Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Maybe it's the seaborne equivalent of someone stealing the wheels (floats) and leaving it up on blocks?  :angel: ;D

bearmatt

The carpet monster took it!

CANSO

Found by chance the history of this unknown to me airplane ;). What a great idea! ;D

CAPRONI-MORONI C2 "SCUD" EXPERIMENTAL FIGHTER

When the tide of war turned against it, Fascist Italy turned with the tide. The C2, or "SCUD," was one direct result. The engineers of Aeronautico Piccolino Abagano Elari Quattori in Turin were charged with designing an aircraft of modern fighter type that could, should word come in mid-air of another change in Italian allegiance, instantly reverse course and become part of the now friendly force.

Thus the unique two-engine configuration, central cockpit with swivel seat and dual controls facing fore and aft. Time for the SCUD (mean "Scuderia con curso il travala," or "turncoat") to switch directions and sides was set a less than two minutes from a top speed of 265 mph by air force consultants. This performance criterion was never tested, much less met, since pilots refused to attempt it, except on the ground with an ambulance close by. One pilot did take the sole SCUD prototype aloft, but once airborne decided to visit his mother in Salerno and wrecked the craft crash-landing on a nearby beach. The SCUD was painted gold by artisans formerly employed in upkeep of the Sistine Chapel.

A remarkable feature of the plane, considering its fighter designation, was it total lack of armament. The designers successfully resisted all attempts to ruin its unbroken lines with ugly guns. (from Bruce McCall's Zany Afternoons)

Text and picture copied from this site.

Old Wombat

Seen that lo-ong ago in the dim, dark past. In a book, I think.

Ah, yes! Here we are:

This book!

(ca. 1982)

I think I have my mate Neil (FAAMAN over on BtS) to blame for that. Great book, though, for whiffers & crazy-people! ;D

The book contains a great collection of - Well, have a look at the samples below:

(Images sourced from various sites but all, ultimately, the work of Bruce McCall.)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

The idea of Tank Polo is intriguing.  Granted, World of Tanks does tank football with modified T-64s  every so often
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

loupgarou

The original of the planes is from a Playboy magazine from the early seventies. I still have it at home. There was also an issue with cars, the ones I remember are different from the ones shown.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

loupgarou

FORGOTTEN TO ADD:

At the time (1970 - 1972 ? ) I had BUILT the Caproni-Moroni. Is that the oldest whif in history?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

I've seen some of those aircraft before somewhere ? And no it wasn't in Playboy  ;D Although at the time we had a guy in the Post Department where I worked who used to "find" all sorts of magazines on the train every month, so might of been there ?  ;)

That Septum actually looks far more practical than some real French bombers of the period  :angel: I love the idea of the bombardiers having a committee meeting over the target. First item on the agenda "Red or white ?"  ;D Not sure what the RAF equivalent would have been ? Perhaps "Time for tea ?"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: loupgarou on September 01, 2017, 12:14:08 AM
FORGOTTEN TO ADD:

At the time (1970 - 1972 ? ) I had BUILT the Caproni-Moroni. Is that the oldest whif in history?

Perhaps for you, but not in general.

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 01, 2017, 09:28:09 AM
FORGOTTEN TO ADD:

I realize now that I had built quite a few what we call what-ifs back in the 60's. Kit probably will up the anti pretty soon -----   ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

I suppose the FROG Interceptor Fighter Mk. IV from 1932 could be considered a mass-produced Whif.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1932/1932%20-%201135.html

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 02, 2017, 06:24:30 AM

I realize now that I had built quite a few what we call what-ifs back in the 60's. Kit probably will up the anti pretty soon -----   ;D

I think the real question is "when did you build your first intended Wif ?". I built lots of what could be termed Wif's from whenever I got my first Airfix kit back in the late 50's but they weren't intentional. The first Wif I actually thought about would have been my Airfix Fw 190D Nightfighter circa 1963/1964 ? I was really introduced to intentional Wiffery by getting into wargaming as a 10/11 year old. The vast majority of even historical games are actually Wiffery. Trajanic Roman's v Hannibal. Really ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 02, 2017, 02:36:24 PM
I suppose the FROG Interceptor Fighter Mk. IV from 1932 could be considered a mass-produced Whif.

Thing that surprises me about that is the full colour information sheets. Impressive  :thumbsup:

Nice find Jon

scooter

I was expecting to see a "Collect them all!" at the end of the sheet. ;D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 02, 2017, 06:24:30 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 01, 2017, 09:28:09 AM
FORGOTTEN TO ADD:

I'm afraid not.

My first Whiff was my 92 Sqdn. Lockheed F-104K Starfighter F3 from 1972.

It was a Matchbox review kit I did for Scale Models Magazine and I started the review by writing 'If I wanted a really good Starfighter I wouldn't start with this one!'   ;D

Ron Moulton, the Editor, wouldn't print that so I 'converted' it to the F3 spec.  ;)

Late in the year I took it to the Farnborough Plasticfest and met The Venerable Mike McEvoy there who was showing a Whiffed Miles Somethingorother there. The rest, as they say, is history.  ;D ;D

As for FROG Mk V fighters, I had 3-4 of them at various times, one of which was fitted with skis as it was snowing like crazy on my birthday afternoon and of course it just HAD to be flown! I also had one of the very similar Puss Moths, and kept it until recent years, and then presented it to the Solent Sky Museum, where they have a vintage model shop window preserved inside the main hall.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit