Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

That's a problem with these vehicles. Making tight turns in city streets is difficult.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

I note they were displaying the Dynasphere at Brooklands, and it has ENORMOUSLY wide stretches of concrete!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Here's a thought: have two wheels side-by-side with separate drive to each one and steer by driving them at different speeds. You could potentially turn on the spot.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on March 31, 2020, 05:14:30 PM
Here's a thought: have two wheels side-by-side with separate drive to each one and steer by driving them at different speeds. You could potentially turn on the spot.

So...like a Whippet tank?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

:-\
Quote from: Weaver on March 31, 2020, 05:03:44 AM
Or, you could just stop messing about and go for a Dynasphere:

10 foot diameter and a 1000lb iron lattice framework. Built in 1932.  :o

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasphere

Video, with the device being explained by a delightfully 'plum-int'-gob' lady (as we'd say 'round 'ere):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvA7hDh_vhY

I've wondered how hard it would be to build a miniature one of these that was radio control.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rheged

I've looked more closely at that Dynasphere, and I must admit to some trepidation at the thought of about half a ton of ironwork under the (partial) control of the inmate operator anywhere near me!

I can, however, just about imagine a cross between the Dynasphere and the Great Panjandrum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjandrum being used as a Japanese kamikaze weapon against aspects of Operation Coronet/Olympic in 1946.

Why PANJANDRUM?  The answer may lie here:- It is based on a line of gibberish written by Samuel Foote in 1775 ("And there were present the Picninnies, and the Joblillies, and the Garyulies and the Grand Panjandrum himself, with the little round button at the top."), written to test the memory of the actor Charles Macklin, who had claimed he could repeat any text verbatim after hearing it once.]  Wiki research
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Quote from: scooter on March 31, 2020, 06:55:31 PM

Not unless there's some oddball variant of the Whippet with two 10-feet diameter wheels six inches apart that I'm currently unaware of...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on April 01, 2020, 03:44:05 AM

Not unless there's some oddball variant of the Whippet with two 10-feet diameter wheels six inches apart that I'm currently unaware of...

Whippet had, IIRC, two separate engines powering either track, and turning required speeding up or slowing down the opposite track
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

Yup, correct. Did not make steering easier, though.  ;)

Weaver

Quote from: scooter on April 01, 2020, 07:59:48 AM
Quote from: Weaver on April 01, 2020, 03:44:05 AM

Whippet had, IIRC, two separate engines powering either track, and turning required speeding up or slowing down the opposite track

Ah gotcha, but all I was suggesting was separate drive to both wheels so that they could be driven at different speeds, not neccessarily two complete engines and transmissions. Basically, it would work just like almost any tank, but with giant, close-spaced wheels instead of tracks.

Another thought: if you wern't overly concerned about maintaining the monowheel aesthetic, you could space the two wheels slightly further apart (but still narrow track), and thereby have forward vision through a windscreen inbetween them.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Well look what just popped up in my Youtube feed! Ya boy Jatwaaa doing a monowheel in Kerbal Space Program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_BmZi2lu1Y

Billy is VERY good at building things in KSP by the way: probably something to do with being an actual aerospace engineer...

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

An awesome machine indeed.  :thumbsup:

I like the way the little driver dude is overhung out one side.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-