Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 12, 2019, 02:37:00 AM
Didn't the Martin-Handasyde appear in the 'Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines' film, and subsequently as a 1/48 model by Inpact?

I think there was a very similar aircraft in the film and then as a kit, but whether it was meant to be a replica of the MH or just inspired by it I've no idea.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2019, 02:42:04 AM

Review states it was a Pyro kit.

Nah, that review was probably written by a youngster in his 40s or so. The originals were done by Inpact and then got spread all over the place. They also did some 30s biplane fighters, a Fury, Gladiator, Bulldog and Flycatcher IIRC.

Lindberg took a lot of the MMITFM moulds and I think at least one of the 30s biplanes ended up with Airfix.

They were all in 1/48 BTW.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 12, 2019, 04:37:02 AM
Nah, that review was probably written by a youngster in his 40s or so.

;D ;D ;D

nighthunter

Nah, that review was probably written by a youngster in his 40s or so.

;D This makes me feel young, lol, at 36
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2019, 02:42:04 AM

Review states it was a Pyro kit.

Nah, that review was probably written by a youngster in his 40s or so. The originals were done by Inpact and then got spread all over the place. They also did some 30s biplane fighters, a Fury, Gladiator, Bulldog and Flycatcher IIRC.

Lindberg took a lot of the MMITFM moulds and I think at least one of the 30s biplanes ended up with Airfix.

They were all in 1/48 BTW.

Yup! Big Book says Inpact made six kits to tie in with the movie (but they made ten kits overall), these were reboxed by Life-Like and Pyro. Interestingly the book says Lindberg only reboxed two Inpact kits and they were neither of any of the movie six. But here we see a Lindberg Martin-Handasyde ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 12, 2019, 06:29:28 AM

Yup! Big Book says Inpact made six kits to tie in with the movie (but they made ten kits overall),

The other four presumably being the 30s biplanes.

I was helping out with my friend's model shop in Oxford when Inpact kits first came out and they were a revelation! Very high quality for the time, keenly priced and very topical of course. We couldn't sell enough of them, everyone wanted them. I'd be interested to see how many actually got built though, as they were all 'stick and string' models and not that easy to build.

I still had an Inpact Bulldog until this Christmas when I gave it to a good friend who's well into 1930s 1/48 stuff. I'm re-printing some decals for him as the original ones are WELL past it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 12, 2019, 07:18:56 AM

Hawker Fury
Gloster Gladiator
Bristol Bulldog
Fairey Flycatcher.

As an aside, an interesting story about the Bulldog. Many years ago my Dad had taken me to Farnborough Airshow (can't remember the year). The Bulldog was doing a flying display and I wasn't paying attention enough for my Dad as he said to watch the aircraft flying as I would never see one like it again --- bad choice of words I think now, the next day it crashed, totally destroying it and killed the pilot ----

nighthunter

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 12, 2019, 08:17:05 AM

Hawker Fury
Gloster Gladiator
Bristol Bulldog
Fairey Flycatcher.

As an aside, an interesting story about the Bulldog. Many years ago my Dad had taken me to Farnborough Airshow (can't remember the year). The Bulldog was doing a flying display and I wasn't paying attention enough for my Dad as he said to watch the aircraft flying as I would never see one like it again --- bad choice of words I think now, the next day it crashed, totally destroying it and killed the pilot ----
Robert, the Bulldog in question is now a static display at the RAF Museum in London. The year was 1964. They restored it sometime in the 1990's. Per Wikipedia.

kitnut617

Quote from: nighthunter on January 12, 2019, 08:37:38 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on January 12, 2019, 08:17:05 AM

Hawker Fury
Gloster Gladiator
Bristol Bulldog
Fairey Flycatcher.

Robert, the Bulldog in question is now a static display at the RAF Museum in London. The year was 1964. They restored it sometime in the 1990's. Per Wikipedia.

Thanks, I hadn't realized that it still existed.  I think I've read somewhere there's plans to get a Bulldog flying again, is it this one?

nighthunter

Robert,

That, I do not know. I'll do some research and get back to you about it.

-AJ

NARSES2

I had, and built a couple of those Impact kits when they came out. From memory it was the Gladiator and Flycatcher. I was young enough not to be bothered by rigging, and if I was it would of been thread from mum's sewing box tied around the ends of the struts  ;D Oh to be young and innocent again  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 13, 2019, 04:12:00 AM
I had, and built a couple of those Impact kits when they came out. From memory it was the Gladiator and Flycatcher. I was young enough not to be bothered by rigging, and if I was it would of been thread from mum's sewing box tied around the ends of the struts  ;D Oh to be young and innocent again  ;)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

jcf

The Martin-Handasyde "Lindbergh" boxing is a recent Round 2
release under the Lindbergh banner, it was not released by the
previous iterations of Lindbergh.
The "Big Book" is showing its age. 

To the best of my knowledge none of the Inpact moulds ended
up with Airfix, their Fury is their own mould.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 13, 2019, 04:12:00 AM

They came with a reel of rigging thread in the kit!

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 13, 2019, 08:31:20 AM
The "Big Book" is showing its age. 

Yeah it was published in 2002 with the last addendum out of four released in 2007. Then the author retired and left everything with Jeff Garrity (he of Rare-Plane Detective). Not sure what plans Jeff has for it though ---