon like in the picture here.  If I do that, there's plenty of ground clearance, even better than the engine ground clearance on a 777. The reason it's better is because the wing on the B-52 is much higher off the ground than a 777

PR19_Kit

That makes sense.

The 777's pylon itself is pretty horizontal and doesn't drop anywhere near as much as he's done it on the B-52.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

Put the engines on it YC-14/An-72-style!  :thumbsup: Make the B-52 not only a two-engined bomber, but a STOL bomber to boot!  :wacko:  :drink:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Captain Canada

Looks silly. Prob needs 4 engines to keep the exchange simple no ? Or else it would turn into a procurment debacle, and we've already seen to many legendary aeroplanes go down that road..... :blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

famvburg

Back in late 1981 a friend and I drove a U-Haul to Conroe, Tx. for a friend. Passing by Barksdale AFB I was shocked at seeing how small B-52s looked parked alongside the KC-10s. A few years ago at an airshow there was a BUFF parked next to a C-5. Poor thing looked downright puny!

kitnut617

Having seen a few B-52's up close (they used to "over-night" at YYC - Calgary when doing the Lethbridge Airshow), I have to say while I was very interested in them, they're not that spectacular to look at.  But then, anything parked next to a C-5 looks down-right puny ----  ;D  (I really have to get and build the 1/72 kits I have of the C-5)

scooter

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 25, 2014, 08:31:22 AM
Having seen a few B-52's up close (they used to "over-night" at YYC - Calgary when doing the Lethbridge Airshow), I have to say while I was very interested in them, they're not that spectacular to look at.  But then, anything parked next to a C-5 looks down-right puny ----  ;D  (I really have to get and build the 1/72 kits I have of the C-5)

When I was a young Air Force Security Policeman stationed up at NAS Keflavik, we used to judge where transient C-5s were parked while walking across the street to the chow hall from the barracks, considering the cockpit was about another story(ish) above the Air Ops building.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

Quote from: scooter on October 25, 2014, 08:59:51 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on October 25, 2014, 08:31:22 AM

When I was a young Air Force Security Policeman stationed up at NAS Keflavik, we used to judge where transient C-5s were parked while walking across the street to the chow hall from the barracks, considering the cockpit was about another story(ish) above the Air Ops building.

I get a similar view when approaching YYC-Calgary at the south end of the airport and there's an An-124 parked on the apron of the hangars there, they tower over everything in the area.

Go4fun

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 31, 2014, 06:48:05 AM

That looks quite the business right there.
Is that a B/A-U812 Maynard with the Rolls-Canardly engines?
"Just which planet are you from again"?