Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 22, 2019, 12:47:30 AM
That came straight from Tophe's sketch book I reckon.  :thumbsup: ;D

It looks similar to one of the '12-gun fighter' concepts kicking around just prior to WW2.

TheChronicOne

That's cool. I've lately thought about trying to do this with a Mustang for the Engines GB but I can't wrap my mind around how to go about it.
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

I've thought the same thing. Perhaps an F-82 with some sort of center pod like the forward section of an F-80.
The Spitfire version is pretty cool!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kerick on August 22, 2019, 12:03:34 PM
Perhaps an F-82 with some sort of center pod like the forward section of an F-80.

Sounds intriguing.

kerick

Quote from: Rick Lowe on August 22, 2019, 02:34:11 PM
Perhaps an F-82 with some sort of center pod like the forward section of an F-80.

Sounds intriguing.

Minus the F-82 cockpits of course! To be replaced with gas tanks.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

Quote from: kerick on August 22, 2019, 09:25:09 PM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on August 22, 2019, 02:34:11 PM

Sounds intriguing.

Minus the F-82 cockpits of course! To be replaced with gas tanks.

Prone pilot in the radar pod.  ;D

Rick Lowe

And the pod jettisonable, as an escape capsule a'la F-111.

zenrat

Pilot view above and to the rear would be abysmal.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

I've just found this:

https://www.deviantart.com/bispro/art/North-American-A-51-Stallion-plan-329874923

Pretty much exactly what we were discussing - so, with a plan, how long before we have it in plastic?

perttime

Quote from: Rick Lowe on August 24, 2019, 09:52:20 PM
I've just found this:

https://www.deviantart.com/bispro/art/North-American-A-51-Stallion-plan-329874923

Pretty much exactly what we were discussing - so, with a plan, how long before we have it in plastic?
That is a good old one. Worth remembering.
I've said before that the main landing gear should be further back

Dizzyfugu

The F-82 fuselages should be reduced in length to the original P-51 dimensions - with a tricycle landing gear, the whole affair looks IMHO rather awkward.  :-\

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, Stephane Beaumont's 'Stallion' is superb, and was the original influence for me building the 'Tri-Stang'.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

Quote from: perttime on August 24, 2019, 11:59:37 PM
I've just found this:

Turboprop this and we might have a COIN bird
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Scotaidh

Quote from: nighthunter on August 25, 2019, 07:11:26 PM
Quote from: perttime on August 24, 2019, 11:59:37 PM
I've just found this:

Turboprop this and we might have a COIN bird
How does the pilot see anything?  View to either side blocked by engines - at least on the P-38 the engines were below the pilot's line of sight; to the rear the view is empennage, wing, and tail-plane - and since the preferred shooting position is from behind, this poor SOB is a blind sitting duck ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Rick Lowe

Similar to the A-26 Invader... but still a cool-looking aircraft in both cases, practicalities aside.