Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Stumbled upon this VG Phantom build, somewhere from Russia:

No comment concerning the unit markings.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

Hmm --- wing sweeps back right into the engine. There's enough pictures on the internet to have this built right too, the wing should be at shoulder height, not mid fuselage.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

andrewj

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 14, 2019, 11:23:17 AM
Hmm --- wing sweeps back right into the engine. There's enough pictures on the internet to have this built right too, the wing should be at shoulder height, not mid fuselage.

You're not supposed to notice things like that , lol

Old Wombat

I'm far from being a prude but I can't say I'm impressed with the tail art or "home carrier" options the builder's taken, crass is the term that comes to mind to describe it. :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Snowtrooper

Strong situations require strong words, and IRL I swear too much and am opposed to all kinds of censorship (and I'm glad that they don't beep four-letter words on air around here) but this isn't such a case, it's simply bad taste. If using random squadron/carrier name from leftover decal stash was not an option, and there had to be a joke involved, I would still have preferred double entendre over this kind of "humour".

A good example of a joke of this kind done right is in IL-2 Forgotten Battles (IIRC it's on Pacific Fighters or later, like the 1946 collection) on PC: on certain US planes you can choose to decorate your plane with a variety of classical-style nose art, one of which is a completely innocuous-looking pinup girl sitting in a bathtub, with the text "Tub Girl". It's only if you are old enough to remember one of those original "shock images" from dialup days when you get the joke (do NOT google at work if you don't). Needless to say, a scaled-down photo or a faithfully drawn rendering of the original image would not have been funny at all.

Weaver

Interesting and credible Whiff - A Panzer II with a quad 20mm Flakvierling on top.

Posted on Twitter by Bos Models here: https://twitter.com/BojsnBo/status/1115382833000980483

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

That turret looks VERY tight around the Flakvierling. IIRC, the weapon needed four men to operate properly, and with the pics' reference I can hardly imagine more than two persons behind the gun, hanging half way in the air? The model looks great, but would IMHO not work, I am very skeptical.

NARSES2

Fantastic model but as Dizzy says doesn't look that practical.

If the side panels could drop down then it might work, or if it was a twin 20mm AA ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

I think it looks great.  :)  I can think of some places that cramped that I was expected to wedge into, to complete some military task or other. 

(as best I can remember, an actual conversation between me and my Chief)
"You see all that oil on the deck, out past those pipes at the back, there?"
"Yes, Chief - but I can't reach past these pipes in the front to get to that."
"Well, when the captain shines his flashlight beam in there, he doesn't want to see any oil.  Do you have a flashlight?"
"Yes, Chief."
"If you have to, tie a wiping rag to your flashlight beam, but get that cleaned up."
"Yes, Chief."
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Old Wombat

Ah, Chief Petty Officers, ya gotta love 'em! ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

The builder himself admits that it might be a bit too tight to be practical, but then he also points out that the Marder II SPATG was based on the Pzkpfw.II chassis and was equally crowded. In fact, he used Marder II gun shields in his build.

I suspect you're right though, and that a Wirbelwind-style shield with double-sloped sides to give more elbow room might have been a better idea.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TheChronicOne

Fascinating!! Thing says the wings were temporarily put on there because no P-40 wings were available but....  I guess no P-40 wings ever became available later?  Pretty cool either way!! Good ol' 1:1 kitbash.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Caveman

That must have been difficult to integrate to the fuselage. The p40 famously having 6(?) wing spars. The P51 I assume the more normal 1 or 2.
secretprojects forum migrant