Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 20, 2019, 05:56:04 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 20, 2019, 02:24:28 AM
Years ago I read about variable compression engines (possibly soviet, possibly fitted to tracked tractors) which, provided you adjusted them correctly, would run on a wide range of fuels including creosote.
Not sure if they were spark or compression ignition.

I think that's the key and you can just see a fraught/hectic/chaotic situation and the squadie going "now where did I put that instruction manual ?" :angel:

Or the instructional diagrams (usually printed on a sheet of metal and riveted to said vehicle) is either missing, so faded you can't make it out, or otherwise illegible.  No need to ask me how I know this... :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

I've seen Shockwave a few times at the airshows --- sad to hear it's now gone --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Scotaidh

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 20, 2019, 07:13:14 AM
I've seen Shockwave a few times at the airshows --- sad to hear it's now gone --

It's been replaced with the Super Shockwave ... a twin-jet adaptation of a '57 Chevy pickup truck.  Not nearly as big, impressive, nor as fast as the Shockwave.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Rheged

Quote from: Scotaidh on June 20, 2019, 05:29:01 AM
Quote from: perttime on June 20, 2019, 02:26:54 AM
There's been military engines that aren't too particular about what flammable liquid you feed them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multifuel#Military_multifuel_engines

"US M35 ​2 1⁄2-ton and M54 5-ton trucks built between 1963 and 1970 ... was able to use different fuels without preparation. Its primary fuel was Diesel #1, #2, or AP, but 70% to 90% of other fuels could be mixed with diesel
... a wide range of Russian military vehicles employ multifuel engines, such as the T-72 tank (multifuel diesel) and the T-80 (multifuel gas turbine).

"

IIRC, the Chieftain tank engine was supposed to be multi-fuel capable.

Rolls Royce K60 engines:- http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/31st-august-1962/41/rolls-royce-opposed-piston-engines    and Leyland L60  :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_L60  were designed to be multi fuel
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

Using alcohol or bio-diesel fuel from plant sources is predicated on having the resources,
and ability, to grow said crops, and having a large enough surplus over food requirements
for people and livestock. All doubtful in the film scenarios.

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 20, 2019, 05:56:04 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 20, 2019, 02:24:28 AM
Years ago I read about variable compression engines (possibly soviet, possibly fitted to tracked tractors) which, provided you adjusted them correctly, would run on a wide range of fuels including creosote.
Not sure if they were spark or compression ignition.

I think that's the key and you can just see a fraught/hectic/chaotic situation and the squadie going "now where did I put that instruction manual ?" :angel:

Yet another of the many things in life that work well in theory and even in training but tend to fall at the first hurdle of real life.

Another key thing is knowing the characteristics of the fuel you're feeding the engine. If it's a nice clean drum with a nice, helpful data table on the side, then sweet. If it's whatever random concoction you're siphoning out of a cobbled-together vehicle you've stumbled across that crashed three years ago, then good luck... :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on June 15, 2019, 06:56:44 PM
When I was living in the UK during the Eighties my plan for when the bombs dropped was to go to the top of the nearest hill, face the blast and hope it was quick.

Me and my school mate's plan was to go into the middle of Manchester, stand in Picadilly Gardens and try to plane-spot the warhead as it came in...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 14, 2019, 05:29:34 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 14, 2019, 02:18:11 AM

OK.  Soap box going away now.

Is that your post apocalypse soap box ? Obviously made from a pre apocalypse box  ;) If so don't do what my mate did once when we were 8 or 9 and forget to fit a brake  :banghead:

I do know what you mean though  :thumbsup:

It isn't a post-apocalyptic soapbox unless it's covered in studs and leather and has an immaculate pink mohican, because... reasons...

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on June 22, 2019, 12:08:51 PM

Is that your post apocalypse soap box ? Obviously made from a pre apocalypse box  ;) If so don't do what my mate did once when we were 8 or 9 and forget to fit a brake  :banghead:

It isn't a post-apocalyptic soapbox unless it's covered in studs and leather and has an immaculate pink mohican, because... reasons...

That's one thing you never see in any of these movies.  The REMFS - The leatherworkers hard at work sewing the harnesses and punches and attaching the studs.  The hairdressers struggling to keep those mohawks erect.  The structural engineers drawing up the terrordome specs...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2019, 06:20:40 PM
Quote from: Weaver on June 22, 2019, 12:08:51 PM

That's one thing you never see in any of these movies.  The REMFS - The leatherworkers hard at work sewing the harnesses and punches and attaching the studs.  The hairdressers struggling to keep those mohawks erect.  The structural engineers drawing up the terrordome specs...

History is never about the logistics train; it's all about the generals & politicians - sometimes it includes the lads & lasses on the front line.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Now there's an idea for a GB.  First one on my list to suggest next year.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

This is from a comic series I'd never heard of before called Scarlet Traces. It's in a similar vien to Ministry Of Space in that the British Empire survives through the use of advanced technology, but in this case, it's not Nazi scientists that provide the goods, but the failed Martian invasion of 1898. Originally written for online publication, it was serialised in 2000AD and has been put out in graphic novel format: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_Traces

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

A bi-plane, tilt wing, double deck VTOL airliner with no fin at all?  :o

That's some 'advanced technology' alright.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

jcf

Looks like four fins to my eye.  ;D