Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Stumbled across this...

It's the Kamov "V-100", a design/concept from the early Ka-50/Mi-28 stages? I know that a Mi-28 design had such twin rotors, too, but the engines were put into nacelles on the wingtips, too. Also not the interesting gun barbette? Was not aware of this Kamov design.

"V-100: A heavy attack helicopter project with a pusher propeller to exceed the speed of 400 km/h . It was to be armed with 3000 kg of bombs/rockets, two guns, and two anti-radar/anti-ship missiles. Not built."

Of special note: the whole wing/engine/rotor section could be rotated completely for stowage!  :o

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 10, 2015, 06:06:58 AM

Of special note: the whole wing/engine/rotor section could be rotated completely for stowage!  :o

The V-22 Osprey does that for real, looks amazing when it's folded.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

That's pretty wild ! I guess maintenance would be easier if you could pop the wing/ engines/ blades off and replace them.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 10, 2015, 06:25:06 AM

Ah, yes, I remember that. But the central engine position is different and odd. Also note how the stabilizers fold away... Very cool design, nevertheless.  :tank:

kerick

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 11, 2015, 04:32:56 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 10, 2015, 06:25:06 AM

Ah, yes, I remember that. But the central engine position is different and odd. Also note how the stabilizers fold away... Very cool design, nevertheless.  :tank:

IIRC the center engine location was experimented with way back when. Makes sense if you are going to run shafts from one wingtip to the other to link the rotors together. Keeps more weight closer to the centerline to improve the roll rate.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

I like the first one. Might be inspiration for the Corsairs I have.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Go4fun

Quote from: dadlamassu on April 04, 2015, 11:48:39 AM
I was looking for some details of AA Vehicles for my fictional Africans and found this then got diverted into surfing for more!

I like the sextigonal tires on the Hind-Looking-Thingy.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Dizzyfugu

Not a whif, but ...inspiring! Called "RP-4", 5000hp, twin monster big blocks, unducted Contraprops ...attempt at world speed record.  :blink:

More here: http://www.barnstormers.com/eFLYER/2007/070600eFLYER.html

Flyer

My first thought was "they can squeeze 5000 Hp into that!?" then I noted the size of the pilot, much bigger machine than it appears.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

PR19_Kit

That reads like a landplane version of the MC-72, what with the independent twin engines etc.  :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Wow ! Looks dangerous tho !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

CANSO

Same guy (Dave Rose) built a pusher ("Renegade") as a Reno unlimited racer before the one above:

More HERE.
AFAIK both planes were never tested in the air.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: CANSO on April 14, 2015, 11:18:14 AM
AFAIK both planes were never tested in the air.

Does that mean they wouldn't fly???

Regards
Kit

CANSO

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 14, 2015, 11:20:45 AM
Does that mean they wouldn't fly???
Both abovementioned planes have the same predecessor - this one:

This machine ;) never flew.
Yes, I strongly suspect they couldn't fly.