Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

lenny100

It's the prototype for the Gerry Anderson UFO skydiver
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Old Wombat

I love this caption for the picture of the AIR-SUB;

"Amazing in the daringness of conception, and expected to be far reaching in strategical value from a military standpoint is the remarkable new submarine-amphibian airplane secretly tested by Denmark."

Why do I get the feeling that a Danish amphibian seaplane sank in Sydhavnen, in København, drawing a crowd &, when some erstwhile journalist asked "What happened, did it sink?", some smart-arse Dane said " No, the Navy are testing a new submersible flying boat." :unsure: ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 02, 2021, 01:25:13 AM
I love this caption for the picture of the AIR-SUB;

"Amazing in the daringness of conception, and expected to be far reaching in strategical value from a military standpoint is the remarkable new submarine-amphibian airplane secretly tested by Denmark."

Why do I get the feeling that a Danish amphibian seaplane sank in Sydhavnen, in København, drawing a crowd &, when some erstwhile journalist asked "What happened, did it sink?", some smart-arse Dane said " No, the Navy are testing a new submersible flying boat." :unsure: ;D

In my experience these Scandinavians have a wickedly dry sense of humour  ;) :thumbsup: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Medjoe

So I stumbled on a weird prompt: https://old.reddit.com/r/ImaginaryAviation/comments/lx7ja7/i_came_up_with_an_idea_for_a_fictional_aircraft/
I'm not sure how much it counts as "found" as in theory it's only a short blurb of text... and I drew my interpretation...  :angel:

Quotef-101 Volare a retro-futuristic single-seater fighter jet with 4 wings 2 on each side in an x shape the wings are swept back allowing for supersonic speeds and the plane has a y shaped tail structure armed with a front gattling gun and guided missiles on each wing tip the plane has twin engines placed in the space between the wings on each side the livery is the 1950s silver livery used on 5-86s with a shark mouth decal there is also a dive bomber variant that is painted in naval livery

It seemed outlandishly improbable as a combination of features that I could not resist sketching it, and ended up with this.
Have a look at my what-ifs at http://medjoe.deviantart.com/gallery/56223018/What-ifs
"Mobilis in Mobili"

Tophe

Good! :thumbsup: :wub:
Is the tail in X or in Y? :unsure:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Medjoe

Quote from: Tophe on March 05, 2021, 10:19:09 AM
Good! :thumbsup: :wub:
Is the tail in X or in Y? :unsure:

I wanted to respect the text as much as possible, so it's a Y-tail, maybe the isometric perspective isn't showing it clearly.
Have a look at my what-ifs at http://medjoe.deviantart.com/gallery/56223018/What-ifs
"Mobilis in Mobili"

Tophe

Quote from: Medjoe on March 05, 2021, 10:53:22 AM
I wanted to respect the text as much as possible, so it's a Y-tail, maybe the isometric perspective isn't showing it clearly.
Yes, the slanting view drawing could have several interpretations, but I understand the Y shape is a possibility (not the first one that came in my mind but very possible) <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

Nice sketch and an interesting idea. Would need two F-86 kits. Hmmmmm.........
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

TBH, for the fuselage I'd start with something more like a PR Canberra or similar.

Though the canopy would need to be centered and the intakes look more A-4 like.

Wings could still be from the Canberra, just using each half (upper and lower - and the other side plated over with card) for each of the wings and then being cut back a bit in chord and angle.

You might have to 'Frankie-Stein' it from various sources...

https://imgflip.com/i/200zgg

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Pellson

Happened to come across this as I was looking for some references to the wing tip Terma ECM/RHAW pods featured on late Danish F-100s. Neat. In particular the F-16 scheme.

As far as I can understand, it's skins for DCS flight combat simulator.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

Nice. Both would work also well with Austrian roundels?