Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: Snowtrooper on November 29, 2016, 02:23:23 AM
But it is sad that such innovation would be practically banned outright. Formula One would be far more interesting if there would be no dreary limits to the technology used. Safety, schmafety. Say, only minimum and maximum dimensions and at least four wheels, otherwise anything goes.

The same could be said about NASCAR.  Their "Car of the Future" is literally the same platform, regardless of car manufacturer.  And, h-ll, they still mandate carburetors  :banghead:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Hobbes

That "complication" also provided over 1G of downforce, which was enough to maintain traction even in an oil slick (as demonstrated in the race it competed). Gear selection in corners is important anyway so I'm sure a bit more attention to it would have been more than worth it (as it apparently was - I mean the Hoover must have performed well enough in the test track to be even considered to be used in a proper race).

But it is sad that such innovation would be practically banned outright. Formula One would be far more interesting if there would be no dreary limits to the technology used.

Possibly. But remember what happened: ground effect cars (with the side skirts closing off the space between floor and track completely) were allowed for a while, and cars got a lot faster in a short period of time. Too fast for the circuits they raced on (i.e. speeds so high that any problem would end up with a car smashed against a hard barrier, runout spaces were simply too small). That, and the ground effect turned out to be susceptible to tiny changes. Run one of the skirts over a pebble and your ground effect would be gone, turning 1 ton of downforce into no downforce at all and an inevitable crash. 

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: scooter on November 29, 2016, 02:47:19 AM
But it is sad that such innovation would be practically banned outright. Formula One would be far more interesting if there would be no dreary limits to the technology used. Safety, schmafety. Say, only minimum and maximum dimensions and at least four wheels, otherwise anything goes.

The same could be said about NASCAR.  Their "Car of the Future" is literally the same platform, regardless of car manufacturer.  And, h-ll, they still mandate carburetors  :banghead:

Yes - but IMHO it ain't bad at all. Costs are low, the sport is highly competitive, there are private drivers, and the starting field consists of around 400 cars. NASCAR might be simple, but the basic concept is good and sound - also the focus on long races instead of nervous sprints where a single mistake can cost lost of positions.

scooter

I'd love to see more road over oval tracks with NASCAR.  I know there's strategy going around in a circle, but even more going around Watkins Glen
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Hobbes on November 29, 2016, 05:28:00 AM
Too fast for the circuits they raced on (i.e. speeds so high that any problem would end up with a car smashed against a hard barrier, runout spaces were simply too small). That, and the ground effect turned out to be susceptible to tiny changes. Run one of the skirts over a pebble and your ground effect would be gone, turning 1 ton of downforce into no downforce at all and an inevitable crash.
So... remotely piloted unlimited cars? :wacko:

jcf

Then there was/is the Chaparral 2J.   :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

That's one of the ones I've seen along with the other weird one. I remember where, now. In Gran Turismo 5. I like this one the best because it looks like something one would store ice cream and serve it...with a sneeze guard. Or a deep freeze for storing shot deer, etc. It just looks weird, and cool.  ;D

Turns out the one I was thinking of wasn't real, but, it was a whif!

"In a world where modern professional racing is restricted by regulations, the X1 is a machine born from a fantastic "what if" dream of Gran Turismo: "What would the fastest racing car on Earth, free of any and all regulations, look like?" And the only way to experience it is in Gran Turismo 5. Initially the X1 Prototype was a single-seater canopied prototype wing car with covered front wheels. Powered by a 1500ps direct-injection V6 Twin Turbo, on paper the performance would have been spectacular, producing a top speed of 400km/h (248.6mp/h) and a maximum lateral acceleration of 6G. But once Red Bull Racing was brought on board to be a partner, the X1 really took off. Adrian Newey, master aerodynamic engineer and Red Bull Racing's chief technical officer, suggested "Fan Car" technology, a long-held dream of his, be added to the design of the X1 Prototype. A "fan car" is a vehicle having a fan mechanism which forces the air out from underneath the car to reduce air pressure under the car's floor. The resulting suction draws the car to the ground surface and creates a massive amount of downforce. And because it can create downforce regardless of the vehicle's current speed, it dramatically raises it's cornering speed capability even in low speed corners. Thanks to the insight of Mr. Newey, the X1 Prototype design was transformed. A large fan was added to the rear end of the body to implement the Fan Car technology. Plus, Newey provided additional input into the the design of the front and rear wings and rear diffuser, dramatically refining the vehicle's aerodynamics. As a result, the virtual X1 Prototype was able to achieve an astonishing level of performance. Its new top speed was 450km/h (279.6mp/h), with a maximum lateral acceleration reaching up to 8.75G, pushing the vehicle to the very limits of what a normal human body can withstand."

Someone made a mock up, I didn't look to see just how functional it is or who made it, just wanted a picture:

Here's a cool video..watch as ol' boy goes around like 110 degree turns at well over 100 KPH and what nots. I remember driving this in the game and it was insane.  I can't drive my truck OR car in a straight line nearly as fast as this thing would take 90 degree turns. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu5UvgIcMOg

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Never have seen the point in car racing since at least the 80's (Runs and hides  ;D). Used to climb over the fence with my mates and watch it at Crystal Palace as a nipper, it was exciting back then. Now ? Simply induces sleep in me now.

Now bike racing - motor or pedal - that's a completely different thing
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

USS Jefferies

And the video is pretty cool, too.
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

TheChronicOne

Fascinating!   :::raises eyebrow:::   :D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 29, 2016, 03:28:14 PM
Then there was/is the Chaparral 2J.   :thumbsup:

Oh yes, Mr Hall was always there with the right idea at the right time.  :thumbsup:

The 2J got round the problem of gear and throttle sensitivity that the Brabham BT46 had by using another engine just to drive the fan. It was only a small one, from a snowmobile I think, but it was enough to bounce the whole car up and down by the driver revving  the fan engine's throttle sitting on the start line.  ;D

Just the job to make your competitors a bit nervy before the start, eh?

Needless to say, the 2J got banned too, which was weird as the CanAm Series essentially WAS a 'No Rules' type of racing.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 29, 2016, 04:18:58 PM

Someone made a mock up, I didn't look to see just how functional it is or who made it, just wanted a picture:

Here's a cool video..watch as ol' boy goes around like 110 degree turns at well over 100 KPH and what nots. I remember driving this in the game and it was insane.  I can't drive my truck OR car in a straight line nearly as fast as this thing would take 90 degree turns. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu5UvgIcMOg

It was the Red Bull GP team that made the dummy X1, later renamed the X2011 IIRC, and it was in their garage at one of the Goodwood Festival of Speed events.

The trouble with watching cars like that running on virtual tracks is the game is SO good these days that it's difficult trying to figure out if it's real or not!  :o

I think Mr. Newey may be missing a trick with the fan on the X2011 actually. If the fan exhausted vertically UPWARDS the residual thrust from the fan would surely add even more downforce and make the thing even faster.  ;D

Seb Vettel could gain a few mph as well by having a shave, all that stubble must surely weigh SOMEthing.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 12, 2016, 09:45:37 PM

Seb Vettel could gain a few mph as well by having a shave, all that stubble must surely weigh SOMEthing.............

Has anyone considered the aerodynamic qualities of the late Graham Hill's moustache?  It may well have had an effect!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Quote from: Rheged on December 13, 2016, 12:11:38 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 12, 2016, 09:45:37 PM

Has anyone considered the aerodynamic qualities of the late Graham Hill's moustache?  It may well have had an effect!!

Good point.  It may have affected airflow creating turbulent boundary layer flow over his helmet making it slip through the air like Ian Thorpe through the water in a supersuit.
If Nigel Mansell had been allowed to wear an open face helmet he could have possibly gained a few mph.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?