Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on July 30, 2019, 07:57:50 AM

Well since it's Japanese, presumably the missile is fired, taking off the prop blades as it departs, and that leave the pilot no option but to dive into the ship behind it and finish what it starts....

I did have similar thoughts

Quote from: perttime on July 31, 2019, 12:37:23 AM

I recall motor torpedo boats were, at some point, designed so that they'd drop the torpedo in the water at the rear, and then maneuver the boat out of its way.

They were indeed
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 30, 2019, 07:03:57 AM
...and then I found this pretty retro Audi R8 concept. Looks IMHO a lot better than the real one:

Interesting article to go with it (incl. more concept pics) here: https://audiclubna.org/what-if-audi-built-the-r8-in-the-1980s/

This is Audi's Quattro Spyder concept from 1991:

and another one from 2010:

PR19_Kit

Steadily getting worse to my mind.

The first one's brill, but the last one looks like a tank, that monster grille is awful.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

The more modern Audis are, the worse the "design" becomes. Not only that they all look the same, there are pointless edges and gaping maws with slit-like eyes everywhere. People complain that a Honda Civic looks weird, but Audi's family design is IMHO worse. Esp. the 2010 study shows this problem.

PR19_Kit

100% agreement about the Civic, especially the Type R variant! It looks like a fugitive from a Japanese horror comic!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 31, 2019, 11:37:59 PM
The more modern Audis are, the worse the "design" becomes. Not only that they all look the same, there are pointless edges and gaping maws with slit-like eyes everywhere. People complain that a Honda Civic looks weird, but Audi's family design is IMHO worse. Esp. the 2010 study shows this problem.

IMHO, ALL automotive "stylists" need to rethink style. 
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

Actually, I quite like the look of the current Honda Civic, especially the R; has a mean edge to it. :wacko: ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 01, 2019, 01:29:41 AM

Actually, I quite like the look of the current Honda Civic, especially the R; has a mean edge to it. :wacko: ;)

Mean? You're not kidding, you could cut yourself quite badly on any one of the umpteen sharp edged fins and add-ons!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: scooter on August 01, 2019, 01:29:15 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 31, 2019, 11:37:59 PM

IMHO, ALL automotive "stylists" need to rethink style.

Said in every era since the origin of separate automotive design and stying divisions.  :rolleyes:

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 01, 2019, 03:54:27 AM

Mean? You're not kidding, you could cut yourself quite badly on any one of the umpteen sharp edged fins and add-ons!  :banghead:

It's got non-functional plastic jet intakes, non-functional plastic jet exhausts and a tailplane, so this is probably the wrong place to be complaining about it... ;) :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on August 01, 2019, 04:22:35 PM

It's got non-functional plastic jet intakes, non-functional plastic jet exhausts and a tailplane, so this is probably the wrong place to be complaining about it... ;) :wacko:

It's still ugly................

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fifties cars had non functioning chrome and glass jet exhausts, Sixties cars had non functioning metal intakes and Seventies British Leyland cars were non functioning.

If you did away with the stylists then all cars would look like this.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on August 02, 2019, 05:09:49 AM

Fifties cars had non functioning chrome and glass jet exhausts, Sixties cars had non functioning metal intakes and Seventies British Leyland cars were non functioning.

Don't forget about the tailfins to help with the aerodynamics.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 01, 2019, 04:47:17 PM

It's still ugly................

The current Audi S6 has a Diesel engine with a massive turbocharger hole, fake air intakes and even a totally fake quadruple exhaust under the back - it is as if some young goon glued four yoghurt cups under the rear bumper! What a POS. The real exhaust, facing downwards because of the diesel particles, is hidden somewhere behind the bumper. Sad times, but there are still people buying such things...

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on August 02, 2019, 05:09:49 AM

If you did away with the stylists then all cars would look like this.

The key words, and differences, being 'chrome', 'glass' and 'metal'....  :mellow:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones